The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS SSQV Relocation

Paul Laing

Originally posted by veilsideTT

I know it sounds funny but autos do stall with a "dump to atmosphere" BOV

It happens in first gear for me.

If i pull off quickly, make a bit of boost, then brake to a standstill the gearbox doesnt disengage from the gear quick enough causing the revs to drop low anyway. At the same time my bov has dumped some air out and my mixture is all screwed up causing the engine to stall.

It never happend to me untill i put on my SSQV honestly!

Someone back me up please!!!

I feel a hammering comming on!!! :( :(

Consider yourself backed up. The problem is there on both auto and manual cars, after all it's the engine not the transmission we are talking about here. However, it's more apparent on the auto because the engine has more work to do when idling so it's a darn sight easier to stall when it's fuelling is all wrong.

When an engine runs way too rich it has trouble catching a fall in rpm to idle speed, the revs dip to 400rpm or less and the car struggles to recover. A manual engine is only spinning the flywheel and input shaft on the 'box at this point, an auto is working the engine by slushing it's slushy stuff around so it stands much less of a chance of recovering from

-Ian

my jap auto has stalled a couple of times one time i was putting foot down then braked hard to stop at a junction. the othertime was in drive through at macdonalds just waiting in que. not done in ages, since found out my blitz bov was leaking and making a whistle sound. CW said put the stock bov back on. was supprised the stock bov seem to make a sound. dont fancy spending £300+ on a new bov for it to break fook up.

what would a twin stock bov mod be like. would it beable to handle more boost with a single to be fitted at later date. the bov noise is of no use on an auto, sooner hear a mad external wastegate venting to atmosphere :)

read the hks ssqv supposed to be good for up to 500hp and the hks racing bov good for up to 800hp

how far could a stock bov be ok for?

I was led to believe that the SSQV being a "pull type" BOV rather than a push type, and so could handle any amount of horsey's as increasing boost simply made it hold shut harder, unless it gets to a point where it would literally "break" under the pressure.

:conf:

Originally posted by TLicense

I was led to believe that the SSQV being a "pull type" BOV rather than a push type, and so could handle any amount of horsey's as increasing boost simply made it hold shut harder, unless it gets to a point where it would literally "break" under the pressure.

:conf:

seen a few places saying its good for up to 500.

they do sound loud, but get on your tits when people change gear loads of time to get you to notice them

• 2 months later...

Hi i have a Toyota supra 1993 TT i have installed HKS SSBOV. next to the Battery i was wondering were i can get the vacuum feed from please could you send me a picture or something that will show me were i can get this from, also what does the screw do on the BOV

Thanks

Imran

Vacuum feed would come off the MAP sensor and fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose, or you can reuse the line that feeds the stock BOV.

The screw changes the pressure the BOV opens at, if it's set too loose the BOV will vent all your boost pressure at a certain threshold (i.e you hit 1bar of boost and the blighter opens and you lose all your power :) ). Too tight and the turbo's will stall on releasing the throttle as the BOV won't open.

-Ian

Originally posted by Peter Sharp

Would this kill ALL power and you would have to restart your engine from new ?

Not sure what you mean, but turbo stall isn't like engine stall. The already-compressed air gets trapped between the now-closed throttle plate and the still-spinning turbo. The only way it can go is back through the turbo and this harshly slows the turbo down (accompanied by a nasty chachachachacha noise), and that's yer turbo stall. You lose all boost every time you close the throttle so it affects overall performance as well as turbo lifespan.

The bov vents this compressed air once it gets a vacuum reference from the other side of the throttle body, so the turbo doesn't get stalled and stays spinning rapidly.

If, however, you meant to quote the bit where I said the BOV loses you power if it's set too loose, then no, it's not *all* you power but it's like a huge boost leak of the blown off intercooler hose magnitude.

-Ian

Well, you undo the nut, turn the bolt, and do the nut back up again to lock the bolt in place. Screw the bolt inwards to tighten the BOV up and outwards to loosen it.

If your BOV is too 'loose' it will open under boost and vent all your boost pressure. If it's too 'tight' it won't open under moderate boost on lifting the throttle and the turbos will stall. There is a huge gap between these two extremes so setting it is easy really. Do the bolt up until there is about 6mm between it and the nut.

-Ian