The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V8 Supra anyone?

Kip

Rob. Its there so you can override the Park setting when key's are out of ignition or summit. I have no idea why you would want to do that, but its there! Valeting, servicing etc, I assume.

It may also be the passenger eject button. Especially in an Aero. So use with care!

Seriously tyring to figure out why on earth it was worth it.?

I saw this on Saturday and its a good conversion BUT the supra engine makes SO MUCH power when its tuned and I cant see them competing that V8 on to the 1/4 mile.

Nice concept and idea but I dont think it was worth it. I can understand why someone would shoehorn one of these lumps it to an MR2 bay but not the supra bay.

Seriously tyring to figure out why on earth it was worth it.?

I saw this on Saturday and its a good conversion BUT the supra engine makes SO MUCH power when its tuned and I cant see them competing that V8 on to the 1/4 mile.

Nice concept and idea but I dont think it was worth it. I can understand why someone would shoehorn one of these lumps it to an MR2 bay but not the supra bay.

If you have the money! why not! it would be interesting to see the figures. There is obviously a lot more scope for power from a 4.7 V8 TT!!!!!!!!!

If you have the money! why not! it would be interesting to see the figures. There is obviously a lot more scope for power from a 4.7 V8 TT!!!!!!!!!

I agree but I dont think they are going to take full advantage of the possibilities so its just not worth it.

If they were shooting for over 1000 bhp It would become interesting then but Im confident they are not.

I agree but I dont think they are going to take full advantage of the possibilities so its just not worth it.

If they were shooting for over 1000 bhp It would become interesting then but Im confident they are not.

Only time will tell. Its defo something i want to see when it finished, i love big engines. As that chappy from some company said:

"Theres no substitute for cubic capacity!"

Hang on, yes there is, VGT's!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's a VGT?

More CC's = more torque...more drivable and more flexible...the engine's probably not much heavier either as it's all Ali compared to the cast iron 2JZ. So 1 extra ltr and no real downsides...I'd say that was reason enough if you have the cash to throw at the project.

What's a VGT?

More CC's = more torque...more drivable and more flexible...the engine's probably not much heavier either as it's all Ali compared to the cast iron 2JZ. So 1 extra ltr and no real downsides...I'd say that was reason enough if you have the cash to throw at the project.

VGT stands for “variable geometry turbo”. Its basically a turbo that has vanes on the exhaust inlet that matches the inlet diameter to the inlet flow. For example;

A hose pipe that has little water flowing through it has little pressure coming out the end, but if you stick your thumb over the end of that hosepipe then the pressure is higher coming out. That’s what a VGT does until gases are flowing and the inlet can open up to capacity. Removes the need for twin turbo set ups and works better than a twin also, as the VGT is constantly changing for optimisation.

They have been around on Diesels for a while, but the higher temps in a petrol engine means that the vanes haven’t been able to cope and have melted away….. well, until the new porshe 911 turbo that is. Porshe engineers have managed to engineer a VGT for a petrol engine!!!! F me, that means the 911 turbo is going to b a sick car. In other words; up there at the top of the top gear track board!!

Rob. Its there so you can override the Park setting when key's are out of ignition or summit. I have no idea why you would want to do that, but its there! Valeting, servicing etc, I assume.

It may also be the passenger eject button. Especially in an Aero. So use with care!

Hmmm, some people just dont appreciate irony :)

Alex knows how VGT turbos work. We used to call them VNT, I guess they've been renamed somewhere along the line.

Lol :yes:

Very Good...erm I mean Variable Geometry Turbo must be a trade name for Borg-Warner, the makers of the turbo's on the 997 Turbo. Garrett use VNT etc etc...