The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Q45 TB on a [ported] stock manifold

cowboy bebop

It's hard to take a picture of it isn't it Dunk. They always make it look better than it actually is.

Yes mate, i kept deleting them and trying again, the throttle body is a joke, i've taken it apart today and its f***ed, i've taken pics as i stripped it so will send to you for referance.

I've also stripped the polished t/b and done a little bit of machining :) spoke to my brother and were going to look into making some custom throttle bodies and see if its viable to do for not silly money.

Jenvey make various size single throttle bodies, I am incorporating a 65 mm one in my custom plenum for this turbo 1.6 4A-GE engine I'm doing. I think 70 mm is the biggest they list though. There must be a ready source of big single bodies form Yank engines though, I think the later Chevy V8's ran big single bodies, and they'll be well made.

There is a BIG downside to having a huge butterfly though, as off idle and cruise modulation goes to hell, as just a tiny bit of accelerator movement gives a massive air flow increase, with a tiny TP movement. If you REALLY NEED that much air flow multiple bodies are best, or a sequential throttle body set up like on an FD RX-7 plenum.

Jenvey make various size single throttle bodies, I am incorporating a 65 mm one in my custom plenum for this turbo 1.6 4A-GE engine I'm doing. I think 70 mm is the biggest they list though. There must be a ready source of big single bodies form Yank engines though, I think the later Chevy V8's ran big single bodies, and they'll be well made.

There is a BIG downside to having a huge butterfly though, as off idle and cruise modulation goes to hell, as just a tiny bit of accelerator movement gives a massive air flow increase, with a tiny TP movement. If you REALLY NEED that much air flow multiple bodies are best, or a sequential throttle body set up like on an FD RX-7 plenum.

The only reason Dunk and I were looking at after market T/B's Chris, is because the stock one I have needs so much removed now that I'm no longer using the stock traction control, and the cast doesn't really look very nice. I don't think I'm going to bother with a larger butterfly. Plus I also want to be able to use my cruise control, which most after market T/B's don't allow for.

The only reason Dunk and I were looking at after market T/B's Chris, is because the stock one I have needs so much removed now that I'm no longer using the stock traction control, and the cast doesn't really look very nice. I don't think I'm going to bother with a larger butterfly. Plus I also want to be able to use my cruise control, which most after market T/B's don't allow for.

The polished one ive got kev will be fine as long as we leave it unchromed, while your on your hols it'll be sorted :)

OK, I see why you fancy something different from the stock one now. Billet would be far cheaper than having something cast. A run of say a dozen, CNC'd should make the price a bit more bearable, but I can still see them being bloody dear!

Im looking into costing for doing 10, hopefully as we can do everything in house we can keep the cost down and use my car as the test bed.

It'll basicly be a billet copy of the stock t/b

• 2 weeks later...
just out of interest - what would something similar cost?

I've done this to help Kev out so not really costed it as a paying job and fitted it in between other stuff im doing, i guess you'd be looking at about a day's work non stop, maybe a bit more dependant on how nice the t/b casting is.