The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Delimiting - How to?

Digsy

I called JIC on Friday to get some feedback on my queries. Unfortunately their conversions guy has been off sick for a while so they didn't have any answers.

I'll try them again this Friday...

Does anyone know who they use for their conversion work?

Darren

Still can't find my notebook that I wrote the original instructions in which is driving me nuts - soon as I stop searching it will re-appear in the first place I looked..aarrggh

Anyway - spoke to Tim & Steve, they gave me the phone number of the guy that did the conversion, but when I rang & said basically 'can you run that by me again' he was fairly aghast & said definitely NOT a DIY job, need to take it in or pull it out & post it..now I know when I spoke to whoever before it really didn't sound like rocket science, i just didn't get round to it 'cos of the snow etc, yes OK I know...

SO - rang Tim again & asked WT* & he just said take it in & we'll cover any costs! Said place is I think in Buckingham.

Apparently problem is something to do with the de-limiter being by the gearbox & not behind the dash, so when they do the odo the signal gets divided twice as they are not aware of original slowing down of signal - I'm sorry this is not very technical, I'm not au fait with the correct terms! Seems as if one person does the de-limiting & another the speedo/odo conversion which seems a bit odd.

I shall continue to hunt for instructions & maybe take car to be fixed if I get time, so will keep you posted. It was all a bit vague but they probably didn't think I'd understand anyway!

Andy Metcalfe should be able to give a description as he has only had his car a few weeks and just had the delimit done.

He had found the limit several times that I know of.

He may be working a way this week.  If he does not pick up this thread,  I will ask him to post next time I see him.

I lost the direction of this thread. What do you mean by "limitation barrier"? Are we still talking here about the top speed limit on the J-spec car?

Yours,

J

Quote: from Paul Booth on 10:26 am on July 23, 2001[br]What are the characteristics of a car hitting the limitation barrier?

While mine is supposed to be de-limited, getting it passed a displayed 120 is near impossible; well, it struggles beyond.

If I know what to look for, and we get the specs for a good conversion, I can do the work to ensure mine is done correctly.

About 120 mph the car will seem to cut out for an instant then come back on power again. Which will repeat until you back off below the speed-cut threshhold.

The way to defeat it is to clamp the frequency of the speed-signal being fed to the ECU. The easiest way IMO is to simply fit the HKS SLD. There are two types depending upon whether the car is manual or auto.

Yours,

J

Nope, it's not that. It just runs out of wind. It will keep accelerating but veeeery slowly.

I was worrying about engine ECUs getting confused by badly routed information.

If I can find out who's done what and how to mine, I can reset it to near original and fit the HKS jobby.

Do you know pricing and availability?

So it sounds like JIC apply a "divided" signal to the ECU. That's what I originally thought but I'll call them myself on tomorrow.

Without wishing to slander JIC, the concensus here seems to be that this is not the best way to delimit a car.

Darren

I've had two cars from JIC though, both imported and derestricted by them, and they both happily run to 170mph+ on the speedo.

Perhaps the car was owned previosuly in the UK and someone else had a go or maybe they've changed the people who do the delimiting?

Phil,

No odd behaviour from the car at all? Strange Auto box operation? Warning lights? Error codes?

Nothing?

I checked out the Smartgroups site the other day and someone else was complaining about a dodgy speedo conversion / delimiting job...

Darren

Quote: from Paul Booth on 3:03 pm on July 24, 2001[br]
Quote: from branners on 1:06 pm on July 24, 2001[br]We sell the HKS SLD in Shop!!

As with most HKS parts it should be pretty much immediately available.

JB

Shop!!

OK quickdraw, how about the price?

manual is £81 ex vat and del

auto is £107 ex vat and del

JB

Shop!!

• 10 years later...