The mkiv Supra Owners Club

raceligic traction control opinions please

Guest Shaun Hayward

Originally posted by secondjump

I understand your point Jake. Gone through winter with just right foot control, and you curtainly begin to respect and understand the cars limitations. :)

I don't think the Supe has has 'limitations' as such. I doubt that many other 2WD road cars could corner faster than a properly driven Supra but you can't beat physics.

Cold, wet roads and 300+bhp RWD cars . . .

Originally posted by HISUPE

neil a bit :( :(

Chin up mate, could be worse. You've got your Skyline now, nobody got hurt in your prang and you didn't get nicked for anything. You'll be fine once you've settled with the Ins Co, like I said earlier - just hang in there and it'll turn out fine. :thumbs:

I'm also a firm believer that you don't need TC systems to drive fast. Guys who jump into high powered cars and drive them like they stole them are bound to spin.

If you become to rely on any TC system you tend to drive faster and faster until you find the limit of the TC system itself. And at those speeds it can become much more serious than driving at a speed where you don't have any TC.

I think the best way to is to learn the cars limits and be comfortable with that and then decide if you still need a TC system if you find it hard to control the power.

I enjoy the challenge of driving to the limit of grip, and quite often driving over the grip limit being as sideways as possible !! Its a big part of what driving a high powered RWD car is all about. But everyone is different and have their Supras for different reasons, at the end of the day it will come down to the way you drive. Lots of people highly rate RLTC and it has saved them on numerous occasions but I drive fast without it and I prefer not having any TC working at all.

Originally posted by Jake

Chin up mate, could be worse. You've got your Skyline now, nobody got hurt in your prang and you didn't get nicked for anything. You'll be fine once you've settled with the Ins Co, like I said earlier - just hang in there and it'll turn out fine. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Originally posted by Jake

I don't think the Supe has has 'limitations' as such. I doubt that many other 2WD road cars could corner faster than a properly driven Supra but you can't beat physics.

Cold, wet roads and 300+bhp RWD cars . . .

Maybe I should have typed 'my limitations' rather than the cars- but i think its human nature to push limitations whether it means introducing technology and or improving driving skills. As long as the end result is a more enjoyable driving experience many people will develope their cars beyond what toyota gave us.

In my opinion, one of the biggest bonuses with RLTC is the ability to pull out of corners and onto roundabouts when it's wet, without wondering if you're about to go sideways, or sit there spinning the wheels whilst a juggernaught comes ploughing towards you... I'm sure this has happend to most people as some point or another.

The good thing with RLTC is that you can limit the amount of restriction it offers. There are 4 settings you can easily select, and of course 'off' altogether. So you can have fun when you want to, and you can use it to your advantage when you need to as well.

Personally, I love it and wouldn't be without it. I'm not saying that you can't drive without it, but it's a preference thing.

And besides if it's good enough for proffessional drivers to aid them getting around corners faster, it's good enough for me! :D

As already stated, It's a driver aid, not a crash preventative. :innocent:

Totally agree with Matt on this one. It's not going to save you if you lift off too much or brake in a corner, or go in too fast etc etc. Power oversteer probably only accounts for half of Supra spins I would think. In the wet it's superb though, you can overtake without fear. I drive my car every day to work, and you're not always on 100% maximum attack. It's a good safety net.