The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stick <> Auto

Guest XiPHiAS

yes the auto is GAY

a manual car is so much fun to drive, you can hold it in gear, its like riding a crest of a wave. i would not like an auto in my astra 1.4 as it would kill the performance. the manual has a nice solid clunk when you put it in gear, its very strong like my tractor i drive. on a big field i stick it in 6th gear and plough the fook out of it.

do you drive on tracks or is it just spirited driving.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Manual - real sports cars are manuals!!!!

If you have a manual and the right driver, you can beat an Auto, but you need to know how to drive it properly, where as an Auto, well anyone can press there foot on the floor eh? Even dude :p

Paul ;)

Ok fair enough but could you tell me then why most of the latest gen sports cars are either semi auto's or tiptronic and most of the top class racing (F1. WRC. ect) are all autos/semi auto are they crap drivers then if so there is hope for me yet with my sludge box:p

Originally posted by Bobbeh

Lets have a look at the top cars that have lapped the Nurburgring, and count the autos there... erm... hmm.. 0? :)

And then lets look at the amount of manuals that take part in F1 and WRC err 0. :p Nah only jesting its horses for courses and what the individual enjoys driving the most...dont you think?

They're not automatics in F1 or WRC are there, its sequential manul gearbox in WRC - right?. Manuals were always used before the technology changed. There must be a reason why McLaren chose to use a manual box instead of an auto in the McLaren F1 dont ya think ;)

I agree, its what you have fun driving with. I could easily live with an auto, especially Dudes :D

Well what do you class as a manual, putting your foot on the clutch pedal and shifting the gears yourself or holding the gas open and pressing a button/paddle. IMO anything that removes physical contact with the clutch is an auto/semi auto and sofware that dowshifts for you aswell(ala F1 and WRC). Dont get me wrong i would love a manual but modern setups remove the human error so in fact there is less room for us to blame the car for our crap driving:D

Originally posted by migster

Dont get me wrong i would love a manual but modern setups remove the human error so in fact there is less room for us to blame the car for our crap driving:D

Exactly, so you'll know what my excuse if for my crappy 1/4 mile times, me :D

Originally posted by Matttrd

Only time i wish i had a manual is when i'm on an open road. However for day to day driving in heavy traffic etc the auto is ace.

Exactly:thumbs: Most manufactures are now realising this hence SMG all the fun of changing gears yourself and when you feel lazy flick a switch and hey presto auto. And during all of this your left foot is free to ....i dunno ....tap dance:p F1 and WRC used this tech over 5 years ago and then it filters onto the road(such is life)

But i still think the supra auto is one of the best yet as i have never driven anything to date that has such a well behaved box:)

Originally posted by migster

Well what do you class as a manual, putting your foot on the clutch pedal and shifting the gears yourself or holding the gas open and pressing a button/paddle. IMO anything that removes physical contact with the clutch is an auto/semi auto and sofware that dowshifts for you aswell

i get what u mean but the systems are a world apart from a planetary gear set and torque converter.

Originally posted by eyefi

i get what u mean but the systems are a world apart from a planetary gear set and torque converter.

They may be, but the emphasis on both designs is to reduce human error. If it was most efficient for the drivers to be changing gear themselves that's what they would use, surely?

I prefer manuals (for the driving experience) but believe that autos (in whatever form) are a much more efficient way to change gear.

9 times out of 10 'the computer' will do it better and quicker than the human.

but they do change gear, they just dont touch the clutch. they have a full set of ratios that they have full control over and there is a direct drive between the engine and wheels. trying to use this arguement (WRC) to justify the supras auto as being superior is a bit iffy.

i dont think autos r the most efficient way to change gear, i still have not driven one that changes exactly as i would as a driver. the supra box is by far the best i have driven and it dispelled alot of the bad ideas i had about shit auto's that i had driven previously. the auto box fluid drive is also less efficient at transfering torque than a direct drive.

now, i have no need to be convinced that a histall auto is a lethal weapon on the drag strip, i championed histall's a long time ago, and that city driving with one foot and one hand is relaxing. but none of that compares to the feeling of successfully swapping them cogs at the righ time at the right place on the twistys. i could get a computer to shag my missus, but id prefer to do it myself (and i would hope she does), even if i do fuck it up now and again :)

autos may have histall, but manuals will have zeroshift.

I just wanna say im very happy with my UK auto, the reason i got it was i couldn't afford the insurance on an import (im only 22) and i couldn't afford (or find for that matter) a UK Manual. Its the best Auto box i have EVER driven (much better than the sh1t they put in mercs).

i would love a manual one day but for now the auto more than satisfys my need for speed:)

Ok i never set out to say one is better than the other. What im trying to get across is that its not really true that a good driver in a manual will cream an auto every time and that "all real sports cars are manual". Surely if you are a good driver you should be able to extract the best from either car be it manual or auto, Hell i have and SMG car and and auto (for reasons im not going in to) and neither change they way i would like a manual to do but they do a good job of getting the gears changed when i need them to and i personaly feel that if i was able to drive a manual i would have a hard job of swaping the cogs faster than they do:)

Speaking from personal first hand experience, I've had both. Both gearboxes are very good in their own way, and both gearboxes have their annoying little quirks.

I doubt there are any manuals on here could out drag an auto in a straight line with the same power at the rear wheels, but on the same hand, I doubt there are any autos that could stay with a manual on a track with some obscure twisties.

I've had both, and I'd have either again. (although I have to say, I prefer the auto for a daily driver).