The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lexus oil filter

secondjump

Yes it does, suppose to be a better filter

Toyota/ Lexus Oil Filters - 90915-20004 vs. 08922-02011

The oil filter (90915-20004) is the V8 Lexus oil filter that will fit the supra perfectly, its used on Lexus V8 engines, it was recommended over the stock toyota supra filter ( 08922-02011). The V8 Lexus oil filter is made in Japan and comes greased up and sealed for clean installation, you don't find that on the supra stock filter, also the V8 Lexus oil filter holds a higher capacity of oil and have a larger filtering area, also the filtering material on V8 Lexus oil filter 'looks' superior to the traditional filtering material on supra stock.

Found this on http://www.mkiv.com

Tried to post the link but it wouldn't work!

• 4 months later...

Allthough i use these its worth noteing that on supraforums there was a thread about the oil light staying on for a split second on start up , concensus was that it was due to not using the stock filter , most of the guys were using the Lexus version !!!!

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by tbourner

Well I'm 'only' using Mobil1, and I'm changing every 3000 miles.

But that's my point surely the regular changes mean a good filter is pretty unnecessary.

I see what you mean though it's only a few quid!!

Trev, the way i see it is .........contaminants are a constant problem and a better filter will hopefully remove much finer particles.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Faith Adopter

Why particularly for those running 10 50 silkoline as opposed to valvoline 5 50?? I don't understand is the 10 50 less protective?

The pro 10 50 silkoline is said to be better (ask oilman for technical breakdown) and should be good for 6000+miles depending on mods etc.

I did change oil more frequent than this but will run for longer on the silkolene therefore i like the idea of using a good filter as a partner to this.:thumbs:

• 2 years later...

Thread ressurection at it's best.:)

I fitted one of these V8 filters thinking great it's bigger & better but someone asked me how do I know if the filter's internal relief valve is suitable for the 6 cylinder since it was designed for a V8. It could be set to a lower pressure and allowing the oil to by-pass the filter. Anyone know for sure?

Good point, sorry i don't know the answer though, personally i don't know why the big thing about filters, and oil for that matter, i use a Shell semi synth and Blueprint filters, and they Japanese made, probably from the same factory and to the same spec as the genuine Toyota and TRD ones for that matter, don't want to pay £30-40 a time for oil that i'm going to chuck every 3,000 mls;)

Internal relief valve? I've not seen anything that looks mechanical in one of them, and who'd have a *filter* bypass valve anyway? :blink: Wouldn't that be daft? (willing to be told differently)

-Ian

Relief (By-Pass) Valve. In a full flow system, all the oil passes through the filter to reach the engine. If the filter clogs, an alternative route to the engine must be provided for the oil, or the bearings and other internal parts may fail, due to oil starvation. A relief, or by-pass, valve is used to allow unfiltered oil to lubricate the engine. Unfiltered oil is far better than no oil at all. This relief (by-pass) valve is built into the engine block in some cars. Otherwise, the relief (by-pass) valve is a component of the oil filter itself. Under normal conditions, the valve remains closed. When there is sufficient contaminant in the oil filter to reach a preset level of pressure differential to oil flow (around 10-12 PSI in most passenger cars), pressure differential on the relief (by-pass) valve caused it to open. This condition can occur when the oil filter has become clogged or when the weather is cold and the oil is thick and flows slowly.

Little bit of bumff from this link.

http://www.theautochannel.com/e_about/filters.html

What do we have on ours?:search:

Found a better link with dismantled pics, they all seem to mention an internal relief valve. Mind you they are for a 5.0 ltr ford engine so I dont know if they are all fitted with this or not.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html