Stick <> Auto

Guest XiPHiAS

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest XiPHiAS

hmmm...

... for me it's not what system is faster, my question is can i have fun driving with a Supra automatic?

I would buy the car to have some fun in the weekends so...

I have a steptronic in my BMW and that system rocks, auto, manual ... downshifting... i like it...

Went to a garage today to check a Supra (auto) and i saw a button "manual" does that mean i can change gears like i want? Can i downshift like my bmw?

Another friend told me the sound of the automatics are not so nice like the manual ones... blowoff etc etc...

I defy anyone 2 drive the auto and say it isn't fun any Supra is fun.

Yep the auto can be driven manually as well, thats what the button is for. You won't regret buying either.

As for the sound well i have never noticed a difference between two stock ones.

Noise depends a lot on the mods you fit i.e. BOV, induction etc.

Just go out and buy it you won't regret it.:)

The engine note is defined by the exhaust which is the same for both cars.

The BOV releives pressure at gear change or backing off of the throttle. It doesn't make any differnece between auto or manual as releasing pressure at 1 bar sounds the same for both.

You will have more of those stupid whooshy sounds if you have a manual as you have 2 more gears for a start.

I had a dump valve on my previous car and the noise really pissed me off on the way to work in the morning, stuck in traffic after a heavy night. You need one that can be turned off!:)

Originally posted by XiPHiAS

hmmm...

... for me it's not what system is faster, my question is can i have fun driving with a Supra automatic?

I would buy the car to have some fun in the weekends so...

I have a steptronic in my BMW and that system rocks, auto, manual ... downshifting... i like it...

Went to a garage today to check a Supra (auto) and i saw a button "manual" does that mean i can change gears like i want? Can i downshift like my bmw?

Another friend told me the sound of the automatics are not so nice like the manual ones... blowoff etc etc...

The auto can be as much fun as the manual. It's a totally different box and driving experience to the BMW, but good nevertheless.

I used to like the auto for its ability to instantly change from cruising to flat out monster at the push of the throttle. The kickdown from 4th to 2nd is nice.

Yes the manual does make more noises... If that's what you want.

I went for a ride in Richard Harmons Auto BPU (running about 1.2 bar at the time?) on Thursday, its so damn smooth you really dont notice how quick its going until you look at the speedo.

IMHO auto is the best point and shoot weapon, and the RLTC makes it even more fun around the bends :)

Originally posted by Bobbeh

I went for a ride in Richard Harmons Auto BPU (running about 1.2 bar at the time?) on Thursday, its so damn smooth you really dont notice how quick its going until you look at the speedo.

IMHO auto is the best point and shoot weapon, and the RLTC makes it even more fun around the bends :)

I couldn't agree more.

Steve, the rattles and clunks are part of the fun of manual ownership!

If sounds and noises are your thing, get a drive in a singled manual... My god they make some bloody loud noises!:music:

Guest XiPHiAS

i mean the nice "sound" of the supra engine...

If u drive a tuned supra then u have a nice sound from the engine. My question is will the sound be the same as the manual and is the sound of the engine and blow off the same with an autmatic. Because my BMW sounds smoother than the manual version.

Guest XiPHiAS

When u shift the blow off release the air...

When the automatic is shifting to another geat that is smoother so i was thinking the engine have another sound then.

)There could be a slight different noise from the BOV as the auto probably stays at higher RPM than the manual (unless you keep it gassed up) and therefore is releasing a little less pressure.

As for the engine note, I'm pretty sure they are the same. 2,000RPM is two identical engines will produce the same engine note (waiting for a F1 engineer to explain why they won't now due to mechanical tolerances etc:D ).

The difference if any would be very minimal, the only sound difference would be generated by the transmission 'whine', even that I think would be difficult to differentiate between the two.

I would forget this as a 'criterion' for selcting auto Vs manual as there's no point.:)