The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GPS ! Some Guidence Please

M4RK RZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I just read all your thoughts....... but I bought one before you all replied lol :blink:

I think that its a good one tho from what I can tell - got it for 175 quid new off ebay. Its a NAVMAN N20 - I used the navman on line demo and had a good go its seems quite cool - the best thing is that it has two 'girly' buttons to find the nearest petrol station and car parking so its ideal for Leanne :)

Here is the link to the demo - you should try it out - it is realy good to try ! I liked the software and the map layout. Ill be getting the T1 FREE traffic information for life on it - diverts you round :) + cameras already loaded on (you can update everythin too)

I did not realise that the new sat nav's have a digital camera built in. You get to your destination - take a pic and it stores it so next time you just toutch the thumb nail picture ! - perfect for the ladys lol

not a bad buy for 175 i recon

http://www.navman-hosting.com/Nseriesdemo/selectindex.php?language=EN&productid=0

I'm not sure you'll be able to do much with it Jake, as far as I can tell Garmin just make the hardware and the interface to sit in front of the MapSource data, I can't recall ever seeing a standalone version to install yourself. A shame because the map on my C310 doesn't include some recent changes to the A1 and it would be nice to download an update to fix this.

I did not realise that the new sat nav's have a digital camera built in. You get to your destination - take a pic and it stores it so next time you just toutch the thumb nail picture ! - perfect for the ladys lol

Thats a pretty good feature...

Here is the link to the demo - you should try it out - it is realy good to try ! I liked the software and the map layout. Ill be getting the T1 FREE traffic information for life on it - diverts you round :) + cameras already loaded on (you can update everythin too)

How does if get Traffic information while you are driving? Is it done via GPRS or something in which case do you pay for the data transfer?

via FM radio.

How does that work?

Does Garmin have a specific freq that they tune into, or is it a freq used by others too, if so would be interesting to see what protocols they use.

what about UK / European FM coverage...

Keen to understand how this works...

Jake

I suppose you don't happen to have a version of TomTom 6 that runs on Win Mobile 5 (phone edition) ;)

I don't have WM5 on my PocketPC but I believe TomTom version 6 runs on PPC and phones. I presume WM5 is backwardly compatible with WM2003 so it will work, right? Happy to send you a CD mate, just PM me your address.

In fairness the Garmin and TomTom are fairly similar I suppose, it's a personal preference thing perhaps.

Likewise, had both and in my case prefer the TT, just an apples and oranges thing at the end of the day :)

As for the roundabout thing, never had an issue with that TT5 was slow on the roundabouts but not crazy slow, defo speeded it up for TT6 though.

To anyone using pirated TomTom6 on PocketPC (XDA, iPAQ etc),

Could you tell me what version numbers have you got for the TomTom application and the maps?

I've got App version 6.000 (7370) and map:

United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland (v660.1199)

Just want to make sure I'm up to date

cheers