The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Maximum HORSEPOWER from a NA SUPRA

boombastictiger

so if the standard NA engine was upgraded to say 300hp, and upped to 3.4l, would it be able to take on a turbo charger/supercharger on top of that?

Yes but you wouldn't do it like that because it doesn't make any sense.

Why go to all the bother of tuning your car as an NA to make decent BMEPs at high revs and then stick a turbo on it? The whole reason you tune an NA is to fill the cylinder better, and you get that for free with forced induction.

What you would more likely do is tune the car to hit high BMEP low down when off-boost and then use the turbo to fill in the upper part of the curve.

The tuning you'd do for getting high power on an NA probably wouldn't translate across to the turbo version anyway.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the whole idea of tuning an NA is very interesting though, especially if alot of power can be sourced from it, i mean the bmw m3 engine is a 6 cylinder and has 340bhp, with no forced induction...i know its a newer engine and everything with newer technology, but the supra block is a engineering marvel by itself taking in how much it can handle. I have driven turbo cars before, maby not a 800bhp one, but never the less...and i really hate the fact that as soon as u put your foot down you dont get an INSTAND boost of power....you either wait for a giant surge, or slip down a gear and keep in high revs...i guess a supercharger would sort that out..but 340bhp from a stock supra engine sounds much more impressive as its producing that as raw power with no aid from a turbo/supercharger....which leaves people thinking what if one was added after...

But in total, how much £££ would you guys say it would cost to take a supra up to lets say 320BHP WITH NO TURBO/SUPERCHARGER, money being no object? including labour charge and everything?

the whole idea of tuning an NA is very interesting though, especially if alot of power can be sourced from it, i mean the bmw m3 engine is a 6 cylinder and has 340bhp, with no forced induction...i know its a newer engine and everything with newer technology, but the supra block is a engineering marvel by itself taking in how much it can handle. I have driven turbo cars before, maby not a 800bhp one, but never the less...and i really hate the fact that as soon as u put your foot down you dont get an INSTAND boost of power....you either wait for a giant surge, or slip down a gear and keep in high revs...i guess a supercharger would sort that out..but 340bhp from a stock supra engine sounds much more impressive as its producing that as raw power with no aid from a turbo/supercharger....which leaves people thinking what if one was added after...

But in total, how much £££ would you guys say it would cost to take a supra up to lets say 320BHP WITH NO TURBO/SUPERCHARGER, money being no object? including labour charge and everything?

20 - 25 K done properly. Custom cams, pistons, massive head work, lightened internals, peoper mappable ecu, throttle bodies, custom plenum and filter, custom exhaust manifold and system, compression hike, mapping time, development time, blah blah.