The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Any Regrets ???

markjodrell

Went BPU and although the car is quicker and a lot more urgent I do not see why it is regarded highly to me it is very over rated, and yeah I have had problems with my car but not engine problems (apart from coil packs but thats been sorted). The amount that people harp on about BPU I was expecting a massive difference, maybe my expectations were to high.

Make sure your car is in good shape to handle the upgrade then go for it, I doubt you would regret it.

but if you have any reason to suspect any problems like worn turbos then I'd think twice. Sort out the problems before doing it, that way you won't be left broken down and without a car when something breaks.

It's an excellent value for money upgrade, I can't think of many (any) cars that can go as well as a bpu supra for the cost of a bpu upgrade!

I didn't notice much in terms of fuel economy but accelerating that much harder does stress everything else more, brakes etc and so these need to be in good shape as well as having some good tyres and suspension too really - but that's all common sense isn't it.

The only downside, it's a slippery slope from there on in... !

Went BPU and although the car is quicker and a lot more urgent I do not see why it is regarded highly to me it is very over rated, and yeah I have had problems with my car but not engine problems (apart from coil packs but thats been sorted). The amount that people harp on about BPU I was expecting a massive difference, maybe my expectations were to high.

I'd say a power increase from 310ish to 380+ is like chalk and cheese.....

Not to mention the quicker spool up....its transforms the car.

Guest gzaerojon
It will highlight any issues such as leaking seals etc which many people blame going BPU, but was there in the first place but masked.

No regrets at all from me. I don't drive mine like a loon though and generally stay within 1.0bar and less.

that does make sense Pete, i have a decent set of stock tubbies being fitted this month so everything should be ok from this point on :)

Do not get me wrong there is a noticable difference ie the things you have mentioned, what I am saying is that the way people go on about BPU I was expecting a whole lot more.

Maybe my engine is a bit tired, who knows! Will need to get a power run done to see where my car is at and take it from there.

Also dont forget, arnt jspec tt's only around 280-290 bhp stock, its the uk's that are 320-330?

I have been full BPU for less than a week and so far the performance is electrifying- It truely justifies the way the supra looks and gives you the confidence to destroy most cars out there. If something blows like the 'big single turbo' I already have in the car- then it gives me the perfect leverage with the wife to get new one which is off course a 'like for like' replacement (wink wink) with the 'one' that has blown.

Mike

Also dont forget, arnt jspec tt's only around 280-290 bhp stock, its the uk's that are 320-330?

In real terms there is very little in it, about 10 bhp,

as for the ins and outs of going BPU, its a bit of a no brainer really, if your worried about problems or the cost should something go wrong, then don't!

if you want a decent performance increase and can do it yourself or have a garage you trust then what are you waiting for?;) it will show up any shortcomings/wear the car may have and if the engine/turbos are a bit weak then you won't get much extra power,and get things like smoke from the turbo seals or valve steam seals.

Depends on the condition of the car, best to talk to Chris and ask.

:yeahthat:

Ive been BPU for the past 6 months and love it, no problems what so ever and I really thing you need to make sure the car is up for it before spending any money to make it faster .

I been giving this some thought, you know one of the main things thats holding me back is wondering if the engine will take it, I had the check on the mileage done and it came back as genuine 44k, (still not really convinced though) why I say that is when Chris W checked my car out he said it was a bit "tappity" so at how many miles would an engine become a bit "tappity", I also get a wiff of smoke on start up which clears within a few seconds, not bad and only if not started daily.

CW did comment during his test drive that the first turbo spooled up quicker than usual which I took as a good sign

Something else , but if I dont start it for a few days the instant it kicks in there is a slght , very slight noise from the botton end ,not a knock or rattle but as if it a bit oil starved for literally 1 second until the oil gets round....then its completely quiet again.

What do you think ??

In real terms there is very little in it, about 10 bhp,

as for the ins and outs of going BPU, its a bit of a no brainer really, if your worried about problems or the cost should something go wrong, then don't!

if you want a decent performance increase and can do it yourself or have a garage you trust then what are you waiting for?;) it will show up any shortcomings/wear the car may have and if the engine/turbos are a bit weak then you won't get much extra power,and get things like smoke from the turbo seals or valve steam seals.

Ive done about 40k on mine at bpu level and it hasnt missed a beat i run mine at about 1.25 bar with no probs and it is a daily user regularly doing 500 miles in a weekend going from plymouth to aylesbury bucks, also my stock turbos were at 120k with no blue smoke on startup or while driving the only thing BPU highlighted was valve stem oil seals which i have since had done i believe this is fairly common on soops around 100k , i do have the oil/filter changed every 5k though and touch wood it seems to be paying off

Cheers chris