The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Cam Cover Set

j80leo

I can appreciate the work that's gone in and the quality looks superb but why advertise TDI? :blink:

Thanks for your comments :)

I made a few sets for TDi and they wanted them with there logo on, the last 2 sets i'd got both had there logo on which Adam was happy to leave on or i would of machined it off.

So you're paying for the 'rarity' factor and looks.

350 is a bit steep TBH:blink:

That's a nice piece of machining, £350 doesn't seem bad to me, the piece of material that it's been made from would be a lot bigger than what you see there. If a forging was used there'd be less material to machine but a forging would probably cost more than a billet.

What material has it been made from the finish looks to good to be normal cruddy ali, is it Dural or something???

Also what machine has it been made on, there's alot of work gone into that.

The logo's very nice there's a lot of passes gone into that.

Thanks steb, the material is a high grade aluiminium alloy i think the spec is HE15TF i'd have to check as these were made sometime ago now.

The kit is made from 3 Billets so most of the waste is out of the cam cover part.

Bridgeport VMC1000 machining centre with Heidenhain control

Thanks steb, the material is a high grade aluiminium alloy i think the spec is HE15TF i'd have to check as these were made sometime ago now.

The kit is made from 3 Billets so most of the waste is out of the cam cover part.

Bridgeport VMC1000 machining centre with Heidenhain control

Ah so it's not one piece?? Is the cam wheel cover part bolted to the spark plug cover bit then??

I have been toying with making myself a spark plug cover part from billet.

Yeah I have a Bridgeport TNC 2500 on my section it's quite old but it's the most reliable machine in the shop. It's more reliable than all the multi-million pound white elephant's we have.;)

Ah so it's not one piece?? Is the cam wheel cover part bolted to the spark plug cover bit then??

I have been toying with making myself a spark plug cover part from billet.

Yeah I have a Bridgeport TNC 2500 on my section it's quite old but it's the most reliable machine in the shop. It's more reliable than all the multi-million pound white elephant's we have.;)

The sparkplug cover just sits across the top and doesnt bolt to the cam pulley cover. I dread to think how much to make it out of 1 piece, the billet would be very expensive and most going to waste.

The older cnc's are good, my old comp has a 5 axis Bridgeport and as much as you can do anything on it its always playing up, its bloody accurate though which you can lose on the older m/c's i'd much rather be on and Interact 4 doing 1 offs

The sparkplug cover just sits across the top and doesnt bolt to the cam pulley cover. I dread to think how much to make it out of 1 piece, the billet would be very expensive and most going to waste.

The older cnc's are good, my old comp has a 5 axis Bridgeport and as much as you can do anything on it its always playing up, its bloody accurate though which you can lose on the older m/c's i'd much rather be on and Interact 4 doing 1 offs

Yeah the old interact we have is still really accurate as it was only ever used for drilling, reaming, boring etc. And if we mill on it it's 2mm cuts, so the spindle is still tight.

We have some Ecospeed's at work 30,000rpm and 30m/min feed, I think they were £8m for the three of them with a railcar loader etc. all that money but there's something really satisfying in hearing the spindle turning at 30,000rpm then seizing in fresh-air :eyebrows: , then hearing the lads that work on them shouting and balling.

Yeah the old interact we have is still really accurate as it was only ever used for drilling, reaming, boring etc. And if we mill on it it's 2mm cuts, so the spindle is still tight.

We have some Ecospeed's at work 30,000rpm and 30m/min feed, I think they were £8m for the three of them with a railcar loader etc. all that money but there's something really satisfying in hearing the spindle turning at 30,000rpm then seizing in fresh-air :eyebrows: , then hearing the lads that work on them shouting and balling.

Thats the prob these days with having to run such high rpms, it amazes me how cutter technology has moved on in a few years, speeds and feeds youd never dream of using 5 yrs ago.

well thanks again dunk spot on quality i would have payed more for this its amazing, just keep looking at it taking it out of the nice wrapper just to admire it cant wait until tomorrow to put the beauty on my car if the weather holds off;)

will post pics when its on the car

That's a nice piece of machining, £350 doesn't seem bad to me, the piece of material that it's been made from would be a lot bigger than what you see there. If a forging was used there'd be less material to machine but a forging would probably cost more than a billet.

You've got a very valid point there Sir;)

IMO, £350 for a spark plug cover is a great deal of money when there are other things to do on a car.

It's just personal choice and where you want to spend your money at the end of he day:)

You've got a very valid point there Sir;)

IMO, £350 for a spark plug cover is a great deal of money when there are other things to do on a car.

It's just personal choice and where you want to spend your money at the end of he day:)

sorry matey if i was a bit off with you the other day everybody is different and like you say its personal choice;)

Guest Nicholas

Blimey £350 is a lot of money for a spark plug cover :) mind you I spent that on my front speakers so I guess it's down to choice!

Looks nice matey.