Auto or Manual TT

jakewebster

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did I say I thought he made it up? I questioned how it happened, not whether it did happen. Now, as you seem to have the knowledge of all things, pray tell me how the hell that badly timed gear change can occur on an auto to such an extent as to rev so quickly that the back end slides out?

lol cheers CJ, well I suggest if you are 'confused' that you ask the guy himself rather than try and second guess it to be honest, a lot easier that way :)

if a car is balanced on (or near) the handling limit, anything can cause grip to be lost, especially anything 'not smooth' like a sudden gear change... that includes going up and down a gear. You never changed down a bit early and got a chirp out of the rears in the dry? Imagine that whilst cornering in wet or slippery conditions, it doesn't take a lot of imagination really does it?

You never changed down a bit early and got a chirp out of the rears in the dry? Imagine that whilst cornering in wet or slippery conditions, it doesn't take a lot of imagination really does it?

i have in my old UK manual car, but what i think CJ is saying (and i'd agree) is that the incidents described do not stem from someone changing down to a lower gear themselves, they stem from the car 'kicking down' and this simple doesn't happen without some serious right foot input. The auto box if left in drive will not change down at 'rear chirping' speeds, on slowing it will change down if you get really slow or if you select a lower gear. In plain 'drive' it will stay in overdrive or third round a roundabout, so, unlike the manual, it will not be in a good rev range for powering out of the roundabout so if you want to exit it quickly its best to select '1' or '2' yourself or else you risk the chance of it kicking down mid corner.

I had all manual supras before my last auto one and current auto aristo and i can honestly say that the auto box does not do random/unexpected things. It has its limitations and is not as involving as the manual, but i can honestly say its never annoyed me in its operation and certainly never given me the impression that it has a mind of its own...............

the incidents described do not stem from someone changing down to a lower gear themselves, they stem from the car 'kicking down' and this simple doesn't happen without some serious right foot input.

In plain 'drive' it will stay in overdrive or third round a roundabout

the auto box does not do random/unexpected things.

Exactly! This is what CJ and I have been saying, in this thread and other ones, where people are blaming the auto box for their driver error.

I should mention that I don't know the details of richardstock1's accident as I never saw a thread about it, but the other ones seem to be folks kidding themselves that it somehow wasn't their fault and that the gearbox kicked down all on its own without excessive/clumsy input on their part.

As Scooter and others have said, the auto simply does not do this.

I have never in 3.5 years of owneship had my autobox downshift on me without me putting my foot down.HOWEVER my previous "company car",a Mitsu Shogun was downshifting like posessed under no load what so ever on cold days.Like it had it's own mission in life to try and launch the engine out of the bay.So it's not unheard of that some auto boxes live their own life under the car.

I've had the back end come out only twice in my auto (except when done intentionally) and both times it was due to something on the road.

I have never, ever felt the box kick down going round a corner unless I've slowed considerably and then I'm in control so it's not an issue. I too believe that some workmen blame their tools.

I appreciate what you are all saying guys and I have no reason to question what your saying. No doubt the auto is a dependable bit of kit as you would expect from a well designed sports car.

We probably need some more input from Richard to work out what happened in this situation. All I'm saying is that I'm prepared to give him the credit that there is something in what he says.

Also what I'm saying is not about kick down at all, it's more about change up, and as you have said, if you always select the gear you want on cornering flat out then this won't happen either, but that is effectively using it like a manual. Maybe that isn't a bad thing, use it like an auto most of the time but when making swift progress use it in manual for safety.

The change up could be an issue if the car is just on the limit of slipage so you are backing off on the throttle a bit, you havn't used manual mode (maybe you thought you didn't need it but the road is more slippery than you expected) and then the thing changes up on you, I could see how this is less than desirable.

anyway, no point debating it to death wth speculation. Maybe Richard can fill us in on the details. Afterall his box might have had a genuine fault also or there may have been something else we havni't considered...

as and when i am cornering at high speeds, when playing i always use the manu mode as that is what it is there for, it avoids kickdown mid corner, and TBH if you are using auto mode while playing or for a track day then its gonna happen, use the manu mode to hold the power on, allowing you to accellerate progresively out of the bend.

I thought thats what the manu mode was desighned for:confused:

lol cheers CJ, well I suggest if you are 'confused' that you ask the guy himself rather than try and second guess it to be honest, a lot easier that way :)

if a car is balanced on (or near) the handling limit, anything can cause grip to be lost, especially anything 'not smooth' like a sudden gear change... that includes going up and down a gear. You never changed down a bit early and got a chirp out of the rears in the dry? Imagine that whilst cornering in wet or slippery conditions, it doesn't take a lot of imagination really does it?

I have to agree with CJ if you drive to the conditions this will never happen, kick down occurs when "as it it says" you kick the throttle down.....something you would'nt do in the wet

The change up could be an issue if the car is just on the limit of slipage so you are backing off on the throttle a bit, you havn't used manual mode (maybe you thought you didn't need it but the road is more slippery than you expected) and then the thing changes up on you, I could see how this is less than desirable.

yep i agree thats not an ideal scenario and could give an unwanted weight shift............

so just to clarify kick down, you need to physically push the pedal down in such a way that there is no way this could happen accidently?

and for flat out cornering you really ought to be in manu mode so you can hold the gear without risk of it changing up to the next gear as you feather the throttle...

This is exactly why I don't have a car anymore... my heavy right foot in an auto mid corner in the wet.

It's nothing to do with the box at all. I stupidly put my foot down without using MANU and it did what I wanted it to do... kick down and whack 300bhp to the rear wheels.

It's my own stupid fault for momentarily forgetting the conditions, because it was the worst possible time I could've done it. I didn't get a healthy boost of acceleration, instead the back end squirmed all over the place and up the back of a 206 in the other lane of the dual carriageway.

Auto box - excellent

Me - stupid

Does that help put it to bed? (If I get another Supra - RLTC is going on FIRST, because although I've learned from that particular mistake... you know)

yes that all makes sense lightwave,

essentially the auto box is good and does what it is designed to, but it's all to easy to be a bit heavy with the right foot (I'm sure everyone can relate to that) and unless you consciously use manu mode all the time and/or have rltc then there is a definite risk.

I would wonder if even the mighty rltc could save you under all conditions, like you say you didn't get massive acceleration, more that the cars balance was disturbed - not sure rltc will get you out of that every time, it's not magic after all.