The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jun Supra vs Veyron

michael

Guest dee_rz
ONLY in the UK is the 200 mph barrier deemed impossible.

Crap like "massive frontal area", "poor aerodynamics" , "front end lift" etc are spoken by those who would dung themselves to even hit the std 155 limiter. If a std version, delimited, in the USA in 1993 can hit 181mph in a road test (it's in a book I have somewhere) the extra 19mph when BHP is almost tripled isnt that hard.

I have been well wound out in 6th, and i can tell you those Mecs stuttering at 155mph in the other lane of the autobahn are almost a blurr when the Supra is at those revs (18" and UK diff) in 6th.

I like my top end runs :) and Supra's do it so well!

agreed and also i believe it is 187mph that the stock usa car hit :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dee, I have a great idea, how about, at the ring trip this summer we spend the Sat night (quietest night on the Autobahn) doing top end runs. Some genius on here can tell us how to measure the cars "exact" speed (please folks, dont even mention GPS on the dash, it so slow in europe anyway it's in a time warp), in a way that is practical and will satisfy the skeptics on here.

Perhaps we can have a "in forum" bookie so people can put their money where there keyboards are lol.

It's years since I used one but back then it was a huge box with a GPS aerial that you mounted on the roof. It needed a laptop to start the recording and to read the data.

It looks as though things have moved on quite a bit since then:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=VBOX

The standalone VBox Mini should do everything you need in one unit but I don't know if they hire them out like they used to with the big system.

agreed and also i believe it is 187mph that the stock usa car hit :)

It wasn't stock. It had HKSGT25/30 sequentials for a start, hks cat back, hks fmic, and a few other 'signal fudgers' as TerryS would put it. The full spec was in a'big sequential' thread- search GT25/30 or 'Mario Andretti and you should find it.

It wasn't stock. It had HKSGT25/30 sequentials for a start, hks cat back, hks fmic, and a few other 'signal fudgers' as TerryS would put it. The full spec was in a'big sequential' thread- search GT25/30 or 'Mario Andretti and you should find it.

Never heard of this car, nothing to do with my post.

Guest dee_rz
Dee, I have a great idea, how about, at the ring trip this summer we spend the Sat night (quietest night on the Autobahn) doing top end runs. Some genius on here can tell us how to measure the cars "exact" speed (please folks, dont even mention GPS on the dash, it so slow in europe anyway it's in a time warp), in a way that is practical and will satisfy the skeptics on here.

Perhaps we can have a "in forum" bookie so people can put their money where there keyboards are lol.

If i do go i'll be up for that, i'll look into hiring something and i'll ask around for something that may be upto the job :cool:

That HKS car, which they quote at 380bhp @ the rear wheels stopped at 6200rpm. Bit strange that. I cant tell if the car was F-Con equiped, but if it wasn't and had a HKS SLD then 179 to 183 is as far as it goes and then stops, as i found out.

183.6mph @ 6200RPM. The car was a manual with 6sp. Do the sums and 6800RPM is 201.36mph. Been there and beyond, and it was fun. Dimitri has had well over 8000rpm on his 19" 315 tyre car in 6th!. For the record you dont need 2 bar to do 200MPH.

That HKS car, which they quote at 380bhp @ the rear wheels stopped at 6200rpm. Bit strange that. I cant tell if the car was F-Con equiped, but if it wasn't and had a HKS SLD then 179 to 183 is as far as it goes and then stops, as i found out.

183.6mph @ 6200RPM. The car was a manual with 6sp. Do the sums and 6800RPM is 201.36mph. Been there and beyond, and it was fun. Dimitri has had well over 8000rpm on his 19" 315 tyre car in 6th!. For the record you dont need 2 bar to do 200MPH.

Peak power was at 6200rpm- how can you accelerate faster than peak power allows? At 6300 it's making less power- bhp is rate of work, if the rate of work goes down, speed also goes down, or in this case, goes no further.

What's wrong with measuring using GPS? Not being funny, genuinely curious.

I have a fun memory of Faye (who was driving at the time) yelling at the Supra in front of us to shift out of our way because he'd just hit the limiter :D

Peak power was at 6200rpm- how can you accelerate faster than peak power allows? At 6300 it's making less power- bhp is rate of work, if the rate of work goes down, speed also goes down, or in this case, goes no further.

Strangley enough, I have found plenty of cars that can go past peak power on top. My silver one for a start. Most I have found will go by it by a few hundred rpm, where power might be weakening, but it's not a diesel, the roll off is not that fast i.e. 500bhp @ 6200 and 460 @ 6400 etc.

Most people running a big single go to 264 cams, peak power point varies according to how it's timed in but 6800 to 7000 is typical.

The aero dynamic barrier with a Supra is very hard to find, I personally dont know of an aquaintance who has been there, however i expect some of the tuners have. e.g. Jun @252mph? on Salt flats?