The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air filter heat shields - Whats the point?

CJ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread is spooky, I was looking at exactly the same thing on Supraforums last night / this morning.

I was thinking of using the template on there and making 1 out of 1.8/2mm thick carbon for when I go single later.

Would anyone be interested in one?

This thread is spooky, I was looking at exactly the same thing on Supraforums last night / this morning.

I was thinking of using the template on there and making 1 out of 1.8/2mm thick carbon for when I go single later.

Would anyone be interested in one?

I'd be interested old chap :)

That TDI one looks like it could be good. If they'd only gone for the closed back.

I also like the idea of the MVP one where it keeps the feed from over the rad.

What I'll do is have a play over the next few weeks and see what I can come up with. If it ends up any good I'll post some pics up and see if we can work something out.

i had the tdi carbon air box thingy when i had twins and hks induction, almost totally stopped ANY induction sound, which is not my bag !

when i went single i made this heat shield, it follows the contours of the underside of the bonnet, to create a seal. took the shield up past the turbo, to prevent any heat soak.

ran a collector from the old intercooler duct (you cant see the funnel, but its the same size as the opening, to get all the air possible), linked to some 3" flexible alu tubing, which runs through the wing, same route as standard piping takes

DSC00132.JPG

DSC00133.JPG

DSC00134.JPG

DSC00135.JPG

Just had a look at mine with with the Apexi kit. Not as straight forward as I thought, cardboard, scissors and some sticky back plastic needed I think. Blue Peter moment coming. :D

Not sure about the open back on the TDI one though.

does it look a bit like this one Mark? http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358685&highlight=heat+shield+template

there's some nice instructions on there if you fancy making your own ;)

Oh yes Wez, had a go at it earlier. Got the cardboard bit made.

Managed to pick up the original intakes as well and making it fully enclosed. This will fit an Apexi induction kit.

Ally cutting tomorrow. :D

Hey this looks good! Let us know how you get on! :thumbs:

also this seems to be important for extra cold air....

`Cutting up extra holes for intake

I went and cut my air duct a little bit different, the air duct is taking the air from the front, under the headlight, but i wasnt happy with that,

so i cut it to take the air from underneath, with a bigger opening hole now.

I also cut a 3" hole that will be inside the air box, wich will give me cold air from underneath and from the opening hole from the front bumper bar.`

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/7409/makingairhole2wf.jpg

also this seems to be important for extra cold air....

`Cutting up extra holes for intake

I went and cut my air duct a little bit different, the air duct is taking the air from the front, under the headlight, but i wasnt happy with that,

so i cut it to take the air from underneath, with a bigger opening hole now.

I also cut a 3" hole that will be inside the air box, wich will give me cold air from underneath and from the opening hole from the front bumper bar.`

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/7409/makingairhole2wf.jpg

Seriously thinking about cutting that extra hole too.