The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power Engineering

Guest Ash

http://www.evoblast.com/PE.htm

Came across the above link while surfing around today. Not strictly MKIV technical but the technicalities could be applied to MKIVs all the same.

I particularly like the paragraph, "I was doing several acceleration tests against a standard EVO6, belonging to a friend of main Lasse, and suprise suprise. His car was faster in all the tests!!!"

Especially as he displays quite an impressive modifications list directly above and his mate's car was totally stock. :)

Anyone familiar with Power Engineering?

I'm sure I have heard them mentioned on this BBS in the past. But I've long-since learnt to switch off when I hear names of tuners.

Looks like yet another one to avoid... as if we didn't have enough already.

Yours,

J  

The Scoobie boys used to use them a lot, and then started to get some bad experiences and decided to discuss it on their BBS. Some of it got quite 'detailed' and PE took exception to it and I believe they threatened legal action against the BBS owner, who promptly dropped the site and walked away from it. The current owner then picked up the BBS and has continued with it. Some of the scoob boys use PE, but I think most of them use other tuners who are more to their liking.

We also did a dyno day at PE a while back (where J went for the potential maximum number of cars to hit while doing a powerslide..) and it all went okay until they dyno'd Martin Shoebridges car which had been to them before and dynod at 450bhp, he had had some mods which should have made it more powerful but their rolling road tops out at 300bhp (flat line on power graph...) so they then worked on the readout and it came out at about 450bhp. Not exactly sure what they did to the readout but we all looked a little puzzled...

Seems most of them work that way though, so its not just PE.

JB

That reminds me.  If we want another RR day, Interpro in Bristol claim that they can cope with 800 WHEEL horse-power.  I was somewhat skeptical, and they claimed that they'd had a twin-turbo Viper on it and accurately measured it.  They also seemed to strap the cars down a *lot* more securely than PE did when we were there.  Loads of parking too - maybe one to consider for a RR day?

I read an article somewhere about dynos that bolt to the wheel hubs. Seems a better idea than friction rollers, especially for higher power cars.

It's scary sometimes reading about how people have their cars' fuelling optimised on a dyno. I'm not now talking of Leon particularly. It's just that the previous post reminded me of times when I have read in Max Power about a car that have been "dyno tuned".

An accurate chassis dynamometer is a fine tool for deriving base settings. But the car must then be optimised under actual road conditions. Especially a high power forced-induction car with a large FMIC.

Yours,

J