The mkiv Supra Owners Club

400bhp from a VVTi Tiptronic?

Guest Saxo Boy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this makes for excellent reading :) - I was always under the impression that I'd get a newer facelift vvti engine to modify, but from this it seems like the wrong thing to do - so i'll just buy a little older and have a mod-friendly car :D

VVTi are not harder mod than older Supras. And respond better to BPU than older Supras. This rumour started because when they first appeared no one new how to wire up an FCD on them as it wasn't the same as older models...

As mentioned Rob's made 400bhp with double decat and boost controller @ 1.2bar. That was significally more than same specc'd non VVTi's made the same day. Mine made 390 bhp with both CATS in @ 1.2 bar...

People who've driven both say the VVTi is more repsonsive and a better drive....

VVTi are not harder mod than older Supras. And respond better to BPU than older Supras. This rumour started because when they first appeared no one new how to wire up an FCD on them as it wasn't the same as older models...

As mentioned Rob's made 400bhp with double decat and boost controller @ 1.2bar. That was significally more than same specc'd non VVTi's made the same day. Mine made 390 bhp with both CATS in @ 1.2 bar...

People who've driven both say the VVTi is more repsonsive and a better drive....

so a vvti supra will be as easy/same price to get to the higher power levels, like 500bhp?

Just from reading, it seems the vvti's need ecu swaps/mods?

Guest Saxo Boy

So we've gone full circle and we are not back at: fit full decat with restrictor, use boost controller to limit boost to 1.2bar, use FCD to overcome fuel-cut and hey-presto circa 400bhp :D

That I could live with :)

Incidently would a 400bhp walk the likes of an e46 M3?

so a vvti supra will be as easy/same price to get to the higher power levels, like 500bhp?

Just from reading, it seems the vvti's need ecu swaps/mods?

LOL! Well what are you expecting to have to do to an older Supra to get it to a REAL 500bhp? Because realistically you need to go single for that...:eyebrows:

So we've gone full circle and we are not back at: fit full decat with restrictor, use boost controller to limit boost to 1.2bar, use FCD to overcome fuel-cut and hey-presto circa 400bhp :D

You don't need a boost controller. Removing the restriction of the cats causes J-spec's to overboost (1.4-1.5+ is not uncommon), the restrictor ring limits that back down to 1.2. UK spec's are different and require a boost controller to raise the boost. Other than that, some colder plugs.

VVTis dont need restrictor rings.....and Boost controllers up boost not limit it!! :)

So: FCD, Exhaust, Double decat, Boost controller and cheap NGK colder plugs and fuel pump.

They go very well on this spec and after this modding gets expensive for what you get back IMHO

You don't need a boost controller. Removing the restriction of the cats causes J-spec's to overboost (1.4-1.5+ is not uncommon), the restrictor ring limits that back down to 1.2. UK spec's are different and require a boost controller to raise the boost. Other than that, some colder plugs.

Not true with VVTis they are same as UK they dont overboost.. :)

Guest Saxo Boy

So for the power alone (with zero regard to monitoring).

We need cat 1 replaced; cat 2 replaced; cat-back exhaust system; FCD; boost controller (electronic I presume); plugs and fuel pump. Well, all that sounds quite reasonable :)

VVTis dont need restrictor rings...

Oh yes they bloody do! :rolleyes:

You don't need a boost controller.

Only reason to fit one is to raise boost (they cannot lower boost). You do not want to run boost over 1.2 on stock tubbies, the restricter ring sorts that.

If you're interested in longevity then I suggest a 1bar restricter ring for normal driving, then a boost controller to up to 1.2 when you want some fun.

I drive like miss daisy most of the time and don't approach 1.2 bar very often so I'm not worried about restricting to 1 bar.

So for the power alone (with zero regard to monitoring).

We need cat 1 replaced; cat 2 replaced; cat-back exhaust system; FCD; boost controller (electronic I presume); plugs and fuel pump. Well, all that sounds quite reasonable :)

A good boost controller will have a boost gauge built in so thats a good start for monitoring... :)

Guest Saxo Boy

Hmmm, the ring vs controller issue seems unresolved here :confused: 1 bar seems pretty lame when you are trying to secure some extra horsepower. Is it not .9 bar standard? For my purposes the car would largely be a weekend/evening toy that I'd take out for a 30 mile blat now and then so I'd probably want some return on my money in terms of the grin factor :)

Hmmm, the ring vs controller issue seems unresolved here :confused: 1 bar seems pretty lame when you are trying to secure some extra horsepower. Is it not .9 bar standard? For my purposes the car would largely be a weekend/evening toy that I'd take out for a 30 mile blat now and then so I'd probably want some return on my money in terms of the grin factor :)

I think you misunderstood. Some guys like to limit to 1 bar mechanically (the ring) to remain more like stock and keep reliable, but then use the electronics to override to 1.2 bar if they want some fun.

Pretty lame!! :rolleyes: Drive a 400bhp rear wheel drive car and come back and say that!! :D