The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1/4 time on my T61

Pig

In my experience you will never get a good start without a high stall TC which in my opinion will ruin the car for day to day driving.

It feels like you just roll off the line for the first 30 - 40 ft then all hell breaks lose?

sorry, thats what i mean. Full boost at 4k!

Forgot to get the slip. Just had mates telling me the times!

As far as i was aware i didnt get any/much wheel spin, i had the RLTC set on 20% and it didnt kick in!

John... you should be on boost way before 4k...i hit full boost at 1.4bar at about 3.2k.... are you sure your not getting on boost till that late.. i cant see it being the Map as it was Ian.C that mapped it, i'll take you for a spin in mine bud see what ya think.

Last time I was at pod grip wasnt an issue, I do get full boost by ~3400 but it was the time taken between ~2000rpm power brake and coming onto bost that was the killer.

I personally think that if you want good 1/4 times you need a high stall TC, just look what Monkey Mark? did with a stockish setup and a HSTC!

Pig

i'me not sure when i hit full boost but at 2700-2800 the car is just starting to make positive boost, what are you using to control the ignition timing i know mine runs a lot of advance at low rpm to help matters and my main problem is traction off the line with 275's the RLTC is working overtime if you floor it, something doesn't sound quite right lag really shouldn't be a big issue with something as small as a T61, i've never "dragged" my car so 10 out of 10 for effort mate

that sounds bad,thought a t61 was a fast spooling turbo??? aint a t61 turbo one of the smallest turbos for supra.if it was your first time drag racing you have to get used to it.i remember when i was racing early on and i used to wait for other car to go then i set off lol.

now as soon as you see amber i launch it off and by the time lights go green you away to a good start.

would be better if you had more info from a timeslip so people could see where its going wrong.next time you go you can learn from your experience.

you were not on 19`s was you.

if you have more info i can add you to drag list

In my experience you will never get a good start without a high stall TC which in my opinion will ruin the car for day to day driving.

It feels like you just roll off the line for the first 30 - 40 ft then all hell breaks lose?

why you say that it ruins the car.i have a 4000 stall on stock turbos and i think its great.lots of people say a high stall is no good for street.suppose you have to try for yourself and not listen to everything you hear.

Hello all, I mapped this car, please direct your unfounded "badly set up/mapped" comments thisaway :p Well, it went alright when I was in it. I've got all the datalogs if anyone would like to pore over them :)

In 1st gear you'll be lucky to see full boost at any point in the rev range in a single turbo, especially with a stock torque converter. On mine I can't hit full boost even in 2nd as there isn't enough load on the engine and not enough time as it ratchets around the rev range. However this T61 in question takes from 3600 to 3900rpm in 3rd gear to hit it's wastegate controlled boost pressure so it does in fact spin up pretty fast.

The car was mapped to 0.8bar as that's the wastegate spring pressure and Jon didn't have any sort of boost control fitted at the time. The map is built for higher boost and translates upwards quite nicely in every other car I've mapped, although it's made to run richer rather than leaner if it's not fine tuned on the road. This may sap some power but not that much :shrug: Don't forget this was at a peak of 1.1bar boost as well, which is lowish boost.

Anyway, apart from all that I can't say why it appears to be acting so slow, unfortunately the datalogging method of "getting your mates to memorise the numbers" isn't all that accurate, is it not simply possibly they remembered it wrong...? Oh, just read you hit a rev limiter on the 110mph one, that'll shaft your terminal speed, what gear was that in :blink:

-Ian

Had it in second. went to change up but didnt move it properly!

Ian, please dont think that i am even 1 tiny bit blaming this on the map. The lag decreased a good amount when you mapped it. The car has been running very well ever since it was mapped. Apart from blowing vacum pipes due to the higher boost :) (sorted now)

I think a part of this maybe down to needing practice, or just that some things on the car really do need sorting before it will run properly. Am looking forward to the french trip to go out in another T61 and see the difference.

Oh and to all that are reading this, i love the turbo and the car feels like a fucking rocket. Dont let this time fool you!