The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Data logging for Racelogic TC

Graham Rudd

Quote: from Doughie on 11:19 pm on Nov. 21, 2001[br]Graham

Are you sure they're not just going to nick your code and save themselves some development costs ?   cos that's theft (assuming you hjave intellectual copyright on your app or whatever).

don't trust anyone when it comes to business and money.    

that's my advice.

Well, it would be of limited use to them as I didn't send them the source code, just the exe.

I'm WAY to trusting to suspect anyone of nicking anyway. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: from Doughie on 10:31 pm on Nov. 21, 2001[br]hang on Graham.

- i emailed Justin 2 days ago saying "i want a GPS - sort me a discount" and he sugeested (obviously) getting a group buy together.    I ahve done some research into it.   Looks like a Garmin Etrex or GPS12 or a Magellan unit.    

What's your preferred max. price ?

I may post up a thread on GPS to see how much interest we can get.

Bah! I managed  to miss this post last night. If you could chase this up Stu, that would be fantastic. Justin! Are you listening? :)

Not to sure how long I can resist the urge to just buy one though.

Graham aka Mr. Impulsive

Graham, can you make the trace on a seperate window that can be maximised in the release version rather than on the space on the dialog box? Also can you make it so when you open a dat file that it comes up with .dat in the files of type box, and I have a strange problem that when I use it on my main PC (Win98) it opens up in the My Documents folder rather than in the application folder. Minor stuff I know.

(Edited by HardHead42 at 8:45 am on Nov. 22, 2001)

Quote: from HardHead42 on 8:40 am on Nov. 22, 2001[br]Graham, can you make the trace on a seperate window that can be maximised in the release version rather than on the space on the dialog box? Also can you make it so when you open a dat file that it comes up with .dat in the files of type box, and I have a strange problem that when I use it on my main PC (Win98) it opens up in the My Documents folder rather than in the application folder. Minor stuff I know.

The actual data analysis window is seperated from the main dialog. The small data display shown in the screenshot is only used during real time capture.

I guess I was just designing it from the way I would personally use the system, that is capture all of the data then check it out afterwards.  Would people find it preferable for the actual data acquisition to also be in a 'normal' window? I.e. one that can be resized and made full screen etc.

As to the file load/save/default location/extenstion stuff, yep no problem, I will sort it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Graham

Ok, I've got the scroll and zoom feature working in the analysis window. I've examined a longer trace with a nice straight road drive section in it.

The two rear wheels speeds match up with each other, as do the two front wheel speeds. So what I get on the trace is a distinct seperation between front and rear wheel speeds. On the face of it I guess this is correct, if the RL unit is just pumping out raw data.

that shouldn't be happening.

the traces should all coincide.

Must be one of two things:

1) ABS sensors have different tooth count front to rear

OR

2) (more likely)  you've entered your Driven and Reference diameters wrong.    By my calculations, they should be (assuming you didn't make a typo) :

REAR (Driven) : 628mm

FRONT (Reference) : 678mm

(are you sure your rears are 30% profile??)

(Edited by Doughie at 10:58 am on Nov. 22, 2001)

I guess I was just designing it from the way I would personally use the system, that is capture all of the data then check it out afterwards.  Would people find it preferable for the actual data acquisition to also be in a 'normal' window? I.e. one that can be resized and made full screen etc.

A sizable window would be very useful for realtime in car monitoring.

Quote: from Doughie on 10:56 am on Nov. 22, 2001[br]that shouldn't be happening.

the traces should all coincide.

Must be one of two things:

1) ABS sensors have different tooth count front to rear

OR

2) (more likely)  you've entered your Driven and Reference diameters wrong.    By my calculations, they should be (assuming you didn't make a typo) :

REAR (Driven) : 628mm

FRONT (Reference) : 678mm

(are you sure your rears are 30% profile??)

(Edited by Doughie at 10:58 am on Nov. 22, 2001)

It may be worth checking  manufacturer data as  this often differs from  calculations made using  side wall data.

If it is the rear wheel teeth, any  one hazard a guess before I count them!!!!

Given that the rear and front traces on Graham's car are not radically far out, i would think it's the wheel diameters that are a bit out.

A way to check the actual tyre circumference (and therefore calculate the diameter) is to use a metal tape to measure the centre-line of the tyre.  (you could take the wheel off the car but not necessary - you can just jack the wheel up to get it off the ground to get the tape underneath).    

i've given up guessing on ABS sensors....

Quote: from Doughie on 11:48 am on Nov. 22, 2001[br]Given that the rear and front traces on Graham's car are not radically far out, i would think it's the wheel diameters that are a bit out.

A way to check the actual tyre circumference (and therefore calculate the diameter) is to use a metal tape to measure the centre-line of the tyre.  (you could take the wheel off the car but not necessary - you can just jack the wheel up to get it off the ground to get the tape underneath).    

i've given up guessing on ABS sensors....

Why not mark the tyre and the ground under with a peice of chalk, roll the car 1 wheel revolution forward, mark the ground again and measure.......jacking the car up sounds like hard work too me :)

If this system can spot the difference in tyre tread  with in the  8mm to 2mm range, it is amazing. But when you think about it that  is 37 mm difference in circumference( on a 17 inch wheel) between a new and  a tire down to the 2mm bars.   That is just over 2% difference. Possibly enough to fool the system into perceiving slip earlier  or later than programmed.

Out of curiosity I took my car out this morning just to see if there were any adverse effects from my slight difference in front to rear wheelspeeds.

Unfortunately there is, if I try pulling quite tight turns the RLTC will cut in, even thought the car is definately NOT slipping. Whats pretty irritating about this is that it would seem to indicate that the system is so sensitive, I guess a good thing, that to keep it in its best working order you're going to have to check your front and rear rolling diameters every now and then to compensate for tread wear.

I was considering cheating by programming a calibration mode into the TC editor to automatically adjust either the front or rear diameter to compensate for this effect. i.e. get to a straight section of road, run the program, hit calibrate and drive down it for a few seconds. The system then comes up with revised tyre diameter parameters to bring the front and rear wheelspeeds in line with each other. On reflection, this probably isn't a good idea, more a cludge than a solution.

Graham

Graham / Phil

This situation is covered in the RL TC manual as supplied with the system.

There is a troubleshooting section, and one of the issues is exactly the one GRaham is describing.    The fix is also given.

By memory (my RLTC manual is at home) to INCREASE both of the following two parameters *by* approximately "150" :

"Min. Dif. in Wheelspeeds DRY"

"Min. Dif. in Wheelspeeds WET"

that should fix it.

I will check the manual tonight but i believe that's what you need to do.   My car does not cut out at all in tight turns.

I really don't think that you need to re-set your wheel diameters.   I would try jacking the car up & measuring them accurately with a metal tape measure.

Graham

just read your DAT file.

I can tell you one thing that is WAY wrong :

You have got your "Minimum RPM" set to 800 !!!!!!!!

Change it to 2000 or 2500.

this value is the minimum value, below which, cut does not happen.

Stock value is 2000rpm.     Martin Fahie and I are running 2500rpm.

this could well be your problem with the car cutting in tight corners.

(Your "Min.Dif. in wheelspeeds" seem fine).

(Edited by Doughie at 12:59 pm on Nov. 23, 2001)