The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard Top End

Manic

Originally posted by Timwildman

your speedo is diffrent to mine?:thumbs: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/timwildman/Nurburgring/RT25.jpg

Yep it is, yours is the same as mine, it is the facelift, so it has the ODO in the centre of the speedo, and the push rod to reset the trip computer. Millhouse has the pre-facelift green numerical display where we have our engine light and "snow" mode lights etc.

Ben..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lad we know with a uk supra has filmed his speedo at 180 on clock. he was holding camcorder at the time and he is nuts. most i have been is 160 on speedo and lost bottle as roadside goes way to fast. but at 140 it just feels like ok and solid on road.

not too fussed for top speeds

3 or 4 times I've managed to put mine off the clock by a cm or so. (180 mph on my test track)

Only bother is the gearing I've got gives me a 20% error all over the rev range on the speedo. (REALLY must get that sorted) so that would give me a speed of what about 155+ the car was still pulling like a basterward, but my bottle ran out.

Might try to see exactly how quick she'll go soon. Will need to post evidence though obviously. ;)

Regards

These experiences would suggest that my speedo probably isn't over reading by 25 mph when it shows 175.

It's more likely over-reading by about 6-7 mph.

So my question is, how come the rev limiter is cutting in so late when the car is supposed to be restricted to 155?

Originally posted by Zed

I've had an indicated 175 when the limiter cut in, but i'm sure this was not the actual speed. I beleive the supra is quite bad for over-reading at high speed.

Assuming the limiter cut in at an actual 155 then it was overreading by 25 mph which sounds like a very high margin of error indeed!!

Zed,

The difference between 175 and 155 is 20, not 25

20mph isn't very much more than 10%

I'd be pretty sure that you're hitting the 155mph limiter.

Before I had my speedo calibrated my speedo was also out by more than 10%. In previous threads alot of folks have commented on how inaccurate the Supra speedo is.

Originally posted by Timwildman

On the vvti twin turbos, the second cam profile is used to fill the gap between turbos, this just makes the second turbo comming on-line less noticable, but you still get the feel of extra pulling power, just no real kick. An even smoother torque curve.

Err..... what second cam profile?

The VVT- i (Variable Valve Timing (with) intelligence) system continuously varies intake valve timing throughout the rev range by hydraulically rotating the camshaft relative to its drive gear, the (single) profile remains the same.

The later VVTL-i (as fitted to late Celicas) has a dual profile cam

HTH

I just assume it was twin cam as like the new vv type cars you accelarate then around 4500-5000 it kicks in?

I've got a pre-faclift N/A and mine feels exactly the same, just before 5000rpm you can feel something kicking in. I gave my mate a go the other day and he said exactly the same thing.

Originally posted by geoffvalenti

The VVT- i (Variable Valve Timing (with) intelligence) system continuously varies intake valve timing throughout the rev range by hydraulically rotating the camshaft relative to its drive gear, the (single) profile remains the same.

Well never knew that :innocent: looked it up, found a usfull little write up: taken from here

The following information on Toyota's Variable Valve Timing and Lift (with intelligence) system is derived in large from the October issues of Sport Compact Car and Car and Driver. As always, I encourage you to obtain a copy for yourself.

The VVT-i portion of the system continuously varies intake valve timing throughout the rev range by hydraulically rotating the camshaft relative to its drive gear. Note that VVT (without the "i") did not do this continuously. The VVL portion of the system is similar to Honda's VTEC system, incorporating two distinct cam profiles. However, the actual mechanism is quite different. Both cam lobes operate a single wide rocker arm that acts on both intake or both exhaust valves. A needle-bearing roller on the arm follows the low-rpm, short-duration, low-lift lobe, forcing both valves to open and close on that profile. The roller design and roller bearings on the rocker arm pivot help to minimize valvetrain friction. The high-rpm, higher-duration, longer-lift lobe rubs on a hardened steel slipper follower mounted to the rocker arm with a spring. Even though the high-rpm lobe is pushing down further than the low-rpm lobe, the spring absorbs the extra movement. At 6000rpm, the ECU sends a signal to an oil control valve at the end of the camshaft that puts oil pressure behind a lock pin in the rocker arm, sliding the pin under the spring-loaded slipper follower, locking it to the rocker arm and forcing the arm to follow the high-rpm cam profile.

Had mine right off the clock many times, stnadard and modified. If there were markings it would have read around 190mph. The VVT-i is a lot smoother than the 93 Auto TT I had and the engine/exhaust sounds different when the second turbo comes in, takes on a nice tone.