The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone running on 20" wheels yet??

wallis

There's a bloke in my town with an aerotop with 20" Lenso six spokers on.Looks great.Doubt if it would handle.Kerbing,potholes anything except a smooth road and you're in diffs.They do look smart though;really deep dish both front and back.18" will do me .

But if the overall tyre height, width and circumference is the same as stock (by using big wheels with ultra low profile tyres) why would the geometry be upset?

I know the ride from very low profile tyres would be harsh but I don't understand why the geometry would be wrong.

Anyone explain?

-----------------

Edit to add,

I've just seen CW's last reply saying it does affect it. Still don't understand why though.

But if the overall tyre height, width and circumference is the same as stock (by using big wheels with ultra low profile tyres) why would the geometry be upset?

I know the ride from very low profile tyres would be harsh but I don't understand why the geometry would be wrong.

Anyone explain?

-----------------

Edit to add,

I've just seen CW's last reply saying it does affect it. Still don't understand why though.

Surely the geometry wont be effected if there the same size as stock.....only the ride will be?

I'm on 19's, look's great but the ride is quiet harsh and it tramlines like you wouldn't believe. Tyre wear could be an issue as well, my rear tyre have worn really well but the front have worn on inner and outer edges and this is with me religiously checking the pressures (34psi).

There is one plus point, the wife won't drive the car now she hates the way it handle now!!:)

I am not talking about static camber and toe settings, but about dynamic camber control, how the camber changes in bump and jounce, and in roll. Also how the bushings affect dynamic wheel control. The kinematics of the (elderley) Supra suspnsion design are not at all favourable to either ultra low profile tyres, ultra wide, square shouldered tyres, or rim and tyre combinations much heavier than stock. Kinematics is the way a suspension controls camber, castor, and toe dynamically, as the body rolls on the suspension. Altering this is very complex, VERY expensive and just not worth it unless you are building a true circuit race car and the rules even allow such serious suspension mods. I don't just say this `cos I "don't like" 19 or 20 inch rims, I say it `cos it's a fact :)

• 2 weeks later...
ladies and gentlemen you have now scared the s**t out of me cause Ive just spent £3758 on a new set of 20" alloys from ultimate velocity who are putting on a top secret wide arch body kit on my sexy supra thanks lol

Nearly 4K on wheels!:faint: They will be alright as long as you dont drive the car just look at it;)