The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to supras much advise needed

Guest Razorback

Guest Razorback
Originally posted by AJI

The Supra is a very easy car to drift, it has good weight balance front to back and it has a long wheel base and good power to weight ratio.

You could go for a 200SX as mentioned already but everyone is going that route. With a Supra you'd stand out from the crowd !

230bhp would be more than enough, just fit some less grippy tyres on the back and you're laughing !

I have driven a NA 6-speed and they are good cars, 1st and 2nd gear are nicely close together and would make for good drifting ratios.

Exactly why im considering the NA supra over a 200sx i just need to find a good dealer/importer or private seller who are reliable the ones i know of are not too great

The great news is, the NA supe seems to be the most reliable car i know of. I have never seen a engine problem posted for a NA supe on here. Infact cant think of anything posted to do with problems on here,apart from dead battery.

I remember someone posting there Cam belt snapped, but coz a non interfac engine, nothin was damaged so all lined back up and belt put on. Good luck trying to find one. Im sure u'll find a nice one. If your lucky with mods you'll be after.

Originally posted by 250horses

I have driven an auto TT and of course they are faster than an NA.

But a manual NA will keep up at low gear do to its different gearing to around 60mph, then the TT will fly past

that's twice now you've said that an N/A manual will keep up with a TT up to 60mph. That can't be right. there's at least a second in it, probably up to two.

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

I remember someone posting there Cam belt snapped, but coz a non interfac engine, nothin was damaged so all lined back up and belt put on.

That cant be on the NA engine, they are deffo interface engines, TT engines are non-interface, thats the reason why you can/need to fit a thicker head gasket when going NA-T.

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

That cant be on the NA engine, they are deffo interface engines, TT engines are non-interface, thats the reason why you can/need to fit a thicker head gasket when going NA-T.

I thought it was only VVTI NA's that were interface engines. And that the NA Non-VVTI was a Non-interface engine. Well u learn something new every day!!! :thumbs:

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Hi mate, if your looking for cheap power, have you considered N2o, you can get a kit for around £500/£600, make it a 100 shot (100 bhp + standard BHP), and you wont be far off the power of a TT, this would have to be put through a progressive controller, or you could make it cheaper without the controller, but wouldnt advise on any more than 75 shot(75 BHP + standard BHP).

Obviously you only have that power while you have good compression in the bottle, but if its only for drift days, might be another option for you...... ;)

Couldn't drift with nitrous reliably as I assume to drift succesfully and not spin the car you have to feather the throttle to maintain directional control. If you feathered off below the trigger point for the Nitrous you would lose a heap of power in one foul swoop and find the drift suddenly not going so well. Even with a progressive controller nitrous is just too unpredictable.

Originally posted by carl0s

that's twice now you've said that an N/A manual will keep up with a TT up to 60mph. That can't be right. there's at least a second in it, probably up to two.

I have always doubted it, and even after drivingboth, the TT always feels quicker in any gear, but the NA's must have one of those defy physics flux copasitors (sp) cause they do hold their own until 3rd gear starts winding up :D

Originally posted by whitesupraboy2

Found this thread :innocent:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23027&highlight=non+interface

Yeah, Sorry dude, I wasnt accounting for VVT-i's, thats where Im confusing things, I knew one was and one wasnt, I was obviously looking at some mechanics sheets for a VVT-i NA.

I'll go crawl back under my rock :D ;)

N/A's only seem to keep up with TT's to 60, If the quoted speed for an N/A to 60 is circa 6.5-7 seconds it can't possibly keep up with a car thats quoted to do 60 in around 5 seconds. Driving against any TT that is trying has left me behind them. OK the gap aint huge at 60 but then its only a second and a half and you don't get far in a second and a half at 60 about 1/40th of a mile actually. Obviously the other car is moving at say 55 at that point so it will only be a gap a fraction of 1/40th of a mile so not a huge difference distance wise. As you get faster the gap gets bigger so it appears that above 60 the cars are unevenly matched.

Originally posted by Razorback

It will go into drift better without the LSD but saying that the LSD will make it more controllable to correct from drift if that makes sense so it doesnt really matter i think its mainly down to personal driving style of which you find easier

Russ

I disagree. Without an LSD all that will happen is that the inside wheel will spin. If you want to kick the rear out under power you will need an LSD. In any case going into a drift is achieved by shifting the cars weight using the brakes, clutch or handbrake, not by applying power - the power only maintains the drift.

If you watch the "Drift Bible" DVD from Best Motoring (which is very cool indeed btw!), the guy demonstrates the various ways of setting up a drift, by using the handbrake, sidestepping the clutch, doing the old scandinavian flick or just turning in on the brakes. Then you feather the throttle to keep the back out, which is going to be near impossible without a LSD.

Guest Razorback

Im just going from experience ive drifted a BMW E30 with locked a diff and an LSD and it seemed to be more easy to kick out with the locked diff so i just asumed the supra would be the same i stand corrected:thumbs:

Just to get this thread back on track does anyone know any good dealers/ importers or private sellers in yorkshire i have money burning a hole in my pocket :cool:

Originally posted by Razorback

Hopefully after i find the right N/A or TT if i can find one cheap enough i will take a loan and it will end up something like this

Shouldn't be too hard. Yellowed n/s headlamps come as standard, someone is/was trying to get rid of one of those bonnets, the front bumper is I think available from Whifbitz, and stickers...........well, got any kids? :D