The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can you identify this problem?

Guru

Having trouble starting my VW Polo 1.9 diesel in the mornings and I think its the starter motor. Everything lights up and she turns over but then I just hear whats on the audio clip. After a million tries she eventually starts but it's not good with winter coming. Any ideas?

The file is an MP3 inside the zip...

Recording.zip

For starters are you absolutely sure that your battery is in tip top condition ? A duff battery can give those symptoms.

Secondly it could be your heater plugs, pull them out and check, even if only one is biffed it can give those symptoms.

Or, if the above is ok then it looks like the Starter has seen better days.

Do you key off or is it stopping turning over itself??

It stops itself.

sounds like the teeth on the starter clutch are worn meaning new starter motor required. also the teeth on the flywheel will require checking.

Yeah I am thinking the drive but not sure. It only really struggles in the cold but is clearly a general problem.

For starters are you absolutely sure that your battery is in tip top condition ? A duff battery can give those symptoms.

Secondly it could be your heater plugs, pull them out and check, even if only one is biffed it can give those symptoms.

Battery is brand spanking new from Halfrauds last week. Will have a look at the plugs tonight. Never got them out so what am I looking for exactly?

Check the battery earth cables too. Engine earth and chassis earth.

Do a volt drop check, neg. terminal on battery to engine. Crank starter, should be no more than 0.5 volts.

Check the positive side too.

Do a search I'm sure checking the starter circuit has been covered before.

the glow plugs will not stop the starter from disengaging the way it is. you can hear the starter still spining but not engaging which relates to drive gear. as said before you also need to check the flywheel teeth. if they are worn then the new starter will not last that long.

No I'm not. The sudden increase in flywheel speed (caused by thr engine trying to start) will cause the starter pinion to be thrown out of engagement, this is normal and correct.

Eg. cylinder 1 glowplug good, fires ,engine speed increases

cylinder 3 glowplug good, fires, engine speed increases

starter pinion thrown out of flywheel

cylinder 4 glowplug no good, does not fire, engine dies

I have seen it loads of times, before dropping out the starter motor check the easy to get to things first.

If one of the glow plugs are a bitch to get to, leave it, just do the other three. If you find a faulty one replace it (I would do the lot, they all do the same amount of work) and try it again.

Doing volt drop checks on the starter circuit takes 5 minutes, checking glowplugs takes 5 minutes if you have an ampclamp, half an hour if you haven't.

If after checking for the above faults you haven't cured it then dropping out the starter is the next thing.

All I'm saying is, I would not start there.;)

i know what your trying to say fredm but with a 1 glowplug out the engine speed will not be affected a great deal while cranking. 2 glow plugs out and it will be sluggish to start if at all it starts. but the sounds i'm hearing is of the drive disengaging but the stater itself still spining. even with the engine running if you have the key onto the start position it will not throw the starter out as the motor is still trying to turn the flywheel and all you get is a very sick starter.:)

What have I started :D

(not my car before anyone says!)

I have done a search in Yell.com and found a auto-electrician in walking distance. Will let him have a look first as I might be able to get it out but not diagnose it. If he fails to find a problem then I will look at the plugs and engine earths.

Thanks for the advice guys its much appreciated. Unfortunatly there is no prize for the winner apart from the joy of being right and able to diagnose a problem over the internet ;)

After a million tries she eventually starts

This is also the case when a glowplug stops working.

The heat is only built up sufficiently when you've tried to start it many times.

I hope he doesn't charge for the starter and just fit a glowplug.

But when a glowplug isn't working you shouldn't hear any unusual sounds when trying to start the car.

Blimey Fred, where have you been?!

You're the AA chap in Leegomery aren't you?

And the winner is.....

Starter motor! Starts perfectly every time now and definitly a new one fitted don't worry. Teeth on the drive were buggered and the flywheel has marks on too but not massive. Might just turn the flywheel around though not replace.

All in all cost me £95 for the parts and labour so am happy. Thanks for all the advice.