The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU-ish

carl0s

Even on stock twins?

I must admit I was of the opinion that it wasn't the fact that the wastegate was opening, that was preventing full boost in the lower gears.

Surely an EBC only controls the maximum level of boost, not the rate at which it builds up.

I'm not trying to start an argument here Nic, I'm just thinking aloud.

Hell, I may learn something ;)

When properly set up it should be possible (although I have only done it on my car in TTC mode, not tried it in sequential mode), basically on the i-color or SBC IDIII/Power Meter combo, you have the option of 5 different boost settings.

So no. 1 setting can be set up so you can achieve max boost of say 1.2bar in first gear, no. 2 setting 1.2bar in second gear, etc. The boost controller can then be set up to switch from one setting to the next according to the speed of the car, basically allowing you to maximise boost through each gear.

The new HKS EVC VI takes this one step further allowing the boost setup to be mapped against throttle Position, RPM, Vehicle Speed, Throttle Position + RPM, or Throttle Position + Vehicle Speed. So in theory you should be able to get better control of the boost in all gears and at all speeds.

I've not tried the new EVC VI yet, but I was thinking about installing one when I get the Fcon fitted in a couple of weeks time, to see how well it performs in comparison to the i-color which I currently use. More info here:

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=3208

Even on stock twins?

I must admit I was of the opinion that it wasn't the fact that the wastegate was opening, that was preventing full boost in the lower gears.

Surely an EBC only controls the maximum level of boost, not the rate at which it builds up.

I'm not trying to start an argument here Nic, I'm just thinking aloud.

Hell, I may learn something ;)

I found that when I removed the WG actuator hose on my UK car, I was hitting 19psi in first/second gear without even trying :eek:

For now though, 17.5psi in second gear would be nice. I'm rarely seeing over 15.5 to be honest.

I am in an auto BTW, so first/second are pretty long gears.