The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Perfect wheel size/offset?

DannyW

Nope not yet, Can't see it being as bad as the 2 MR2 turbos i had before it though. Both had more power and were driven daily through the last 5 winters. I don't care what anyone say's, snow plus RWD turbo does NOT equal fun! :)

Boy are you in for a suprise... or fun which ever way you look at

Supes bite back ... trust me,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

255/35x18 is nearer the stock rolling radius.

This company is quite useful to check you radius and Speedo error % , this is critical as you could get caught out with Gatsos etc

http://www.alloyguide.co.uk/

But as we are all imports and have a chip any speedo error can be corrected in minutes,

Obviously if you go to big a raduis you will lose some accelaration

Boy are you in for a suprise... or fun which ever way you look at

Supes bite back ... trust me,

Only if you're driving too fast for the road conditions.

Have you ever driven a 270bhp MR2 turbo in the wet? My N/A auto supra is very tame in comparison.

No car is dangerous in any road condition if you know how to control your urge for speed. Trust me.

Only if you're driving too fast for the road conditions.

Have you ever driven a 270bhp MR2 turbo in the wet? My N/A auto supra is very tame in comparison.

No car is dangerous in any road condition if you know how to control your urge for speed. Trust me.

Nope but a few frriends have them and the pre Toyota Suspension set up makes the car quite dangerous,

MR2's have a real reputation as nightmares to drive with lots of tail out in the wet and not for the faint hearted driver .

My NA is a manual but has some mods , in the wet you can literally play with the back end on roundabouts without giving it a second thought,

i find its usually just best to roll into the bend / roundabout and gently put your foot down on exit to stop it going out

The wife has crap*ed herself a few times in my Supra in the wet as her RX8 has Dynamic stability control,

I think i will stick with 17's as i dont want to ruin the handling at all and i'm not going for a wild bodykit.

Suggestions on different 17" alloys then with a deep dish and maybe coloured centres?

18's are ok but nothing bigger really, 18's look just right

Some people will say a max on 19in

20's forget you will completely distroy the cars handling,

A few friends did it and ended up selling them and going back down to 18's

The original stock wheels were 16s 8JJ 225/50/16 and 9JJ 245/45/16 with rolling diameter 631mm & 627mm respectively

However, from Aug94 the optional stock wheels were 17s

8JJ 235/45/17 and 9.5JJ 255/40/17

making the rolling diameters 643mm & 636mm respectively.

Therefore best size for 18s are 235/40/18 = 645mm and 255/35/18 = 636mm

However the recommended deviation is 2.5% so the max oversize from the stock 17s is;

Front

245/45/17 = 652mm +1.4%

245/40/18 = 653mm +1.56%

245/35/19 = 654mm +1.71%

Rear

275/40/17 = 652mm +2.52%

275/35/18 = 650mm +2.2%

275/30/19 = 648mm +1.89%

tyresize

My NA is a manual but has some mods , in the wet you can literally play with the back end on roundabouts without giving it a second thought,

Exactly, you can control the arse-out moments in a supra, in an MR2 this virtually impossible as they just snap without warning, although saying this, ive never had a really scary moment in my MR2's (except on track) so i suppose i must just drive carefully or like a grandma.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm sticking with 17's any suggestions on specific rims?

The original stock wheels were 16s 8JJ 225/50/16 and 9JJ 245/45/16 with rolling diameter 631mm & 627mm respectively

However, from Aug94 the optional stock wheels were 17s

8JJ 235/45/17 and 9.5JJ 255/40/17

making the rolling diameters 643mm & 636mm respectively.

Therefore best size for 18s are 235/40/18 = 645mm and 255/35/18 = 636mm

However the recommended deviation is 2.5% so the max oversize from the stock 17s is;

Front

245/45/17 = 652mm +1.4%

245/40/18 = 653mm +1.56%

245/35/19 = 654mm +1.71%

Rear

275/40/17 = 652mm +2.52%

275/35/18 = 650mm +2.2%

275/30/19 = 648mm +1.89%

tyresize

GOOD INFO

Why excessive for a NA ?? would they be fine on a TT ??

Not being funny or anything but I just wondered why that mattered.

Wheels are usually for visual effect except if you need special combos for racing

I guess what he's trying to say is that its too much rubber for too little power.

I guess what he's trying to say is that its too much rubber for too little power.

Why is 225- 25O bhp and RWD too little power..

Aren't standard Jap TT 's only 280bhp .. but then we never really know as that the "Gentlemans agreement" in Japan .. everything has 280bhp..

Most stuff we bring over Imprezzas etc (the proper ones) we seen over 300bhp, we've not seen a std Jap TT over that figure though as they have smaller Turbos etc etc to the UK Spec

Funny that the UK spec is actually the better buy..

I don't think so. I had 18 month NA driving on Bridgestone’s and whooped the arse of TT owners cause they were to scared to use the power. The size of wheels and tyre is a personal choice, the make determines the handling.

Suppose i should mention, i will be going N/A-T at some point hopefully.

In my dreams...

This seems to be the way to go

TT's are getting in really short supply now in Japan with the Yanks paying upto $90.000 for them and Russia has pushed up all the Jap import prices as its now big news over there and the Russian Mafia apparantley are making loads of money out of imports all legit though,

NA's are still readily available inc Aerotops and more chioce of models

for 2-3k you can have a high power single Turbo Supra for less money than buying a standard TT

Not rocket science is it,

Supposedly the NA engine is a stronger unit anyway ... if theres truth in that i'm not sure.

Why is 225- 25O bhp and RWD too little power..

It's not too little... there's just no need for rediculous 315 wide tyres.

Most stuff we bring over Imprezzas etc (the proper ones) we seen over 300bhp, we've not seen a std Jap TT over that figure though as they have smaller Turbos etc etc to the UK Spec

Oh yes we have (and the j-spec turbos are bigger).

And who says the UK spec is the better buy? In stock form the jap specs are a much more responsive drive IMO. But then UK specs have advantages too.

and Russia has pushed up all the Jap import prices

not over here they haven't.

for 2-3k you can have a high power single Turbo Supra for less money than buying a standard TT

and the rest.

Supposedly the NA engine is a stronger unit anyway ... if theres truth in that i'm not sure.

It's not :)

I don't think so. I had 18 month NA driving on Bridgestone’s and whooped the arse of TT owners cause they were to scared to use the power. The size of wheels and tyre is a personal choice, the make determines the handling.

I used to "regularly" slaughter my boss in his Audi A6 Quattro TT

You just need to know how to drive an NA on the move they are no slouch keep it above the magic 5500rpm !!

Audi TT . what Pathetic car wouldn't waste the petrol just a really heavy golf at the end of the day

p.s slaughtered a few of them too ha ha ha

This is what makes me laugh why people think they are slow ???

Mine has been timed proffesionall 0-60 6 secs

now in the "real world" that aint slow , anything sub 7-8 secs in the real world on the road is quick

A std TT is what 4.9 - 5secs .

Decent exhaust and filters and the NA comes into a world of their own

The turbo's on a Jspec are actually bigger, but thats an aside...

As mentioned many times already, the best compromise between all round handling and grip is stock. Toyota spent many millions designing and setting up the Supra for this spec so we're not exactly likely to improve on it ;)

In nice dry, warm conditions maybe a wider wheel will give more grip, though even with a high powered BPU car it only spins under big camber changes - wider wheels do very little to improve this.

During wet/ cold conditions a narrower tyre with higher sidewall will provide improved traction, more pressure over narrower area. This is where a stock wheel/tyre size is best to have.

I atually had to put two spacesavers on the rear wheels during the snow two years ago to even get out my drive to go to work. They're narrow as can be but exert maximum pressure over a tiny area so cut through the snow and ice better than normal wheels. Still quite "fun" to drive though!

not over here they haven't.

My friend has just come back from Japan after going to see his Jap based buyer and after visiting a daily Auction (17000 cars and a bus to get fromone end of the Auction to the other)

The prices over there have gone through the roof

Just means the traders over here are now making less profit

So lets hope this doesn't effect the quality of cars

It is all done to Russia..

From the horses mouth .. from Japan