The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spinning the Back Wheels at Drag (Auto)

b.weeks

Excuse the line line (linelock) and nrakes (brakes) typo's!:D

Did you know you can edit things?!

All a linelock does is prevent fluid moving back out of the calipers to the master cylinder meaning the brakes remain on.

Line lock the fronts and the rear wheels wont have any brake force applied, meaning the autobox fluid wont boil quite as quick ;)

there was a discussion many moons ago that power braking a car can cause cavitation in the fluid (it goes all bubbly) which isnt a good thing. Anything up to 20 seconds was okay, but long term power braking wont do the gearbox a lot of good in the long run.

On a cold day its got to help to get some heat in to the tyres, but to get heat in to road tyres takes a lot of time and white smoke which also isnt good.

JB

Im sure Brian AKA tDR has got the lock up switch on his Auto, try Pm'n him and see where he got his from??

G.

Kinda right George.... the lock up switch is the one that allows me to lock the torque convertor (part of an autobox) so that it won't slip, which I mainly use for motorway driving.

I also have a Titan / Hurst line lock kit fitted for the purpose of this season's drag racing, mainly so that I no longer need to overcome the rear brakes for burnouts and launches. I have the switch positioned so that I can operate it with the heel of my left hand whilst on the gear lever - works very effectively but have yet to use it in anger on the strip.

Also, I hold the record for best 60ft time on normal road tyres :eyebrows: for this site so I think this would back up my opinion that getting some heat into road tyres via a burnout does help... I tend to give normal road tyres a good 15 - 20 sec warmup about 10ft before the start line then approach the line with a rolling burnout.

Cheers,

Brian.

But I can't get it spinning in the first place - assume you have a manual where you can suddenly drop the clutch - which I can't do in an auto.

Recall seeing some guy on TopGear a while back in a TVR being able to spin it 360 then carry on in a straight line. He had a had operated brake button for the front brakes to acheive it.

I have a n/a auto and it can be done even with wide tyres. Put your left foot on the brake pedal. If you have traction control, turn it off, if you dont then obviously you cant! Then right foot on the throttle keeping the car in 1st ( low ) gear. the wheels will spin. if they dont at first just floor it and they will go. Have fun !!

• 3 weeks later...
I use my MTs on the road as much as possible ! These are my nomal tyres. Whats your 60 ft time?:)

1.7 sec at Elvington... we'll soon see what I get at the Pod in April. That's on BFG DR's. I know you've had some good times on those MT drag tyres of yours at the pod on a prep'd surface (1.5sec was it?) but they're hardly normal road tyres!

I managed a 2.01 60ft at Crail (another airfield surface, pretty crappy) on Falken FK-452 normal road tyres which I can use in the wet ;)

I'll give you a wee 60ft race at the pod in April - always good to see Supra's being launched properly! I love surprising 4WD's off the line :D

Cheers,

Brian.