The mkiv Supra Owners Club

got beaten by an old rover!

squiffy

Guest Taine

Hey guys - I just joined this forum as I'd like to soak up some knowledge about the supra. Although I cant afford one now (Im studying at university at the moment) its most certainly a car I'd want to consider on my shopping list when I qualify in (unfortunately) some years time.

I was going to start my own intro thread but saw this one and I'm a Rover Coupe owner myself! I have the 1.8VVC with a few tweaks which should see it putting out 155bhp but still returning fairly good mpg (the main reason why I didnt opt for the 2.0 turbo). I wouldnt worry about being beaten by the turbo variant - like has been said they are surprisingly fast and the T-series engine in them is fairly robust and tunable. I'm sure if you want more info, the guys on http://www.rover-coupe.com/ would be happy to answer :)

My personal gallery is here if you want to take a peek :) http://www.rover-coupe.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&cat=10248

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys - I just joined this forum as I'd like to soak up some knowledge about the supra. Although I cant afford one now (Im studying at university at the moment) its most certainly a car I'd want to consider on my shopping list when I qualify in (unfortunately) some years time.

I was going to start my own intro thread but saw this one and I'm a Rover Coupe owner myself! I have the 1.8VVC with a few tweaks which should see it putting out 155bhp but still returning fairly good mpg (the main reason why I didnt opt for the 2.0 turbo). I wouldnt worry about being beaten by the turbo variant - like has been said they are surprisingly fast and the T-series engine in them is fairly robust and tunable. I'm sure if you want more info, the guys on http://www.rover-coupe.com/ would be happy to answer :)

My personal gallery is here if you want to take a peek :) http://www.rover-coupe.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&cat=10248

I think rovertech.net is a better forum for info. on Rovers.

Guest Taine
I think rovertech.net is a better forum for info. on Rovers.

Ah yes rovertech is definately very good as well, however the information there will cover not just the coupe, but other models of MG-rover. Rover-coupe.com does what it says on the tin and members there post on RT and vice-versa - take your pick! :D

Guest Flat4_ire

HAHA id be selling and buying a TT, they are around 200bhp but some are obviously a bit more, you should know by now that supra n/a's are not for racing! unless u wanna race corsas and even at that a 1.6gsi would probably have you :p

Yes but can you imagine being in the thing at anything over 120mph, rovers are pieces of shit, hence why the company went bust, it was not due to anything other than the fact that no one wanted to buy them, i have a friend who has the tomcat coupe and he says that at 120 you feel like you are in a sardine tin and living on a prayer, they are light and shite, i mean who the fuck would want to drive a super 7 caterham, just because it is fast?, no roof and weighs fuck all so where is the surprise?, n/a supras are not up to much but at least they look good and feel solid and well built, an they can do 0-60 in 6.5 with a near 400kg weight excess over the 200bhp rover so only 0.3 of a sec in it for all those who give a shite, rovers are like anything British made, pigshit

Guest Flat4_ire
Yes but can you imagine being in the thing at anything over 120mph, rovers are pieces of shit, hence why the company went bust, it was not due to anything other than the fact that no one wanted to buy them, i have a friend who has the tomcat coupe and he says that at 120 you feel like you are in a sardine tin and living on a prayer, they are light and shite, i mean who the fuck would want to drive a super 7 caterham, just because it is fast?, no roof and weighs fuck all so where is the surprise?, n/a supras are not up to much but at least they look good and feel solid and well built, an they can do 0-60 in 6.5 with a near 400kg weight excess over the 200bhp rover so only 0.3 of a sec in it for all those who give a shite, rovers are like anything British made, pigshit

aston martin?

Aston martin included(american really now) up until now(the models made in the last two years)they had a jaguar xjs floor pan(db7) and electronics, i would sell one if i won it and would never buy one even if rich, i would say that aston martin are onlya marginal improvement on rover, they have that looki about them that if you touch them your hand will smell of shit, imo of course

Guest Flat4_ire
Aston martin included(american really now) up until now(the models made in the last two years)they had a jaguar xjs floor pan(db7) and electronics, i would sell one if i won it and would never buy one even if rich, i would say that aston martin are onlya marginal improvement on rover, they have that looki about them that if you touch them your hand will smell of shit, imo of course

i dont like british stuff myself, anything british, including the people themselves :D apart from a select few, so il agree with you on this one

I feel like I’m confessing here but I had 220GTI turbo about 5/6 years ago and loved it! I was really quick for what it was! and I had it tuned to about 225bhp, but when comparing it to N/A it may pull away in the straights but it was crap round the corners because of the torque steer!

As far as MG-ROVER being crap, my wife had an MGTF 160 for three years (sold it about 11 months ago and got the money she put into the deal back) Never had a problem with etc did loads of miles. She started nagging about getting rid of it for something else as MG rover had gone bust, so we went out and got a nearly new Audi A4 Quattro and OMG that is the biggest piece of crap ever we have had nothing but hassle its spent about 4 months back with Audi so really I would have the MG back any day of week! Or as I keep saying to her what about another Supra :)

Guest Taine

Well that may be your opinion, but perhaps you could have expressed it in a slightly less offensive manner. I find that mine handles well, has sufficient power to embarass any car in its segment/price bracket whilst remaining economical. It has proved utterly reliable in the time I've owned it.

It is precisely your attitude that 'anything british made' is 'pigshit' that our once proud country is in the dumps. Perhaps you'd like to form your OWN opinions on things rather than, sheep like, believe everything you read in the media. For example the british company Mission make superlative home hi-fi speakers. Much better than anything coming out of Japan.

Guest Taine
Isn't the turbo called a Rover Tomcat?

Yes, you should have baught a TT!

If you listen closely to a rover you can hear it rusting!;)

All the coupes had the pre-production codename of 'Tomcat' :) I'd also like to point out that modern era rovers do not rust ant more or less than any other car - admittedly partly due to technology sharing between Honda during the 90s :)

modern era rovers

sorry mate but they are now dead as the dodo and after owning one i can see why, the f****g b*****d piece of junk caused me more problems than all my other cars put together they are (were) a joke, the wife insisted we buy it "cos its a nice colour" crap cars end of story lol

Guest Taine
sorry mate but they are now dead as the dodo and after owning one i can see why, the f****g b*****d piece of junk caused me more problems than all my other cars put together they are (were) a joke, the wife insisted we buy it "cos its a nice colour" crap cars end of story lol

Sorry to hear that - annoying when a car causes you a ton of problems :( Thing is just because yours was crap, doesn't mean ALL of them are crap. ;)

Guest Flat4_ire

hehe, nice

Guest Flat4_ire
Sorry to hear that - annoying when a car causes you a ton of problems :( Thing is just because yours was crap, doesn't mean ALL of them are crap. ;)

well to him they all are, cos his caused him so much pain he will never ever go near one again :D

Guest Taine

Ah well, I'm happy with mine and I don't want to sound like an utter fanboy so I'll be quiet ;) It could be worse.. I could drive a Vauxhall :p

when i told my MOT man it had blown the head gasket he fell on the floor laughing and told me they had had 2 in that week and could'nt guarantee that it wouldn't do it again and chances are it would do it again, his advice was to get the head gasket soughted and get get rid pronto, i did just that and got a phone call from a confused woman 4 months later who had bought the car from a trader and guess what, the head gasket had gone again:(

Guest Taine
when i told my MOT man it had blown the head gasket he fell on the floor laughing and told me they had had 2 in that week and could'nt guarantee that it wouldn't do it again and chances are it would do it again, his advice was to get the head gasket soughted and get get rid pronto, i did just that and got a phone call from a confused woman 4 months later who had bought the car from a trader and guess what, the head gasket had gone again:(

Can totally see why you wouldn't want another :) Fortunately mine's been good as gold - but I'll make sure everyone knows if the headgasket blows ;)