The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol

jazz1

Don’t believe all the hype created by the worried marketing managers at shell that Tesco 99 isn’t as good. Try it for yourself and make your mind up from that.

Tesco 99 is hit and miss pot luck they buy from different suppliers and its not always 99 RON I bought some on the way back from pod drove no differently found more response and maanged to get an extra 40 miles from a tank full

I've always sworn by Optimax.

If I had to run it on anything else, I always found that when I gave it a new tank of Optimax I could actually feel the car performing better.

HOWEVER, on my present car I had the tell-tale signs of valve stem oil seals being on their way out. Puff of smoke on cold start and when giving it some gas after idling.

After reading a thread on here about a possibility of Optimax being a contributory factor in this, I changed to Tesco 99. (Still get the odd £10 of Optimax as the Shell station is only up the road) After a couple of months of running Tesco fuel, I have found that the smoke situation has got at least 50% (probably more like 75%) better than before. The performance of the car is no different and on one occasion when we left Norwich on our way to Le Mans, I filled up early in the day with Tesco 99 and the car went like an absolute rocket! I don't think I've ever seen it go so well before or since.

But the main thing is that I'm happy that the smoke thing is so much better since reducing the cars Optimax intake.

Car on the road now then jazz? How much did you end up paying for insurance in the end?

not on the road yet but iv been starting the car up now and then but im just waitijng for my rest of my kit and the car can be done soon. The insurance i already have a great deal with my three points and kit on the supe at 1400 fully comp but limited miles a year

• 3 weeks later...

ok after starting my car few times after using the high octane fuel it goes straight to 2000 revs and after five minutes goes down to 1000 it feels more responsive when putting my foot on the accelerater but will this high revs go back to normal and are my sensors going to be ok?

ok after starting my car few times after using the high octane fuel it goes straight to 2000 revs and after five minutes goes down to 1000 it feels more responsive when putting my foot on the accelerater but will this high revs go back to normal and are my sensors going to be ok?

After swapping to Optimax, try resetting your ECU and taking it for a good 20 mile drive. This will allow the ECU to relearn using the higher octane fuel (It really does make a difference too!)