The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual button next to auto lever? What does it do?

doeboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mk47
Allowsyoutotakeitoutofparkwithouthavingyourfootonthebrakeorkeysintheignition.

Sorry, that was a reflex action.

excellent thank you! very valuable information for me there :p

Originally Posted by supra01

top speed with overdrive OFF is like 190

Please don't answer questions in the Technical section. You clearly have NFI what you're on about.
ok can you tell us all ??

Ignoring all the other wrong stuff in your posts, do you seriously think an auto Supra is capable of 190mph in third gear?

Look, we all know you're a total fantasist and attention seeker, but please, just do everyone a favour and keep out of the Tech section before you hurt someone.

Certainly, it's a few sections downwards from where we are now :D

Actually, where's class one? If you want to know the way, ask a policeman.

To be honest though the thread is in Supra chat and the question was a general Supra related one - and some of the replies can hardly be called technical :p

Yup, top speed in an auto is in 4th gear (obviously).

But I've been thinking about this recently and I think I'm going mad..... I come off a roundabout near me and put my foot down in manual mode. I shift into 3rd and when I hit just over 100 leptons I put it back into auto mode so I can use 4th gear when the time comes. Now I swear that the revs take a quick jump when I put the car back into auto :conf: All this is at WOT and in both auto and manual mode the car is in 3rd gear.

How is this possible? I'm sure it's not my imagination, the revs DO make a quick jump when I move from manual to auto mode at WOT in 3rd gear, even though my judgement tells me that the gear ratios are the same.

Doesn't sound quite right, my MKii & Mkiii never did this.

Could it be to do with the TC locking up, but I thought this only happened in O/D, but I seem to remember that 3rd partially locked up.

Maybe you are seeing this partial lock up happening when comming out of Manual mode.

*** Edit ***

Just read the remaining posts, maybe I shouldn't have tried to be serious at all here..

Doesn't sound quite right, my MKii & Mkiii never did this.

Could it be to do with the TC locking up, but I thought this only happened in O/D, but I seem to remember that 3rd partially locked up.

Maybe you are seeing this partial lock up happening when comming out of Manual mode.

Thanks Paul :thumbs: It really is quite difficult to explain and I've only noticed it at WOT - no other strange behaviour from the diff / power delivery. It's not like it lags or has a lack of power etc, just seems to skip a few hundred revs in auto mode, but keeps on smoothly accelerating if you understand me :) When I get a chance I'll take a vid of it to show what I'm talking about.

How the fuck can you PARTIALLY lock up a torque converter, it's either locked or not. :banghead:

Guest supra01
Ignoring all the other wrong stuff in your posts, do you seriously think an auto Supra is capable of 190mph in third gear?

:wtf: :spank: :hunter: :hang: :aggress: :idiot:

Guest supra01
Dude seriously! As Jake says no one likes bullshittin etc in Tech, think Ian will have some pruning to do here.

yah understand pal. but i,m trying to give some help reqd by a member. OK

ADs

yah understand pal. but i,m trying to give some help reqd by a member. OK

ADs

Thats an admirable sentiment but you really need to ensure that the information given is factual mate. The tech section is usually a place where people come to get info that is correct and well thought out. Yours doesn't seem to be either.

Guest mk47

well apparently i heard... if u press the manu button a clutch appears just to the left of your brake pedal - and bobs your uncle :)

Thats an admirable sentiment but you really need to ensure that the information given is factual mate. The tech section is usually a place where people come to get info that is correct and well thought out. Yours doesn't seem to be either.

What the hells goin on with the quoting system?! Col, in your post it looks like i'm the one sayin that crap :hide:

I think they Qs been answered anyway so a lot of this thread is waiting to be pruned :D

Dude seriously! As Jake says no one likes bullshittin etc in Tech, think Ian will have some pruning to do here.

Obviously not arguing about the bull***t factor, but this thread isn't in technical, it's in Supra chat ;)

Doesn't make the advice given any better though!

What the hells goin on with the quoting system?!

Supra01 cocked up his quote, having a {quote} tag at the start but no closing {/quote} at the end. You lot are all quoting his post and the proceeding posts, and therefore are still missing a {/quote} at the end.

Obviously not arguing about the bull***t factor, but this thread isn't in technical, it's in Supra chat ;)

Doesn't make the advice given any better though!

It's been moved :D

P.S. Cheers Carl, didn't notice there was a tag missing :thumbs:

It doesn't affect the rev range at all. That's why with O/D Off you can't go above 120mph, cause that's only achievable in 4th gear.

Example 1

Amagine this, you're in a manual crusing along a nice stretch of single carriageway A-road. You come up behind a couple of lorries doing a far from acceptable speed. So you decide to overtake. You watch the on comming traffic, you see a gap about to approach so you drop it into 3rd to bring the revs/boost up, and as the last car passes you pull out and boot it. A perfect overtake.

Now amagine doing it in an automatic. You do nothing, as the last car goes past you pull out and kickdown. Can be very dangerous especially in the rain. You're pulling out in a high gear, then the car is changing down a gear, then you're shooting up the rev range probably engaging the 2nd turbo in the process. Then finally you have full power to overtake, by which time you've already (slowly) done half of the over taking. The reason I say it's dangerous is for the same reason you try to avoid the car changing down whilst going around a roundabout, you could lose the back end in the wet.

So, the what you do is turn off the overdrive. That drops the car into 3rd, which means you'll be higher up the rev range and hopefully have the 2nd turbo engaged in a controlled maner. When you pull out you instantly have all the power there at your disposal. No waiting for gear changes, boost increases etc.

Example 2

Imagine you're on some twisty roads and having some fun. In a manual you'd probably keep it in 3rd, only chaning down to 2nd for tight corners and only going into 4th+ for long straights.

What happens in the auto, you accellerate up to a corner, take your foot off to go round the corner and it changes up a gear. You put your foot down coming out of the corner and it changes down gear up, then up, then down, always changing between 3rd and O/D. Turning O/D off prevents this, it also give some engine breaking when entering the corners, and means you have more power there when coming out of them. If you reach a slow corner then it will still drop down into 2nd, just like you would in the manual.

Example 3

Touched upon above really. You're going down a steep hill. In a manual you could put it into 3rd to get lots of engine breaking to make the decent at a safer speed without over heating the breaks. In an auto you can turn off O/D to achieve the same thing.

Does that help?

Adam

lol, you cheeky git. I wrote that! See

can you get banned for paraphrasing a SuperMod and passing it off as your own work? :eyebrows:
He didn't even try to paraphrase it, it blatant plagiarism!

Just a shame the post he chose to plagiarise was about a completely different subject.

Supra01 cocked up his quote, having a {quote} tag at the start but no closing {/quote} at the end. You lot are all quoting his post and the proceeding posts, and therefore are still missing a {/quote} at the end.

:yeahthat:

Except it's obviously not a {/quote} tag it's actually a [noparse][/noparse] tag - but that's just me being picky. :D