The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fog Light Conversion.... again... sorry!

Mike

Right, so 'that horrible caravan light' has to go!

OK, I've done the searches and read the threads and have seen the words 'cut' and 'solder' and now I'm a bit daunted by the task... basically I don't want to screw anything up!

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the Portsmouth/Southampton area that would do this for me..? do I need a UK cluster? will I lose a couple of brake lights?

Thanks for your help! :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i know buddy, if you bugger it up its very easy to rectify (just more cutting and soldering). You can do this mod to your existing cluster and you only lose one brake light when the fog is on, normal operation is resumed when the fog is not enabled

hth :)

As far as i know buddy, if you bugger it up its very easy to rectify (just more cutting and soldering). You can do this mod to your existing cluster and you only lose one brake light when the fog is on, normal operation is resumed when the fog is not enabled

hth :)

using one of the brake lights sounds like a plan if I still get the cool four light effect when it's not on....:)

I do think I need a someone with a bit of electrical savy (i.e. not me) to sort it though... :blink:

using one of the brake lights sounds like a plan if I still get the cool four light effect when it's not on....:)

I do think I need a someone with a bit of electrical savy (i.e. not me) to sort it though... :blink:

My thoughts too, i like the 2 x 2 burners at the back :)

you should have a go yourself buddy, im going to do mine once i have done my clear lense conversion and i have absolutely no idea about electrics!

Mike, seriously this isn't too difiicult, it was the first thing I did to the car when I had only just got it :scare:

If you don't fancy soldering I did it with crimp blade connectors. The one thing I will say is to make sure you cut the wires after they have gone through the bulkhead and split in two, otherwise you'll end up with four foggs and no brakes.

The only other concern is the brake bulb fail light, if you don't take care of that (one of two ways) it would technically be an MOT failure.

if you want any pictures just let me know and I'll take some of mine. (Pete Betts Fog conversion, search for Fog light improved wiring)

Mike

I've done the Pete Betts Fog light conversion also, it was very easy, I think the hardest bit was running the wire from the switch at the front, but to be fair, I didn't even do that bit. :)

And besides, you should already have that in.

I put the relays and wiring together out of the car and left the ends long then took off one of the bolts over by the ariel and bolted the relay on there. Then run the wires over to the light clusters and did a bit of soldering and it all just worked.

Go on, give it a go, you'll be fine.:bang:

I have just don ethe mod to mine, and once you fully get what's going on - it's fine. If you want any help/advice/emergency "I've fooked it, what do I do!?!" phone calls just PM me and I'l send you my number to guide you through it :)

I would take photos but I've just insulation taped everytig back up, sorry! :)

The one key thing that isn't clear from reading the instructions a million times is;

(once you've taken off the trim at the back you'll reveal...)

In the bulkhead at the back of the car there will be a rubber grommet thing on each side. it's pretty clear that these service each light cluster.

Mine were covered in insulation tape - carefully CUT THIS BACK to reveal where two green wires become one green wire, and where two green wires with white stripes become 1 green wire with a white stripe.

This is what was mentioned above - if you chop at the wires where they have already joined, you end up with 4 fogs and (...when the fogs are on...) no brake lights, lol.

Once you've chopped & separated the wires, work out which of the two green wires it is you need to connect to the relays by turning your side lights on and then connecting either of the 2 greens back to the green wire you've snipped them from - one will be the inner light, one will be the outer. I'm telling you to do this as I'm assuming that you'd rather select either both inners or both outers, not one of each ;)

Update : OK, got all the bits apart from the resistors.. which they've ordered for me.. he couldn't even give me an alternative... so they're in on Tuesday..

I'm too lazy to shop around for a quids worth of resistors :blush:

So I can put it together and just add them in when I get them... :)

damn, i'd have known sooner - i'd have bought all my stuff down with me, and given you a hand, as i'm in salisbury this weekend - so you aint exactly far away..

doh

dam! could have got a blue dash too!

Nevermind mate, nice of you to offer...

Daman - I'll try and do a step by step guide with pics... hope it bloody works through!

Update : OK done it.... all went surprising well.. I think..

The brake lights all work fine, and the bulb failure light seems to be suppressed by the resistors (had a loose connection initially, but taped them up and now fine)... and the little LED on the fog switch comes on when I switch the fogs on, so that circuit must be fine... the only thing is the sun is shining and I can't tell whether the fogs are actually working or not....! :(

Charlotte came out to have a look and she can't tell either.. suppose I'll have to wait till it gets dark a bit and test them again... have a feeling it's all working apart from the bloody fogs.. should they be noticeable brighter than the normal brake lights..? or have I missed something obvious like 'go and get some more powerful bulbs'..? :blink:

Guest huwt4ng

sorry to sidetrack slightly, but whilst on the topic of lights, the headlights on a supra do weigh a fair bit....any plastic aftermarkets availible at all?

sorry to sidetrack slightly, but whilst on the topic of lights, the headlights on a supra do weigh a fair bit....any plastic aftermarkets availible at all?

plenty of plastic ones for sale mate, I'm quite sure there would be someone happy to take your heavy Glass headlights off you ;)

Seriously though the Japanese Spec cars all come with plastic headlights, which are still reasonably heavy, the biggest problem however is that the earlier ones are suffering from sunlight. They go cloudy.

If you are seriously after some replacement plastic headlights then go for some facelift (after 1996) headlights Nic (Import Pimp in the traders section) can get you some good prices

Mike