The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto owners.

Guest ROBT

I've been driving autos on and off since before some of you were born, and I've never had one change gear when it wasn't expected and put me in a dangerous position because of it.

Sometimes under light throttle they'll change up a bit quicker than I'd like, so I have to change them down manually for better acceleration (with the tiptronic its easy ;)) but I've never had one suddenly change down going round a bend unless I happen to be acting the fool.

Then again, my second turbo has never suddenly cut in either :D

what you can't argue about is that in an auto changing down a gear and accelerating happen with the same driver input, whereas a seperate input is required in a manual.......

An auto's changing up can be more random.........if say you are accelerating off a roundabout onto a curved slip road and the cars is in say second if you unexpectedly had to slow for any reason it will change up......manual mode will stop this but in all honesty its not used by most even some of the time......

A CW quote i found "You MUST have an auto in manual mode to slide it safely about, otherwise lifting off causes it to change up a gear and put a shock loading into the rear drivetrain. That's why so many autos get written off. Book a track day at Oulton and I'll show you how to slide it properly.... I LOVE melting other peoples tyres"

An auto's changing up can be more random.........if say you are accelerating off a roundabout onto a curved slip road and the cars is in say second if you unexpectedly had to slow for any reason it will change up......manual mode will stop this but in all honesty its not used by most even some of the time......

Can say I've ever noticed!

FWIW I have to drive way beyond sensible to get the back out. Usually the back only goes when, for some reason, I'm actually trying to get it to step out.

I dunno. Seems like so much of this autobox badness is only experienced by those driving gods with their manual boxes.

Anyway, RobT, I notice that you are in Yorkshire. If you can make a meet at some point I'll take you for a drive. I'll put some worn tyres on and switch off RLTC as long as you get out and smear Lard all over the road.:blink:

No, as Classone has already pointed out, the gear change is dependant on revs, throttle position etc. Of course, if you are stupid enough to rev through a sharp bend then yes, it will change up.

I'm not talking about stamping on the accelerator and dropping down a gear.

It still can change gear when cornering , you could be on the threshold of 2nd gear and only increase speed a little and it would change gear to 3rd, just the same as it would when driving in a straight line.

I'm not talking about stamping on the accelerator and dropping down a gear.

It still can change gear when cornering , you could be on the threshold of 2nd gear and only increase speed a little and it would change gear to 3rd, just the same as it would when driving in a straight line.

But why would you be pressing the throttle to the threshold of second gear change when you are in the middle of a sharp bend? :blink:

Driving an auto has different characteristics than a manual for sure. For one they're easier.

If you are in a spirited mode, then using the manual mode on the Supras superb auto box will give you all the characteristics of a manual. Especially in D as it defaults to 3rd gear and will only change into O/D as you near the redline to protect the engine. (I know this as part of the research I did for the write up for the auto box operation ;) ). By using this gear, you get amazing engine flexibility, more than enough for a back road blast and you get engine breaking to boot. If you have a TT you'll also get kickdown if you need it, even in manual. (Not in the N/a's though.)

If you are pootling around, then stick it in D, let the ECU do all the work. All you have to do is use your right foot sensibly and the car won't "catch you out".

The only thing that causes a skid is the driver either driving too fast for the conditions, braking too hard for the conditions, or asking too much of the car or its tyres, or exceeding their own ability. I would hazard a guess and say the last one is the majority of cases. ;) :)

The Supras autobox is one of the best I've ever driven. Look at how versatile they are. Capable of pootling around with silky smooth changes, coping with WOT changes, and even taking upto around 500bhp. There aren't many boxes that can do that are there.

I'll quite happily show anyone how good the box is and how it won't catch you out. ;) :D

I used to have an auto celica, and I must say the kickdown was very sensitive, often getting complaints from the missus when I needed a bit more acceleration and then it dropped a gear only to change back to the original gear I was in 2 seconds later.

The Supra box is soo much better, I find I really have to stick my foot down hard for it to change gear, might be due to the more power provided more responsively than the celica, but it only kicks down when I want it to.

I heard a similar statement "The box kept dropping gears all the time, it was rubbish" by someone I met who apparently had owned an auto supra before......my arse!! (he now has a corsa..)

Engine braking is easily done by changing down or taking O/D off, pads were wearing low recently so used engine braking quite a bit before I got them changed, can be very effective.

As for the second turbo accidently kicking in, it happens once, then it only goes when you want it to (touch wood)

I use Manu mode all the time on my Auto. I love the additional control it has around town but also love the full auto D mode for longer drives on the motoway.

In Manu mode, you certainly get some great engine breaking. Dropping the gear from 3rd to 2nd when travelling at around 30 gives you an immediate brake and accompanied by the left foot you'd be amazed how quickly the car can stop - just as quick as a manual I'd say.

Plus, I do think the Manu mode gives a far more spirited drive around town and the twistys. It's the best of both worlds. :)

Greg

All very interesting reading.

As I've always driven manual N/A cars, its been a steep learning curve with the auto, turbos and rear wheel drive.

Now after nearly having the car for a year, and driving in virtually all weather conditions, I'm feeling far more confident about driving the car. This may sound feeble, but I didn't want to end up either the wrong way round in traffic (once) or in a tree cos of over cooking the loud pedal. I do drive relatively sensibly, more for fuel consumption than anything else, but a spirited drive once in a while feels absolutely excellent!

I will experiment with all the combinations to get the most out of driving, but first of all I've got to get these new Goodyear's on the rear before I can really give it a go!

Cheers!