The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or Manual TT

jakewebster

yes that all makes sense lightwave,

essentially the auto box is good and does what it is designed to, but it's all to easy to be a bit heavy with the right foot (I'm sure everyone can relate to that) and unless you consciously use manu mode all the time and/or have rltc then there is a definite risk.

I would wonder if even the mighty rltc could save you under all conditions, like you say you didn't get massive acceleration, more that the cars balance was disturbed - not sure rltc will get you out of that every time, it's not magic after all.

I'm sorry to keep on, but once again that last post suggests that the problem occured because it had an auto box. That is bollocks. The problem occured (as admitted by Lightwave) due to him having a heavy foot. As I read it, the car didnt change down a gear and then step out and that accident could have happened in an auto or a manual. Or are you saying the the cars balance only changes in auto cars?

Chilli, I know you are a staunch advocate of the manual variety but for goodness sake at least post up accurate and unbiased opinions rather than jumping on points and changing them to suit your particular bent.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes that all makes sense lightwave,

I would wonder if even the mighty rltc could save you under all conditions, like you say you didn't get massive acceleration, more that the cars balance was disturbed - not sure rltc will get you out of that every time, it's not magic after all.

Just to clarify the response I had from the car, it wasn't a balance problem - the revs jumped, the power went down and the rear wheels span like crazy. In the middle of a corner this caused the back end to come out as you'd expect, which I (over)compensated for about three times (right-left-right) before ending up somewhere I didn't want to be.

It's all my own fault, but after I'd whalloped the 206 which brought the car nicely under control (and sent hers flying off across the road - physics is evil sometimes) my traction control light came on which really pissed me off.

I'd fairly certain that the non magic RTLC would've been a lot quicker at avoiding the rear spin than me or the useless (I MEAN THAT) Toyota traction control.

Just to clarify the response I had from the car, it wasn't a balance problem - the revs jumped, the power went down and the rear wheels span like crazy. In the middle of a corner this caused the back end to come out as you'd expect, which I (over)compensated for about three times (right-left-right) before ending up somewhere I didn't want to be.

It's all my own fault, but after I'd whalloped the 206 which brought the car nicely under control (and sent hers flying off across the road - physics is evil sometimes) my traction control light came on which really pissed me off.

I'd fairly certain that the non magic RTLC would've been a lot quicker at avoiding the rear spin than me or the useless (I MEAN THAT) Toyota traction control.

I wasnt having a pop at you Alastair but this constant sniping at the auto gearbox really does my head in. And before anyone says I have the opposite view, I have owned and driven both versions and (now) much prefer the manual.

I have no particular 'bent' on this but it seems plain to me that the key difference is quite simple.

In a manual it is _always_ the same. In an auto you have to consciously think am I accelerating too hard that maybe it will kick down, should I now be using manu mode because I'm driving a bit quick or the conditions are a bit crap...

I'm not blaming the box, how can I, it does was it is designed to do and if you are fully used to it then of course you would drive it appropriately.

Given that no one wants to smash their car up but yet we have auto drivers how readily admit to being caught out - that speaks volumes enough that there really is nothing to argue about here :)

totally appreciate what you are saying. When I say balance I don't just mean sudden weight transfers I mean any step change in conditions that could cause near limit grip levels to be exceeded... if that makes sense

I have no particular 'bent' on this but it seems plain to me that the key difference is quite simple.

If I had more time (like hours) I could go back and copy every post you have made slagging off the auto's in favour of a manual.

In a manual it is _always_ the same. In an auto you have to consciously think am I accelerating too hard that maybe it will kick down, should I now be using manu mode because I'm driving a bit quick or the conditions are a bit crap...

Have you owned and driven one? Or is this just guesswork and supposition?

I'm not blaming the box, how can I, it does was it is designed to do and if you are fully used to it then of course you would drive it appropriately.

But you did by saying that essentially the auto box does what it supposed to do etc thereby implying the accident occured due to it being an auto.

Given that no one wants to smash their car up but yet we have auto drivers how readily admit to being caught out - that speaks volumes enough that there really is nothing to argue about here :)

Manual drivers do not have accidents do they?

...and re-reading my own post, I've not really clarified anything with my ambigious wording. I'll try one last time.

I put my foot down. The car responded as I expected - it kicked down. This caused the revs to jump up as normal, and a lot of power went to the rear wheels. When I said "the power went down" I meant it got laid down, not it dropped off.

So, foot down, kick down, power to rear = spin mid corner. My fault. Not the FAULT of the auto box, it just did what I told it to do.

Does that help CJ? I'm trying to tell it how it was.

lol GET OVER IT!

I have a personal preference like anyone else but I'm not slagging off the auto here, I was just stating some observations, can't you see the difference?

I think you've just become a bit touchy about it, take a deep breath and relax, it's really not worth it.

PS yes that clarifies it a lot lightwave :)

...and re-reading my own post, I've not really clarified anything with my ambigious wording. I'll try one last time.

I put my foot down. I car responded as I expected - it kicked down. This caused the revs to jump up as normal, and a lot of power went to the rear wheels. When I said "the power went down" I meant it got laid down, not it dropped off.

So, foot down, kick down, power to rear = spin mid corner. My fault. Not the FAULT of the auto box, it just did what I told it to do.

Does that help CJ? I'm trying to tell it how it was.

That's exactly as I would expect the car to behave my friend. Thank you for clarifying that.

lol GET OVER IT!

I have a personal preference like anyone else but I'm not slagging off the auto here, I was just stating some observations, can't you see the difference?

I think you've just become a bit touchy about it, take a deep breath and relax, it's really not worth it.

Read Lightwaves last post - then tell me there are problems with the auto box. End of! :D

Guest chiefvinso

well dont put your fut down in mid turn while its wet, it can happen in a manual as well. Choose the box that you like to drive and stop trying to get people to argue over which is best. For me the manual suits my driving needs. All the jokes flung around are just that and in both forms the cars go well.