The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is buying a Supra TT a good idea?

russraff

Originally posted by Russraff

*** PS: I have just noticed that you seem to have a Veilside car - OOps! :stupid: It's just my opinion ya know! I just like the supra the way it is ***

LOL no worries dude :p each to there own.

I would also look out for UK brakes - they are more sought after and increase the stopping power no end,you can do the conversion later if you like for about 700 quid.

Have you tried approaching an importer and getting one ordered to your spec ? Good importers will supply you with a J_spec with full service history and the jap grade sheet (v.important IMO) look for a grade 4 car or above,also its worth asking the place where you are buying from what auction grade the car was and if they have the sheet.

Do a search for "rltc" on this board IMO its the number one safety & performance mod and is highly regarded - Termy is the resident expert and his Dat files are second to non.

The 200SX (any model) is a little skittish in the wet. The earlier S13 version has rock hard suspension so while it's great in the dry - very chuckable indeed - it's waaaaay too hard for wet weather. The later S14/S14a versions were a little softer... but not a great deal 'safer'. I got used to just pootling about in the wet.

Having said that, are there any rear wheel drive cars that could be described as 'safe' in the wet?

Originally posted by 200SX Boy

Having said that, are there any rear wheel drive cars that could be described as 'safe' in the wet?

BMW's 50/50 weight distribution - and rear wheel drive,my mate throughs his 325 about like a maniac in the wet on full throttle - its very unforgiving

• 11 months later...

I bought my UK 1993 Twin Turbo in September and have discovered a few things.

1) The Supra is the worst car ever to drive in snow....even a little bit of snow or ice.

2) It's a bugger to drive in the wet too if you're not careful. Trying to put the foot down in the wet just spins the rear wheels and the back end dances about all over the place. I've lost the back end badly on a slow 90 degree turn and it wasn't even raining!

3) It's mega expensive to service, repair and run. £60 of fuel will last 300 miles if lucky. Toyota charge £50 per hour for a Supra.

4) My car is almost 12 y/o and has had numerous niggly little problems that when added up have cost me a shed load to sort. Circa £2K!

5) It's so bloody quick in the dry that it'll leave most other cars standing including Scoobys and other "fast" cars. No beating 3 litres or torque!

6) The 2nd turbo comes in around 4,000rpm by which time you're well above legal speed limits and risking your licence. Seems quite unnecessary to me for a road car.

7) It doesn't handle very well as all the weight is over the front axle. So no chucking it about like a 4wd car.

But having said all of that, it's easily the best and most fun car I've ever driven! I wouldn't swap it for much else on the roads today. It's got looks that turn heads everywhere you go, power in abundance, build quality to die for (12 years old and still got the original turbos and exhaust etc!) and you'll be thrown back in your seat like no other car could do, except maybe a skyline or other exotic cars.

Buy one!..........But make sure it's a good one otherwise your hand will never be out of your pocket.

Toyota charge £50 per hour for a Supra.

Don't get it serviced by Toyota. Few on here do!

4) My car is almost 12 y/o and has had numerous niggly little problems that when added up have cost me a shed load to sort. Circa £2K!

build quality to die for

Bit of a contradiction there! :)

6) The 2nd turbo comes in around 4,000rpm by which time you're well above legal speed limits and risking your licence. Seems quite unnecessary to me for a road car.

So why did you buy it? :confused:

Well, that's what I thought when I got the GT4: It's a Jap car and a Toyota no less so it'll be indestructable.

Nope.

Termostat went, which can be expected after 65K. But the front suspension is also knacked, necessitating a £400 repair. Apparently all GT4's have this problem. How many other problems are there?

Of course, you are quite correct, a Supra will be so much faster, higher spec more bearable and looks 400% better than a Type R, but will a Supra last another 5 year, or will a "knacked suspension" scupper the party?

Russell

The money it would cost to replace the suspension in the Supra would be a lot less than the depreciation of the Type R.