The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how much boost on stock headgasket

csa

Only when the rev limit increases, not simply through more power.

-Ian

Well people often make the mistake that the rod gave out when infact it was the rod bolt. But all i was trying to say was the stock pistons are much sturdier then the stock rods/rod bolts

this has been stated before

Pistons handle 1000+rwhp

rods handle up to 850rwhp but the reocord for stock bottom end is 1017rwhp. But anything over 800rwhp is pushing it if you want it to last

regards

Ragnar

then thats settled. thanks guys

the the boost question...are my plans of running 1,6 bar (23 psi) on 99 RON out of the question or is it possible with good tuning?

On a smallish turbo yeah.

I am planning on 1.6bar with V-Power and I believe Paul Whiffin ran 1.6bar on stock internals for a long time using the turbo I have installed.

As said before its all down to the mapping

Doyou REALLY believe these 1000 RWHP claims?? :) That aside, it's trivial to make an engine last for 10 seconds on a drag strip, but I was taliking proper engine usage on a race track :)

well i believe it when most of the guys on supraforums have posted up a dyno graph. For example one dyno-ed 1054rwhp with stock pistons tuned by Justin Nenni @ Tuning Concepts

i´m not saying JE, CP or some other pistons are worse, offcourse they are better and much lighter. I was just pointing out that the rods/rod bolts are much weaker

would you classify my BL T67 as smallish then?

I am planning on 1.6bar with V-Power and I believe Paul Whiffin ran 1.6bar on stock internals for a long time using the turbo I have installed.

would you classify my BL T67 as smallish then?

well maybe smallish/mid range i know P-Björck in Sweden is running 27 psi on V-Power with a 72mm turbo. But i would definately not recommend it.

I have a 71mm turbo and i´m running 19 psi on V-power

but why don´t you just get a Meth/water Injection kit to be safe ?

Regarding the rod bolts being 'weak' - the harshest loadings on a rod bolt are at TDC on the exhaust stroke, where the cylinder is producing no power at all, and this loading increases massively with higher revs (I think it's that square law that I can't remember the name of). These forces are much much higher than anything produced by the in-cylinder pressures caused by power generation, and those are compressive loads anyway. So the rod caps fret as the bolts stretch and snap. Yep, they give way first but if you don't rev past 6800rpm or maybe even 7200rpm then they should last as long as a stock motor would. So power has nothing to do with the rod bolt failures, only higher revs be they power producing or not.

I think calling them 'weak' is a bit of an insult to them heh ;)

The 'uprated' ones are an interesting proposition as someone who knows far too much about this sort of thing says it's all about the clamping force rather than the material type. If your rod bolts need to be tightened up to x ft/lbs then they can be made of cheese or of Hardium, as long as they can be tightened to that clamping force. If you want to rev higher and stop fretting (where the rod cap comes away from the rod due to the tension forces overcoming the bolt clamping forces) then you have to physically do them up tighter. This can then ovalise the conrod big end bore.

Anyway. The good news is that a good well maintained stock bottom end can see enough power to make most people happy. I wouldn't go much past 600bhp, but then who needs to :blink: If it's a daily driver and used on the roads that is.

I'm not arguing regarding how good the pistons are. I know of some monsters that use stock pistons and I've only ever heard of them letting go due to detonation.

-Ian

Regarding the rod bolts being 'weak' - the harshest loadings on a rod bolt are at TDC on the exhaust stroke, where the cylinder is producing no power at all, and this loading increases massively with higher revs (I think it's that square law that I can't remember the name of). These forces are much much higher than anything produced by the in-cylinder pressures caused by power generation, and those are compressive loads anyway. So the rod caps fret as the bolts stretch and snap. Yep, they give way first but if you don't rev past 6800rpm or maybe even 7200rpm then they should last as long as a stock motor would. So power has nothing to do with the rod bolt failures, only higher revs be they power producing or not.

I think calling them 'weak' is a bit of an insult to them heh ;)

The 'uprated' ones are an interesting proposition as someone who knows far too much about this sort of thing says it's all about the clamping force rather than the material type. If your rob bolts need to be tightened up to x ft/lbs then they can be made of cheese or of Hardium, as long as they can be tightened to that clamping force. If you want to rev higher and stop fretting (where the rod cap comes away from the rod due to the tension forces overcoming the bolt clamping forces) then you have to physically do them up tighter. This can then ovalise the conrod big end bore.

Anyway. The good news is that a good well maintained stock bottom end can see enough power to make most people happy. I wouldn't go much past 600bhp, but then who needs to :blink: If it's a daily driver and used on the roads that is.

I'm not arguing regarding how good the pistons are. I know of some monsters that use stock pistons and I've only ever heard of them letting go due to detonation.

-Ian

Good info ;)

i was in a way only talking about when you are going over 800rwhp on stock bottom end and most that are over 800rwhp have different cams and upgraded springs and retainers, 264 , 272 or 280 or something like that. And have the rev limiter to 8000rpm or more. And was kinda stating in those condisitions the rod bolts/rods give out not the pistons(in high horsepower supras with a stock bottom end).

and just for the record, my rev limiter is set to 8200rpm i have crower springs and retainers and HKS 264 cams. And hopefully i will see 800+rwhp this summer on race gas ;)

Ragnar

First of all, I would advice you to go for a 71 instead of 67, you can make so much more power out of it with the right peripherals. Pistons are good enough for 750-800bhp, rod bolts are the weakest link but this depends on your rev limiter, i got mine @ 8,200 but thats with titanium springs and retainers and i do have an HKS head gasket(stock size though-no point going thicker, u'll only get more lag as you will lower the compression) and arp bolts. I do have a build head as well, you gain a lot more power out of it, we saw on the dyno 70bhp more! and much better flow.

It dyno'd @ 1.7 = 720bhp but since that time i've done few more bits to it and i still have the NOS to set up(only as antilag). A good stock supra engine can take 750-780bhp all day long. oh and ive been running mine for a year on that setup.It doesnt even use oil!!. Its the peripherals you have to worry about!(pumps, various pulleys etc).

I have 2 setups on the motec 1.5 & 1.7, 1.8 is easily done as well on 99 pump gas but for me there is no point for street as its too much power as it is. So go for 1.7 but make sure your tuner is top of the top..thats all it matters.

I ran 1.9 bar mate and that was a stock bottom end, no problems at all and the engine looked mint when I took it apart. I ran 1.5 bar for track use though, sustained use at 1.9 bar might be a problem, depends on your luck I suppose!

Paul, I know you keep trying to get me to turn it up :rlol:

I am still getting use to it at 1.4bar :D

It goes REALLY well. A credit to you. It now has enough grunt to warrant dome better suspension, or at least some fiddling with the settings. I'll have a look and think about it. There's not enough rebound control on the front dampers.

It goes REALLY well. A credit to you. It now has enough grunt to warrant dome better suspension, or at least some fiddling with the settings. I'll have a look and think about it. There's not enough rebound control on the front dampers.

Thanks Chris :D