The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BHP NA with mods another one sorry

dibbleyuk

Best I ever got was 15.2 sec 1/4 and 150mph top speed, on full decat, HKS exhaust and filter.

I'd be very cautious of buying that Sup with NOS pre-fitted, it may have been thrashed to within an inch of it's life. I'd be doing alot of research first, but then I'm a miserable ld git who's really cynical.

• 3 weeks later...

Mines in with Martin at the mkIV store at the moment for cams, AEM ECU, Exhaust header and Plenum intake manifold. Already got exhaust and first de cat + induction kit.

With the mapable ecu im hoping for 260BHP (Depending on what BHP the car was putting out originally) But if pushed it could prob run 270BHP but then maintanance becomes an issue.

Mines in with Martin at the mkIV store at the moment for cams, AEM ECU, Exhaust header and Plenum intake manifold.

er how much is this costing!

Whatever it is thats loads of money that could be put towards a TT............

....its only my opinion but i see absolutely no point in pushing serious money into tuning an NA, even NA-T is borderline vfm.......

er how much is this costing!

Whatever it is thats loads of money that could be put towards a TT............

....its only my opinion but i see absolutely no point in pushing serious money into tuning an NA, even NA-T is borderline vfm.......

I hate it when people say this! Put it towards a TT. No offence but if i wanted a TT I could get one but im really interested to see how much i can get out of the NA.

Seeing as 160 BHP per litre is commonplace amongst decent 4 valve per cylinder race engines nowadays it's entirely possible to get a 3 litre N/A to give perhaps 380 or so BHP, given it's long stroke. But it would have no usable power band for road usage, a very low operational hours limit before rebuilding, would need decent fuel, and would cost about 30K to build and develop. I join the band who say short of sticking a turbo(s) on an N/A with dropped CR, don't bother doing more than an decat, exhaust headers and decent exhaust system.

Seeing as 160 BHP per litre is commonplace amongst decent 4 valve per cylinder race engines nowadays it's entirely possible to get a 3 litre N/A to give perhaps 380 or so BHP, given it's long stroke. But it would have no usable power band for road usage, a very low operational hours limit before rebuilding, would need decent fuel, and would cost about 30K to build and develop. I join the band who say short of sticking a turbo(s) on an N/A with dropped CR, don't bother doing more than an decat, exhaust headers and decent exhaust system.

Thats a good point because the power and cost you are talking about makes it not worth doing.

I was simply trying to point out to NA owners that there is a company out there now that does do good modifications for the NA. Where as before 235-240 was good going for NA BHP now its possible to go that little bit further.

Thats a good point because the power and cost you are talking about makes it not worth doing.

I was simply trying to point out to NA owners that there is a company out there now that does do good modifications for the NA. Where as before 235-240 was good going for NA BHP now its possible to go that little bit further.

Good points on both sides, but I would tend to side with CW unless of course I win the lottery

I hate it when people say this! Put it towards a TT. No offence but if i wanted a TT I could get one but im really interested to see how much i can get out of the NA.

I agree, plus not everyone can afford to buy one, insure it, run it, tune it and replace a turbo if it goes!!! its really easy saying get a TT though isn't it......................

I agree, plus not everyone can afford to buy one, insure it, run it, tune it and replace a turbo if it goes!!! its really easy saying get a TT though isn't it......................

yes it is when this guy will spend hundreds/thousands? and get a car thats still less powerful than a stock TT, will be less reliable than it was, and none of that money spent is likely to be recouped on resale.

Use that money and a little more and get a stock TT and you have more power, great reliability and will retain more of the money invested.........if you choose the right TT you will lose minimal dep'n in the first year.........

its a no brainer to advise those with NA's that want to spend money on them to make them faster, to get a TT.

My only next mod is a 2nd decat, just worried out the noise levels though,

Its damn loud now with the Trail system,

so far i have

HKS Kit

with my own forced cold feed

Turbofit Intake pipe

Trail exhaust

Now i get 6 secs to 60 (Manual) and is plenty fast enough, for me best mod i've paid out for by far on the NA is the Intake pipe by Turbofit and the HKS kit (system came on the car)

My reason for owning a NA is its my everyday car, so fairly good on fuel 24 round town upto 36 on long runs and its quick, Cheap to maintain .. and reliable

2. New hardpipe 1.jpg

HEATSHEILD.jpg

yes it is when this guy will spend hundreds/thousands? and get a car thats still less powerful than a stock TT, will be less reliable than it was, and none of that money spent is likely to be recouped on resale.

Use that money and a little more and get a stock TT and you have more power, great reliability and will retain more of the money invested.........if you choose the right TT you will lose minimal dep'n in the first year.........

its a no brainer to advise those with NA's that want to spend money on them to make them faster, to get a TT.

I do see where u are coming from but what you have to appreciate is that i will be a totally different drive to the turbo. And for the price im spending i dont think id have got much of a twin turbo! Only a high miler that would prob need money spent on it anyway!!

I was only posting in this thread as a lot of NA owners dont know that if they want to there are ways of getting more power out of there cars. :tongue:

• 1 month later...

This is a corker aint it! Ive got a NA which I have got looking how I want it to. I obviously want more performance but dont want to sell what ive got now (like others have said I wouldnt get the money back on what ive spent). So for this reason, for me personally the conversion would be the best way to go. It all depends on what each person wants, needs or can afford at the time.

Now tell me (I only know what looks pretty)...whats an exhaust header do? Is it loud, is it expensive and where can I get one?

In all fairness everyone's making sense from both sides! Some people go TT others go N/A for one reason or another I know I went N/A because it's being used as my daily drive. I also appreciate the fact that when I go to sell her I won’t be getting what I've paid or for what I've added to her but I know it won’t be stopping me adding bits here and there!:p So if you want to see what can be achieved performance wise in an N/A even tho it may not be alot without spending a hell of a lot then good luck to you:thumbs: but if its power you want go TT.