The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fog Light Conversion.... again... sorry!

Mike

So Mike,

How did you do?

Mike

mate I am so ill.... haven't been able to get to it... how good is this.. three days off.. loads of things to do on the car and in the flat and I start sneezing on Friday night.. Saturday morning I'm buying cold & flu capsules and carrying a box of tissues around with me.. it sucks! :(

I managed to wash her on the way to the shops on Saturday... and that's the only constructive thing I've done all weekend...

I'll no doubt be completely over it by tomorrow for work....:rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate I am so ill.... haven't been able to get to it... how good is this.. three days off.. loads of things to do on the car and in the flat and I start sneezing on Friday night.. Saturday morning I'm buying cold & flu capsules and carrying a box of tissues around with me.. it sucks! :(

I managed to wash her on the way to the shops on Saturday... and that's the only constructive thing I've done all weekend...

I'll no doubt be completely over it by tomorrow for work....:rolleyes:

Typical, huh?

As far as the lights not working as brake lights goes...

I agree with Mike, it sounds like you have your wires crossed :)

When you get a chance, can you list the wires you have connected and to which pins on the 2 relays.

I think this will be easiest way to resolve this without actually seeing it. It's such a pain huh?

It'll be worth it though.

Russell.

Another update (hopefully the final one!) : It works! :)

I must have been through the whole circuit tightening and checking the connections about four times... problem seemed to be just with the passenger side... had it working twice, put it back together and stopped working...

I ran out of blade connectors.. walked to Halfords (as tools all over the back of the car) and came back with male blades and female bullet connectors! arrgghh!

So all in all been stood in the road for about four hours chasing it through... but then thankfully it all came together... it took me about half an hour to cover it all up... tape the connection, check it... tape the wires up out of the way, check it... put cover on, check it.. screw it in, check it.. carpet back down and the plastic cover... check it... I got to the cover part twice and it stopped working completely... but anyway, yes all working now...

I actually went for a drive to the shops just to make sure it stays together - the amount of clamping and taping that thing will never come apart!

So yeah, my advice would be you a fair amount of patience to do this... ;)

Thanks again for the help guys! :cool:

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

sorry to hijack the thread. Am going to attempt this on tues eve, hopefully just in time for my M.O.T. on thurs! (cross fingers)

Wondering if I could get some advice off you guys...

Can I ask where you guys connected the wires for the fog switch? Just wondering where a good point to get the 12v would be? (bought an illuminated switch which I believe just needs a power in and then a second wire leading to the relays?)

Dont suppose you guys know how to get the aerotop clips off the back of the boot?

Was there ever a conclusion into whether tapping into the rear lights would affect remote start at all?

Thanks in advance. This thread has been great for preparation, really helpful in spotting what to look out for!! :)

Hi guys,

sorry to hijack the thread. Am going to attempt this on tues eve, hopefully just in time for my M.O.T. on thurs! (cross fingers)

Wondering if I could get some advice off you guys...

Can I ask where you guys connected the wires for the fog switch? Just wondering where a good point to get the 12v would be? (bought an illuminated switch which I believe just needs a power in and then a second wire leading to the relays?)

Dont suppose you guys know how to get the aerotop clips off the back of the boot?

Was there ever a conclusion into whether tapping into the rear lights would affect remote start at all?

Thanks in advance. This thread has been great for preparation, really helpful in spotting what to look out for!! :)

might I also draw your attention to the follow up thread here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=80479&highlight=fog+light+beginners

Unfortunately I didn't tap the 12V myself - I was replacing a dodgy caravan fog light conversion, I suspect any switched 12V supply would be fine, I'm unsure as to your other questions either :(

Mike

Guest CoolsBlue
ahuh! that was my original plan...awesome. take it its pretty easy to identify which wire to connect to the switch?

theres a few surrounded in a black coating, cut it away, irrc its a blue wireor green,:) its easy to see where its going to anyways

Just wanted to say thanks to Coolsblue and Pixelfill on this. One million connections later and the fog light mod is complete...hooray!

The step by step guide/diagrams/pics are brilliant.

Just one piece of advice, would recommend getting the small fiddly relay wires out of the way first before making a start on the lights.

Thanks again guys. :)