The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Brake conversion - Gauging interest

supragold

All Im saying guys is, 2 weeks ago and I would have been here putting my name down as well, my UK's have given up on me time and time again, and I was already looking around at a caliper upgrade cause I honestly thought it the only way to sort it once and for all, but seriously I cant believe how much these discs seem to love getting hot.........and make your calipers seem like something more......

Save yourself some real money guys.....;)

All Im saying guys is, 2 weeks ago and I would have been here putting my name down as well, my UK's have given up on me time and time again, and I was already looking around at a caliper upgrade cause I honestly thought it the only way to sort it once and for all, but seriously I cant believe how much these discs seem to love getting hot.........and make your calipers seem like something more......

Save yourself some real money guys.....;)

While I agree in part (my new DBAs are great, even on stock pads) I would love a 6 pot upgrade. But I ain't throwing away £800 worth of goodies just yet - I've only had them less than a month!

If you can make a set of UK brakes in good condition with decent pads, fluid and disks fade then perhaps you are driving a bit too quickly to be on the roads. When the Supra was released it was the fastest stopping mass production car of the time. Take a look at the official figures for stopping from 70mph, its something like half the distance that the Highway Code suggests.

Before an upgrade to 6 pots I would make sure that you have fluished through the brake fluid and then put some decent stuff in there, put some decent pads on (CW fast road or similar) and checked your disks over. If they have warped and been skimmed at any point then put some new stock or decent aftermarket ones in.

I ran my j-spec on 2 pot brakes running CW race pads and did lap after lap of Donnington without any fade or warping of the disks. Theres a lot of factors that can affect your brakes, even bad lowering springs can cause problems as it throws the weight of the car further forward and puts more load on the front.

Even the big power supras can survive on the UK 4 pots, theres a reason why you need special wheels with UK spec brakes, the calipers are huge and designed to take the heat from continued high speed stops on unlimited roads in Europe.

JB