Supra,RX7,GTO or Mustang GT to buy?

Guest khyberpass

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Supra all the way. I looked at alot of cars before I bought my soop, including three of the ones you've listed, (not the Mustang), an the Supra has the looks, reliability, road presence, and power (in TT guise), that the other cars can't compete with. Buy a Supra, you know it makes sense. :)

Perhaps but dont forget the 300zx was designed in the 80's and was far ahead then. It can still compete with most modern sports cars made today.

I drive a supra and 300zx daily and love them both and thats all im gonna say.

My zed is running over 400bhp and is pretty quick so maybe I have forgotten what they are like standard. But they are 300bhp standard out of the factory in 1989 and that was alot then.

Perhaps but dont forget the 300zx was designed in the 80's and was far ahead then. It can still compete with most modern sports cars made today.

Deffo, it was a v good car when it was released, and I still like the looks of them, some of the ones at JAE looked fantastic :cool:

Mitsubishi GTO!!!!! I have never driven one but I understand that they are one of the worst cars around.

EVO mag described it as one of the 10 worst cars and I was reading performance car from 1993 doing a review of the then newly released Supra describing how its main challenger was the GTO and how it battered it in every department!!!

I'd have a nissan 300 zx over the mustang and GTO but if it had to be auto a soop and Ilove RX7's never heard of an auto but I've been put off by engine rebuild stories!!

Guest khyberpass

s2000 was "pretty" !!? (wife words) but it isn't an auto...

and the RX7 does come in TT auto format. test drove one !

the review below suggests that it is a pretty close call between Supra/ZX with RX potentially much closer but for reliability... (YES, it is American stats)

http://www.geocities.com/ma71supraturbo/articles/mk4/9_93cdsupra.html

In terms of ZX control...could always put a traction/launch pack on it?

If I could find a good value Supra, I would probably take it BUT too many hammered ones floating around because theybecame so popular AND it comes in £2500 more than a similar year ZX. £2500K puts a whole lots of mods on a car....

If I could find a good value Supra, I would probably take it BUT too many hammered ones floating around because theybecame so popular AND it comes in £2500 more than a similar year ZX. £2500K puts a whole lots of mods on a car....

Fair play its your mula fella, but..... GET THE REX :D

Take it from someone who loves the RX7 - me!

An auto RX7 you are getting between 12-14mpg average, if you are careful, you can get nearly double that from the supra....

As you will probably be aware, the engine rebuilds on this are circa £2500, although the engine has fewer moving parts, the form of the 13B engine means you have to maintain it so much more! (how much time do you have, if you are busy, you could neglect checking the car) Supras you check the oil weekly, RX7 daily. Although you DO NOT put synthetic oil in a 13B engine, as the oil conditioners react badly to the carbon apex seals of the engine, hardening them and making them prone to failure.

The 7 is a beautiful car, make no mistake, it handles like a missile and goes like one too. I consider it to be a light sprinter, not a GT car, like the others.

7's are a bastard round town, hate low rev driving, grumble when they are driven round town - I have never driven a car with such idosynchrasies.

I trust you have done your homework, if you are going for a 7, make sure that you are getting at least 7 on the compression test, and make sure that the front and back rotor are no more than 5-10% different, they should be the same.

If you wife wants a lovely looking car, which is well mannered and a bit of a tart when she wants it to be get the SUPRA!!!!

GTO's like someone else said are expensive to repair and have a habit of eating gearboxes and transfer boxes. I did my homework, when Iw as looking at a jap sports-car, as I looked at them... The weigh about 1800kg, which is a lot! The amount of people who own Supra's on here and drive them to within of thier lives, is uncountable. The supra is such a strong, reliable car. Why did BMW fear it, when it first came out?

Sorry for my ramble, hope you find your wife a perfect car!

Guest dee_rz
s2000 was "pretty" !!? (wife words) but it isn't an auto...

and the RX7 does come in TT auto format. test drove one !

the review below suggests that it is a pretty close call between Supra/ZX with RX potentially much closer but for reliability... (YES, it is American stats)

http://www.geocities.com/ma71supraturbo/articles/mk4/9_93cdsupra.html

Thats an awesome write up in that link, i never seen that one before, i have to say if money is the issue in this choice go with the 300zx and built the block with really good inturnals straight away, not that there not good because they are but again find a good well looked after example, rex for me is too much of a lottery to own and from what you want from a car not what i think you should go for, 300zx, coilovers, racelogic and good tyres and some mods :)

Guest khyberpass

Well,,

took missus to local fella with a few of everything for her to take a butchers at...

ZX - blew the ZX out straight away (damn)..."looks old and too long"

GTO - blew the GTO out straight after (ok)..."just don't like it; don't know why"

RX - purred at RX7 (ok)...."that's beautiful. BUT back seats are a problem..."

SUPRA - pulled face at Supra (s**t)..."not sure about outside. looks fat...like the inside but not sure of outside" (it was Bomax kitted???)

THEN the stuff of nightmares happened....

".......what's that really nice looking car over there next to the Ferrari??????"

A fu**ing FTO....she liked the fu**ing FTO...........................................

Thought I'd take her for a test drive to clear her senses.....should have known better....."ooh look, its got an MP3 player and the air con is really cool".

Explained that her Vel Satis (daily drive around) goes faster than this "sports car?" she was in......."but it feels fast because its really bumpy and jerky, and people look at it".... of course they look at it.....they look at snuff movies too...doesn't mean they want to be in it!

Would you believe it ??????

So I've put a spade around her head and burried her in the garden.....and still on the look out for a good/good value Supra or RX7 ! (fu**ing FTO, my ass)

THEN the stuff of nightmares happened....

".......what's that really nice looking car over there next to the Ferrari??????"

A fu**ing FTO....she liked the fu**ing FTO...........................................

Would you believe it ??????

)

my wife loves them!!!! what is it with women!

Guest goodoldgrandad

Having looked at all the alternatives I've just got an Aristo (Lexus V300 twin turbo Triptronic) - most bits are based on the Supra with the Lexus comfort. Best car I've been in, stunning performance, four day family car as well. OK it's not the traditional sports car looks, but it's a drivers car that also lets you have passengers that can enjoy the car when you're not racing about. I'd seriously look at this option as being the most practical preformance car I've driven. As this is also Supra based it is perhaps the most reliable and easy to service, etc - and this club site is brillient.:)

Guest ALB_BOY

I've only had my supra for a few weeks now and i just love. I just wanna jump in it and drive it all day. Its by far the best car i ever had and its not even a turbo.

You know supra is the car you want.