The mkiv Supra Owners Club

got beaten by an old rover!

squiffy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at the end of the day it was a Rover if you'de followed him much further you would have witnessed bits falling off and then a cloud of steam as his head gasket went (probably for about the 3rd time) i should know as i used to have one, dont worry mate your car is a 100 times better

did he have a line of cars behind him

Well that may be your opinion, but perhaps you could have expressed it in a slightly less offensive manner. I find that mine handles well, has sufficient power to embarass any car in its segment/price bracket whilst remaining economical. It has proved utterly reliable in the time I've owned it.

It is precisely your attitude that 'anything british made' is 'pigshit' that our once proud country is in the dumps. Perhaps you'd like to form your OWN opinions on things rather than, sheep like, believe everything you read in the media. For example the british company Mission make superlative home hi-fi speakers. Much better than anything coming out of Japan.

Fair point, did not mean to be offensive, my humour is dry to say the least, however this is a site for a Jap car, and i do agree mission speakers are good, the opinions regarding the cars are my own however, and i do despise the media and do not like to have the news on in the house, and have not bought a newspaper in over 20 years.

Guest Taine
Fair point, did not mean to be offensive, my humour is dry to say the least, however this is a site for a Jap car, and i do agree mission speakers are good, the opinions regarding the cars are my own however, and i do despise the media and do not like to have the news on in the house, and have not bought a newspaper in over 20 years.

OK :) Well I'm really looking forward to learning more about the Supra so I'm sure we can find things we do agree on :D Where did you first come across the supra and what things made you buy one mattanna?

Guest Taine
Hey Taine

your obviously a Rover dude :rolleyes: how come your on here are you thinking of moving to the dark side, give in to the dark side :flame:

Almost certainly when I can afford it! It's that fantastic inline-6 engine note that drew me in!

OK :) Well I'm really looking forward to learning more about the Supra so I'm sure we can find things we do agree on :D Where did you first come across the supra and what things made you buy one mattanna?

Have always liked them and never realised you could get them for such good prices, thought they still cost the earth, so did some research and here we are(moaning that i don't have enough power!!).Still think they are a fine looking car even by today's standards, and the reliability sealed it for me really, hope you sort one soon, let us all know if you need any help etc etc

Matt

I was going to buy a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo after seeing it on Gran Tourismo on the Platstation when it first came out until i baught a Supra TT later in the game and i've been in love with them ever since!

Never raced a GTO though in real life against the Supra, anyone had experience?

Guest Taine
Be warned when the dark side bites i had never modded a car prior to the supe, 5 years, double the HP and about 10 k later :nooo:

LOL - I'll bear that in mind! ;)

Have always liked them and never realised you could get them for such good prices, thought they still cost the earth, so did some research and here we are(moaning that i don't have enough power!!).Still think they are a fine looking car even by today's standards, and the reliability sealed it for me really, hope you sort one soon, let us all know if you need any help etc etc

Matt

Cheers!

i dont like british stuff myself, anything british, including the people themselves :D apart from a select few, so il agree with you on this one

Oi,. just in case your unsure,..

you are British. (part of the British isles etc )

i think you mean you dont like English ?

did you know that theres so many Irish now that dont actualy live in Ireland that the irish tourist board is going to change there slogan to :

"Ireland - were not all there" :D

You should have went round 5 mins later again and you would have seen him pulled up on the hard shoulder somewhere waiting for the AA or the RAC, in his shed. :p

well a big puff of smoke came out the exhaust one of the times he booted it!

I was going to buy a Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo after seeing it on Gran Tourismo on the Platstation when it first came out until i baught a Supra TT later in the game and i've been in love with them ever since!

Never raced a GTO though in real life against the Supra, anyone had experience?

I raced a twin turbo facelift gto in my old na auto! pulled up next to him at a set of traffic lights leading onto a motorway. He was quicker:( , but not as fast as you'd think when compared to an na!! I think they're about 1800kg so they're pretty heavy! Wish I was in the tt, would have beaten him by a fair bit i think.:D

It probably broke after pullling away:) . Not heard many people say good things about TT GTO's. Shame cos it's a nice looking car but then again if you like a car a lot then you learn to live with the fact it might break and accept it.

Guest Supersonic

I've a Rover Vitesse, and whilst it sounds like you were burned off by a

hot little 200 series Coupe, I wouldn't argue with the 600's or 800's either.

Much of this Rover head gasket stuff is becoming urban legend, anyone

who knows the turbo Rovers knows that it was sorted for good in the

mid 90's and the T-series blocks are bulletproof. Serviced properly and

maintained right and you can treat them like you hate it (like I do...) and

they will see the faster side of 150mph on a german autobahn and will

seat four of your mates and their all of their holiday luggage too...

The secret is the gearing...50-70 speeds in the Turbo'd 600 and 800's are

class leading and they are cheap as a poke of chips right now!

Much of this Rover head gasket stuff is becoming urban legend

i dont think so mate this was last year on a 3 year old car, one of the mechanics i spoke to about this reckoned one of the problems was plastic locating dowels in the head which allowed the head to move then fail, i dont want to start an anti Rover thread but my personal experience of Rovers is of shocking build quality and equally shocking reliability, i finally gave up when the windscreen wipers gave up on intermitant and the boot lid flew up at 70mph on the M6, boot locking mechanisms and wipers aint exactly cutting edge technology, i bought a Yaris and guess whats gone wrong with that ?

Sorry I have to jump to the Rover's defence here.

I had a Rover Coupe Turbo (2 in fact). The first 1 was stock and the 2nd was probably one of the best in the country mods wise. It absolutely rocked and was one of the best cars I've driven. You could throw it into a corner at any speed and it would go round like its on rails (the modded one, the stock one wasn't quite as good!)

The reason I sold it is I badly wanted a Supra, and it only cost me £2k to upgrade to one!

Gaz.

Oi,. just in case your unsure,..

you are British. (part of the British isles etc )

i think you mean you dont like English ?

did you know that theres so many Irish now that dont actualy live in Ireland that the irish tourist board is going to change there slogan to :

"Ireland - were not all there" :D

Not British if he is from Southern Ireland, so that's what he probably meant, only Northern Ireland is part of Britain