The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just put Supra on a diet.

RICHARDA

A 12 stone passenger is going to weigh about 5% of the car's weight. That's like having 5% extra power when they're not there. Should notice that just about! Carbon bonnets are not a great weight saver BTW, the standard aluminium one doesn't weigh that much, and the carbon ones seem to be layed on fibreglass and weigh pretty much the same apparently.

Im with the Cheif on this one, I just cant see how you can tell, I cant, even if my fuel tank is empty/full, and the car has 1,2,3 or 4 passengers. In fact you have just made me realise that when Im in the Supra I dont notice whether the car is loaded or not like I have in the past in previous cars, ie fully loaded with 4 people climbing a hill, plant right foot, and not a lot happens, with the Supra the tubbies just start laying down boost, and its always a case of here we go..........

Unless you go Chris' route then I doubt you would ever notice it, you might see a fraction on a stop watch, but you wont be able to feel it.........

A 12 stone passenger is going to weigh about 5% of the car's weight. That's like having 5% extra power when they're not there. Should notice that just about! Carbon bonnets are not a great weight saver BTW, the standard aluminium one doesn't weigh that much, and the carbon ones seem to be layed on fibreglass and weigh pretty much the same apparently.

Any idea what a full fuel tank weighs ??

So my car weighs 1550kg, and with 4 people in it it would then weigh 1829kg, quite amazing really, you would have thought I should notice that, but then I doubt you would just excellerating and stopping, on the slide you might notice it, but them I dont tend to do that when fully loaded up, lol...

The carbon bonnet is worthwhile

well have to take exception here mate, your saying weight saving is a waste of time then come out with a statement like that have you ever taken an ally bonnet off they weigh as much as fag packet and i would guess the difference between a carbon one (including bonnet pins) and a stock one would 1-2 kg at most

Lucky enough you'd have a helluva job getting four full size adults into your Supra lol, so people weight can never be a problem. If weight was that sensitive the girlfriend weight threshold would go down from size 12 to size 6! lmao!. Now put all that stuff in Suprarash, and quit raping your car :D

well have to take exception here mate, your saying weight saving is a waste of time then come out with a statement like that have you ever taken an ally bonnet off they weigh as much as fag packet and i would guess the difference between a carbon one (including bonnet pins) and a stock one would 1-2 kg at most

There is me thinking these were true carbon bonnets, anyway I meant in conjunction with enough other mods to make a large KG saving.

Lucky enough you'd have a helluva job getting four full size adults into your Supra lol, so people weight can never be a problem. If weight was that sensitive the girlfriend weight threshold would go down from size 12 to size 6! lmao!. Now put all that stuff in Suprarash, and quit raping your car :D

What stuff :confused:

I was bored one day and started stripping loads of stuff out of car.

removed

rear seats

rear seatbelts and fixings

spare wheel and all trim and boot carpet.

front and rear speakers

double din cd/tv/radio

all audio cables

front tow hooks

air con rad and piping (air con pump needs to go)

charcoal canister and piping

front crash bar

ariel removed and motor out

car came with no active spoiler or cruise control so less weight there.

thats all i can think of from top of head.the stereo was a saving of 10kg

i once had 4 passengers in supra and i did not know what was wrong with car was slow as hell.soon as the 2 rear passengers were out you could tell the difference in speed.

there is a big weight reduction thread on supraforums if you a member.good read.suppose if you can help to make it a bit quicker it has to be good.seeing a supra getting beat by a smaller car is crap.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104866&page=1&pp=25&highlight=weight+reduction

The other thing not picked up about the weight saving is £ for £ it is cheaper than tuning the car.

And weight is an important factor, ask Rays the roof.

He went from 14 to 13.7 by removing the sound install, and the rear seats and passenger seat, about 45 kg worth.

• 1 year later...

Of course weight saving helps. It's all about power to weight ratio. Do you think that a lotus elise would be as good a car if it weighed as much as the supra? I stripped my car out when it went for a respray and the difference was amazing. On the airfield where I work I can just about hit 140 but when it was stripped out I could hit 150 before having to slow for the bend.

Interesting stuff..

74 KG's is what I would save if I replace the two front seats with 9K Cobra ones and also took out the back seats...

Would you really notice this weight saving in acceleration etc?

the front drivers seat weighs 24kg and the passenger 18kg, i have cobra imolas which weigh about 6kg each but dont forget you then need side mounts and sub frames, all in and a lot of aluminium later i got the all up weight of the imolas to 14kg each, so the overall saving was only 14kg from swapping the front seats

Dont think you need as much braking force to stop a lighter car and it should go round corners better :D

I have all my rear stripped out but when I did RAF Marham I had a 12.5 stone mate with me on every lap so cant really compare.

Guest supraimpose
Any idea what a full fuel tank weighs ??

Ok so this was asked a year ago, but I was interested to know the anwser. A little google and a calculator tells me that the fuel in a full 70L J-spec tank weighs in at 51.6Kg, and in an 80L UK weighs 59.0Kg

So if you can't tell the difference in performance between a full tank and an empty one, then you would need a weight reduction of more than 60Kg to have any noticable improvement.

youd notice it more in braking than acceleration really. the braking distances improve significantly when you lighten the car. Meaning you can brake later and go faster aroundtrack. I noticed this mainly when i had my GT4 before the supra. I dont think youd notice a major difference over the 1/4 but around the track youd definitely get an improvement in times

Ok so this was asked a year ago, but I was interested to know the anwser. A little google and a calculator tells me that the fuel in a full 70L J-spec tank weighs in at 51.6Kg, and in an 80L UK weighs 59.0Kg

So if you can't tell the difference in performance between a full tank and an empty one, then you would need a weight reduction of more than 60Kg to have any noticable improvement.

120 pounds plus is a BIG weight saving, i spend my working life trying to reduce weights by a few kilos, 60kg is a very worthwhile saving, and you should be able to feel and measure the difference.