The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol

Guest Phillw454

good find.

At last they [shell] put a figure on it for the UK version of the fuel.

Over the past year I've heard of all sorts of figures given for v-power. Even a number of magazines quoted incorrect figures.

It has been v-power in Europe for a number of years and that was always quoted as 99RON but the UK fuel intially, for some reason, was never given a figure.

My car definately runs better on v power. I tried some SUL and it wasn't bad, but with V power it is much more responsive and the low down torque ( which I love about the supe ) is even better. I haven't noticed any difference in mpg so far, I seem to get 20-24mpg most of the time.

On a side note I removed my dirty TRD panel filter and put in a fresh standard one, and its going so much better :)

I have no shell stations or tescos with the 99ron fuel anywhere near where i live or work.

I'm stuck with crappy BP ultimate, but to be honest all of the imported turbo's cars ive had (and there has been a few) have run 100% spot-on on the stuff.

Hi

Its abit random but i thought id post up about my petrol choice lately.

I have a j spec NA and usually just filled it up with super unleaded from where ever, tesco's esso etc.

Then heard some bad stories about tesco mucking up the o2 sensor and my car did seem to have that problem.

So i went out and found a BP station and tried some BP ultimate. Now it might just be me but the car seems to run ALOT better. Picks up better sounds better and the revs stay arround the 1000rpm on idle now as opposed to 500.

I also used RED X i think its called which flushes out the petrol system and cleans it all (only £10 from halfrauds)

Overall well worth it so if you think you have a dodgy o2 sensor or fancy giving the sup a treat i recommend this:)

Tesco fuel killed 2x lamba sensors on the wifes RX8 last week with the fuel prob

Regarding the NA you don't need anything higher than 95 RON

You my get better mpg on 97 RON as you will with any NA car

99RON ... you have to much money to burn ... pointless in a NA ;)

Ran my NA on 95 for 2 years and no probs, they are designed to run on 95 RON ,

Alot of the fuel spec stories you hear about in Japan are myths, they have fuel just like us only some of the high spec Turbo cars need the 103 RON which isn't that common out there anyway , most stations are either 95 / 97 / 99 RON

stevie b - your stock ECU should have sufficient limits to advance or retard the timimg to suit RON values between 95 and 99.

I think its only when you start going over 105RON (maybe higher) when you need to start going for mappable aftermarket ecu's.

When v power first came out every time i filled up i was given the leaflet and being a supra owner i obviously read it and it stated 99 ron then thats why i have used it ever since. Never even knew about them removing the ron from the pumps.....

What do you think about octane boosters???? +2 octane per bottle. Some idiot i know puts 2 bottles in per tank for his skyline this may well be a good thing i don't know. He is an idiot for so many other reasons like fu*8*king up my engine rebuild and fuelling which reminds me i must beat the living sh*t out of him should we cross paths again.... Bitching over i feel so much better.....AHHHHHH!

kslb - unfortunatley the idiot is doing what it says on the bottles of the octance boostes. The big CVL boosters (light blue and black in colour) only treat 20litres of petrol; on most cars they have well over 40litre tanks.... so if he is treating a full tank then 2 bottles of CVL is common.

On the smaller Octane boost bottles (usually yellow and red in colour) then these state that if you have removed the CAT then octane increase can be increased even more by adding more than one bottle.... but I think they state you should only be adding no more than 2 per tank.

silvershark - where do you get the 99RON value for v-power from ?

Testing of the various fuels through similar engines from some of the performance car magazines always puts Tesco 99 at the top of the list for performance... followed by BP and then v-power in third.

I think v-power is more around the 97RON value by the time it comes out of the filling station tanks.

No im sure ive read a flyer advertsisng it which stated it was 99 ron. Nearly 100% sure of this.

silver - thanks. A previous post in this thread linked up a Shell web page stating it was 99RON.

I always used to question the octane rating of v-power, but if they say its 99RON then I will have to believe them. But I am aware that there are numerous findings through testing which suggest that it may not be. But then these tests results in magazines and website claims that I've seen in the past may have not been 100% neutral and fair.

Still its a bit strange why they don't put up the RON value at the pumps.

Guest Phillw454
Tesco fuel killed 2x lamba sensors on the wifes RX8 last week with the fuel prob

Regarding the NA you don't need anything higher than 95 RON

You my get better mpg on 97 RON as you will with any NA car

99RON ... you have to much money to burn ... pointless in a NA ;)

Ran my NA on 95 for 2 years and no probs, they are designed to run on 95 RON ,

Alot of the fuel spec stories you hear about in Japan are myths, they have fuel just like us only some of the high spec Turbo cars need the 103 RON which isn't that common out there anyway , most stations are either 95 / 97 / 99 RON

OOO i didnt know that!! Alot of people said it needed to be at least 97 ron! Well thats good to know, cheers:d

Mines runs fine on V-Power, Ultimate and Tesco 99.

I prefer not to use V-Power as with Optimax, it used to break down quickly so I think the V power formula will be similar.

Ive definately noticed this about Vpower , if I have a tank of it in the car for about 2 weeks, towards the end of the 2nd week it definately doesn't perform as well. I was wondering what was up with it when I remembered Vpower goes off.

So now I'm just filling up with less at a time to make sure it doesn't go off. I used Sainsbury's SUL 97 the other week and it ran fine on that, if not quite as good as Vpower. Fair bit cheaper tho !

• 1 year later...