The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Walbro & FSE Dyno results from today

Justin

Originally posted by Paul E

I am really at a loss to what else you are looking for lads...? It does exactly what it says on the tin!

This is all very disappointing, Paul. It might seem to some folks that you are deliberately evading the issue now. Several people have explained exactly what they are looking for : a direct comparision between a walbro on its own and a walbro with FSE. What part of that don't you understand?

You can keep saying things like "It does exactly what it says on the tin" and "been proven to work" but that doesn't make it true until you can back it up.

You keep presenting dyno charts of Supras with both items fitted as 'proof' that a FSE helps improve fueling when in fact it shows nothing of the sort. It merely shows that one or both of these items is helping.

Apparently some folks are be happy buying A,B & C because, overall, it achieves the desired result but if part B is effectively snake oil I don't want it.

However, let me repeat what I said before, just so there's no misunderstanding ;

I'm am not saying that an FSE isn't a good thing. I am saying that so far there is no credible evidence to support the claims made about them

So the only thing that is missing is a jap spec pump v walbro dyno v Chocoalte Teapot run

Check this out -

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fuel_pumps_test/pump_test.jpg

I am really at a loss to what else you are looking for lads...? It does exactly what it says on the tin!

I don't understand what that graph has to do with this debate... Fuel flow/pressure graph for the MKIII and MKIV for std and Walbro pumps but no FSE. :conf:

Originally posted by Jake

This is all very disappointing, Paul. It might seem to some folks that you are deliberately evading the issue now. Several people have explained exactly what they are looking for : a direct comparision between a walbro on its own and a walbro with FSE. What part of that don't you understand?

You can keep saying things like "It does exactly what it says on the tin" and "been proven to work" but that doesn't make it true until you can back it up.

You keep presenting dyno charts of Supras with both items fitted as 'proof' that a FSE helps improve fueling when in fact it shows nothing of the sort. It merely shows that one or both of these items is helping.

Apparently some folks are be happy buying A,B & C because, overall, it achieves the desired result but if part B is effectively snake oil I don't want it.

However, let me repeat what I said before, just so there's no misunderstanding ;

I'm am not saying that an FSE isn't a good thing. I am saying that so far there is no credible evidence to support the claims made about them

Fair point mate well put.

But..... it isn't really down to the seller to determine how well his products will affect your car every time. He offers the range of products and you choose what ones you want.

If you buy unleaded from the garage and it blows up your car it is not the garages fault it would be yours for choosing the wrong product. If you researched it you would find out that Optimax was right. If you could find no research then you would have to find your own answers by doing your own tests. You seem to be someone who doesn't believe something unless you have seen it with your own eyes which is the same as me. Also you can never trust a salesman (I can say that coz I am one).

If you want to truly and impartially find out how the FSE affects your car then dyno it yourself or don't buy it.

Don't get me wrong I do agree with most of what you say but I don't think it's fair to have a go at Paul about it he's not forcing you to buy it.

Jake

I seriously really dont mind whether you buy one or not m8- really I dont - it's not that big an issue with me and I have nothing to gain or prove one way or another

The uprated pump (whether UK spec or walbro) on it's own is a good thing - simple as that

If you want to see what difference a walbro pump makes to your horsepower then please feel free to do a before and after dyno run at Billing - I will be happy to loan you a pump

Up to you of course

:cool:

I seriously really dont mind whether you buy one or not m8- really I dont - it's not that big an issue with me and I have nothing to gain or prove one way or another

The uprated pump (whether UK spec or walbro) on it's own is a good thing - simple as that

If you want to see what difference a walbro pump makes to your horsepower then please feel free to do a before and after dyno run at Billing - I will be happy to loan you a pump

Hi Paul,

I'm confused mate. Your reply seems to be unrelated to the rest of this thread. I've no idea why you're talking about pumps. As far as I am aware there's no debate about the worth of an uprated pump, everyone accepts that uprated fuel pump are a good thing. Whether or not you care if I buy one makes no difference to the point being discussed.

Besides, as already stated in this very thread, I've already got a Walbro fitted. I bought it from you face-to-face about three weeks ago at that Sports Centre, remember? I'm quite happy with it thanks.

Did you see my post about evading the issue with FSEs? :D

(this all in good humour, right? It ain't worth falling out over)

Oh yes - I remember. So why not just do a dyno now and then get an FSE fitted to see if there is a difference?

The facts to the effectiveness of a COMBINED uprated walbro pump and an FSE are there - whether you choose to use them or not is up to you

Frankly I am not evasive (and your post WAS a tad OTT!), just bored rigid with discussing FSE's - buy..dont buy...it's entirely up to you!

:thumbs:

why not just do a dyno now and then get an FSE fitted to see if there is a difference?

Because I don't want to be the one spending around £150 maybe to find that the FSE doesn't help the fueling.
Frankly I am not evasive (and your post WAS a tad OTT!)
Was it? My post was carefully writen to get my point across whilst avoiding saying anything too controversial.

Originally posted by Justin

Why is it for sale or are you just strirring it up Phil :D?

I thought about fitting my FSE but never got round to it, uprating my pump made the difference I was looking for. As there was no conclusive evidence to show it would make a difference that would warrant the extra time and money ie set up costs, I did not bother. I have not got access to the equipment to set it up.

The FSE is up for sale if I can find it, I know I saw it somewhere:p

The only way this will ever be concluded is for someone to shell out for dyno on replacement pump followed by dyno on replacement pump +fse. Unless I am mistaken we done have this yet!!

I won't be drawn into your argument but I see it this way.....

Uprated PUMP:

.... allows better fuel flow. Or rather can supply the extra fuel required by the extra boost (say at 1.2bar)

Uprated regulator (FSE)

Simply allows you to make 440cc injectors look like 550cc by upping the pressure.

Regards

Pete

Originally posted by TRL Performance

I won't be drawn into your argument but I see it this way.....

Uprated PUMP:

.... allows better fuel flow. Or rather can supply the extra fuel required by the extra boost (say at 1.2bar)

Uprated regulator (FSE)

Simply allows you to make 440cc injectors look like 550cc by upping the pressure.

Regards

Pete

I see this as a debate that will help us make our own minds up.....so please expand on your reasons for a FSE Pete. :thumbs:

What Pete is saying is that it's use is as an adjustable pressure regulator. In other words you can increase the fuel pressure above standard, which will mean more fuel flows for the same injector opening, same as if you'd increased the injector size. You would then need an Emanage or SAFC to lean it out everywhere except where you wanted some extra fuel i.e. at high boost/revs.

This is what I am planning to do, with either an FSE or aeromotive pressure reg and Emanage.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, mine went on the dyno with a fuel pump and no FSE. It's overboosting at the moment (which I knew anyway as I have no restrictor ring as yet), but basically fuelling was OK up to 1.2 BAR, then it started getting a bit lean. I'm going to get either an FSE or aeromotive, purely as an adjustable pressure regulator to turn the fuel pressure up a bit and use an Emanage to trim it down.

It would be hard to make a comparison though, even if I go for an FSE, as it would be the effect of increased fuel pressure that would make the difference, not the FSE per se.

It clocked 430bhp at the hubs, but like I say that was at crazy boost (~1.45BAR), and consequently running lean. The graphs are on here somewhere - there was certainly no lack of low down torque or anything without an FSE.

Originally posted by SimonB

Well, mine went on the dyno with a fuel pump and no FSE. It's overboosting at the moment (which I knew anyway as I have no restrictor ring as yet), but basically fuelling was OK up to 1.2 BAR, then it started getting a bit lean. I'm going to get either an FSE or aeromotive, purely as an adjustable pressure regulator to turn the fuel pressure up a bit and use an Emanage to trim it down.

It would be hard to make a comparison though, even if I go for an FSE, as it would be the effect of increased fuel pressure that would make the difference, not the FSE per se.

It clocked 430bhp at the hubs, but like I say that was at crazy boost (~1.45BAR), and consequently running lean. The graphs are on here somewhere - there was certainly no lack of low down torque or anything without an FSE.

I saw the graphs si, didn't put 2+2 together to realise you were just running the fuel pump, and not the FSE and then relate it to this thread.

OK so basically what we've proven here is that the pump on it's own is good to 1.2 bar, right? (That's all 90% of user will use anyway as it's the max the tubbies will reliably give, unless you're UK, in which case you definitely won't need the FSE, as the 550's should be up to the job anyhow)

Now, the FSE will increase fuel past up to and past this point yeah? (As it increases pressure at a rising rate of 1:1.something with a 7 in yeah?) Well if the dyno graph is showing good fuel, then with a FSE, surely you'd be overfuelling and losing power? (I know you're going to be using the e-manage to trim it back, but I'm thinking in general terms)

Even eith an adjustable FPR, (Aeromotive) if you actually adjusted it you'd be overfuelling, just not be as much at higher rpm and load as the FSE yeah?

Does that make sense? What I'm saying is, if the pump is only just man enough for 1.2 bar, then maybe the FSE is a very good safety device, as it'll give you a little bit more fuel, and more at higher load/rpm which is where you really need the larger safety margin. But the downside of this is it'll rob power.

If (like me) you have a means to adjust fuelling, it gives you the ability to run smaller injectors than ideal (440's rather than 550's for example) yet still keep the idle fuel line pressure at something like stock.

If you went aeromotive, I'm guessing you could set it up to give you the extra fuelling at revs and load, but you would have to sacrifice the stock idle fuel line pressure right? (I guess that's not a problem if you have means of adjusting fuel maps, as you would just run less duty at idle) Are there any gains/disadvantages to running a higher line pressure but lower duty at idle? I don't know.

If something I've said here is not right let me know. I've already got an FSE, and am not into slagging it off or not, I'm just trying to find out what the capabilities of it are.

Cheers

Tony