The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automatic to Manual

TheChin

• 4 years later...
Guest RoxyTT
I've had my auto for year now.Its nothing like i expected.My previous car was a Calibra turbo with about 310-320 bhp and a paddle clutch.So when i changed i thought i was going to be a little disappointed.Coudn't have been more wrong.The auto box is superb.Trundle aroud and it is smooth and gentle.Put the hammer down and it will rev to red line in every gear.Learn to use the box and you will not regret it.Don't forget:you don't have to put it into manual mode to get response.Just move between 1st and D,almost like a sequential box.Be careful on the up changes:it takes just a nudge to move the lever;too hard and your in neutral or reverse!The bloke that set my boost controller up was a dab hand at it.Acceleration was ferocious.Good luck.

This is correct ; you can change the gears at anytime regardless of manual mode. Manual mode just ensures that (for example) when in second, it does not drop down to first. Instead it stays in second as you pull away from a dead stop.

What I find curious is whether we are damaging the torque converter by manually shifting the box - particularly when we wind up in second and then let it wind back down through the rpms.