The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mines ECU update

Alex

But they're selling it as a tuning part . . . no sense doing that if retains the limitations of the stock gear.

I understand what you're saying about the engine safety type thing, BUT - no one would buy a boost controller that only let you boost up to standard fuel cut, and this appears to be the ECU equivalent.  Tuners want to extend the engines limitations, not be bound by them!

Quote: from Gareth Davies on 8:41 pm on Nov. 10, 2001[br]Yeah wtf do they only manage fuel up to 1.1 kg/cm? Is it limited by the stock 02 sensor etc. If I was replacing an ECU that would be most of the point! Oh well guess it's useful to know.

Do you know if it's a plug and play ecu (i.e. straight swap) or does it all need rewiring? Something I really should try and find out before I attach the RLTC to it.

That's easy, the stock MAP sensor is a 2 bar one. Normal atmospheric pressure accounts for 1 bar, so running another bar of boost accounts for the sensors full range. Hence, unless you change the sensor the ECU has no means of reading pressure above 1 bar. Apexi Power FC has the ability to be kludged to use a 3 bar sensor. At the end of the day the proper answer is a fully programmable ECU. Most talk here is about fuelling. Ignition timing is equally important and rarely addressed by the add on stuff. I guarantee if someone running say big HKS twins or a big single were to have a mappable ECU  set up on an engine dyno the difference would be considearble. Christians big turbos exhibited real lag at Bentwaters, far more obviously than apparent on the road, the more I thought about it driving home the more I realised that mapping in a rook of advance lower down off boost would improve it. The stock turbos would be making boost at 1500 RPM, his did little until 3800 RPM, the interim soggy bottom end could be pulled up with timing advance, especially with his cams. With regard to this new ECU that is being discussed, I believe it will only be for USA cars, and although it may well work on a UK car with AFM, it will not be suitable for the speed density system on the J-Spec models.

I have a Power FC on my Mazda (borrowed to clean up an overly rich bottom end due to air pump removal). Whilst a PITA to adjust and very limited in what you can adjust, it works well and allows a lot more tinkering than any user mappable add ons i have yet seen. Those with J-Spec manual none VVti's might be better getting a Power FC from Japan. Admittedly this in itself is a PITA....

Chris

Is it possible to change the MAP sensor to a 3 bar one, or would this be pointless as the ECU is only programmed to deal with a 2 bar sensor.

My Blitz ECU does not appear to have any boost limit and the fuel Map is considerably richer than standard so would it work with this?

Mark Brown

I believe it will only be for USA cars, and although it may well work on a UK car with AFM, it will not be suitable for the speed density system on the J-Spec models.

I did see on one of the posts on the US forum that the new AEM ECU could be set up on a US car to not need the AFM without using a VPC, so I suppose it must be able to do all the fueling on RPM/Boost/TP etc I suppose the main thing is if the pinouts are the same on UK/US/Jap ECUs with only inputs/outputs missing rather than swapped about on the pins.

I have a Power FC on my Mazda (borrowed to clean up an overly rich bottom end due to air pump removal). Whilst a PITA to adjust and very limited in what you can adjust, it works well and allows a lot more tinkering than any user mappable add ons i have yet seen. Those with J-Spec manual none VVti's might be better getting a Power FC from Japan. Admittedly this in itself is a PITA....

The PowerFC is a great peice of kit, I have fitted one to my Integra Type R, I am running the standard Jap ignition/injection settings with no problems in this weather. So my ITR should be running 200PS intead of 190PS as the UK and Jap Teg R engines are physically identical. :) The guy who does my servicing said he could feel the difference from last time (cat and filter modded only at that time).

The only thing I have found is that Honda really push the injectors when accelerating I have hit over 97% injector cycle at 7500rpm (still 700rpm to go), so it looks like I will be upgrading my injectors before the bigger cams go in.