Supra v Type R

Guest awesome

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest awesome
civic type r looks like it has hydrocephalus(very enlarged forehead) and looks like a shopping trolley or a car to do the shopping in, and as people say you see them how many times a day.

Ha ha - when it comes to doing the shopping the CTR blows the Supra away! Plenty of space in the boot, unlike my mates twin turbo soop which you would be lucky to fit one can of soup in! :p

Ha ha - when it comes to doing the shopping the CTR blows the Supra away! Plenty of space in the boot, unlike my mates twin turbo soop which you would be lucky to fit one can of soup in! :p

I got a large computer desk in the back of mine ;) although it was flat packed I bet you would struggle in the Honda with something of the same length.

But I do like the CTR's also by far the smartest of the "Hot hatches" In my opinion

Guest awesome
you stick to shopping then, we'll stick to driving :D

Heh heh! Thats more like the response I expected from the Supra forum! Thought I would get a flaming when I posted the vid but actually had some decent replies. You should be pleased that the Supra is one of those cars that us slower driving Jap fans use as a yardstick for speed! I was well chuffed when I saw a CTR owning a Soop but then thats cause I know how bloody fast the Supra is! My mates twin turbo soop shifts like nothing i have ever seen and I have a lot of respect for them as im sure all CTR owners do. As has been said - pound for pound there are not many cars that could even stay with a Soop! Was well tempted to get one but circumstances dictate i needed a newer car with warranty and a back seat which is why I went for the CTR and im well pleased with it. Looking forward to seeing more Supras at the Jap Fest. :)

If it was the turbo version and the bonnet i assum witht he euro version is standard, then where are the dildos? its got a stock bumper, but no dildos, i know jap supes dont have them but they dont have the bonnet scoop either, so if this car came with a boonet scoop standard, i.e twin turbo model then where are the dildos?

also i hear no spool up what so ever?

mmmm

hehe well I didn't want to dissapoint you. As it happens I don't look down on the CTR, I think it does a good job for what it is :)

also nice to hear your enthusiastic words about the supra, and keeping up with a well sorted supra in any car is a good achievement lol

Guest awesome
I got a large computer desk in the back of mine ;) although it was flat packed I bet you would struggle in the Honda with something of the same length.

But I do like the CTR's also by far the smartest of the "Hot hatches" In my opinion

Fair play mate, how on earth did you manage that!!! To be fair though the Soop is not really designed for carrying stuff! What amazes me about them is that even models that are 10 years old still look awesome - the shape is beautiful and obviously the performance speaks for itself!

What attracted me to the CTR rather than other hot hatches was the fact it redlines at 9000rpm and I do like the VTEC kick and 6 speed gearbox. Its more of a drivers car than the other hatches around, even though speed wise it has been equalled by many new models. Plus the engine is built to thrash - you have to really give it some to get the best out of it and it gets better the harder and faster you drive it!

Guest awesome
hehe well I didn't want to dissapoint you. As it happens I don't look down on the CTR, I think it does a good job for what it is :)

also nice to hear your enthusiastic words about the supra, and keeping up with a well sorted supra in any car is a good achievement lol

Cheers dude - yeah im a big Supra fan, every time I pop round my mates house I find myself staring at it in the drive longingly! Think its the fact that although it looks bloody good you also know the legendary power it commands - nice!

I had a CTR for an extended test drive before the supe, was quite impressed, one of the nicest hot hatch 'new' cars i've driven for a long time. The interioir seemed pretty well made and pretty comfy, Ride was good, steering nice and driect and not bad grip for fwd. The only thing I didn't like was the constant gear changes to keep it in the power range... guess I've gotten too used to having lazy large CC engines!

If you want to see a CTR driven properly, have a search for the vid of Nicolas Kiesa (F1 test driver and ex Supra owner) driving one round a track.

Guest awesome
I had a CTR for an extended test drive before the supe, was quite impressed, one of the nicest hot hatch 'new' cars i've driven for a long time. The interioir seemed pretty well made and pretty comfy, Ride was good, steering nice and driect and not bad grip for fwd. The only thing I didn't like was the constant gear changes to keep it in the power range... guess I've gotten too used to having lazy large CC engines!

If you want to see a CTR driven properly, have a search for the vid of Nicolas Kiesa (F1 test driver and ex Supra owner) driving one round a track.

Valid points my friend. The CTR is not very torquey in the low revs when compared to similar hatches - definitely not a lazy drivers car, esp if you are used to having a turbo or 2! You need to be at 5800rpm for VTEC to cut in which takes a lot of skill to keep it in the zone - but also a lot of fun! Other main gripe is that the steering lacks feel which I have not found to be a problem although ive not taken it on track yet. Definitely interested in seeing that vid tho, will do a search now.

Fair play mate, how on earth did you manage that!!! To be fair though the Soop is not really designed for carrying stuff! What amazes me about them is that even models that are 10 years old still look awesome - the shape is beautiful and obviously the performance speaks for itself!

What attracted me to the CTR rather than other hot hatches was the fact it redlines at 9000rpm and I do like the VTEC kick and 6 speed gearbox. Its more of a drivers car than the other hatches around, even though speed wise it has been equalled by many new models. Plus the engine is built to thrash - you have to really give it some to get the best out of it and it gets better the harder and faster you drive it!

Mate, it doesnt red line at 9000!! it redlines at 8000 if im not mistaken, then goes to about 8200, before the limiter kicks in!

I know what you mean about the VTEC kick tho, before my supra i owned a colt Cyborg - 1.6 MIVEC (mivec is mitubishi's VTEC equivelent), that redlined at 8200 then went to 8500 before the limiter. MIVEC engaged at 5200RPM. only fast in the MIVEC range but thats what its supposed to be. Nice easy everyday, good mileage driving keeping below 5K, then when you nail it into MIVEC you get your speed. Nothing nicer than the screem of a high reving engine, well, apart from the lazy pur of a supra!!

Guest awesome
Mate, it doesnt red line at 9000!! it redlines at 8000 if im not mistaken, then goes to about 8200, before the limiter kicks in!

I know what you mean about the VTEC kick tho, before my supra i owned a colt Cyborg - 1.6 MIVEC (mivec is mitubishi's VTEC equivelent), that redlined at 8200 then went to 8500 before the limiter. MIVEC engaged at 5200RPM. only fast in the MIVEC range but thats what its supposed to be. Nice easy everyday, good mileage driving keeping below 5K, then when you nail it into MIVEC you get your speed. Nothing nicer than the screem of a high reving engine, well, apart from the lazy pur of a supra!!

My bad - I believe it actually redlines at 8200rpm then limiter kicks in at about 8600rpm! Your dead right tho about the drive description. Hmmm, lazy pur of Supra until you need to blow someone away, then its more like a roaring lion!

Guest Flat4_ire
ive raced a few standard type Rs now and its almost pointless!

arent u great! nobody thinks a standard honda will beat a supra tt

Guest awesome
arent u great! nobody thinks a standard honda will beat a supra tt

Ha ha when I see a Supra charging up behind I just pull over and let em past! No point getting blown away unless you need to!

Guest awesome
CTR's FWD, isn't it? That amount of power through the front wheels would scare me silly! :scared:

They're nice hatches, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to a FWD now. RWD is just too much fun.....

Yep fwd it is. I know what you mean about the power through the front wheels, gotta go real easy in the wet as theres no traction control either! Took an S2000 out last weekend, that was rear wheel drive and it rocked. Would you prefer your rwd to a 4wd like an evo 8 or similar mate?

Guest Flat4_ire
Yep fwd it is. I know what you mean about the power through the front wheels, gotta go real easy in the wet as theres no traction control either! Took an S2000 out last weekend, that was rear wheel drive and it rocked. Would you prefer your rwd to a 4wd like an evo 8 or similar mate?

oh course he would,most of these guys wud chose their rwd supra over anything!! pure snobs! :p

Guest dee_rz

heres my take, i have owned 2 ctr's one was standard and the other had 326.6 bhp @ flywheel here she is against a skyline at pod at the time it was the second quickest ctr in the uk privateer owned

, this was with a sliping clutch if you listen you can hear :D the quickest it went was 13.6@106 just didn't have the torque of the supra despite weighing less striped the lot too, in twistys, straights the supra is better, on low boost 0.8 bar my supra is from a 0-half a mile point about 12-14mph quicker, the supra is quicker, i'm still on the ctr forum now too and no lots of them on there including the quickest ctr (guy @ cpl racing 12.4@124) by the way my supra is only mildly modded really around 400ish bhp.

loved my ctr was class leading but in terms of is is close to a supra ....nop supra is a super car, you'll love the ctr i enjoyed 2years great ownership of 2 ctr's, if you ever think of getting a supra dispite the drops in price (i payed about 16k for my ctr and 16k for supra) i'm telling you now get ready for a difference in running cost it cost alot more than the ctr to run and own etc in general and yep it's over 10 years old now the ctr won't ever retain it's value like the supra has over the years :) enjoy your car bud it's a great one, my girlfriend is either getting a ctr or s2000 on recomendation from me in september :)

I've driven a WRX Scooby and an Evo 7 and enjoyed it, but found that to feel like you're driving it to your limit, you really have to push it to crazy speeds round bends. I prefer being able to drive the Supra on the limit of it's grip (or, more usually, the limit of my driving ability!), and doing it at speeds where I know I can handle it if it gets out of shape. It feels like much more of a challenging, involving drive than a scooby in that sort of situation.

Unfortunately, it's those bumpy back roads that are the ones where you know the cameras aren't watching and you can really hammer them in a 4wd. The Supra is better on a more open A road, but that's when you have to be careful about who might be watching......

oh course he would,most of these guys wud chose their rwd supra over anything!! pure snobs! :p

hehe - as I said - I think it just feels like a more involving drive than a 4WD, but that's just me - I'm not going to diss Scoobys, mate - they're just a different kind of car. A friend of mine has a P1, and he can scare the cr*p out of me! From a standing start, in the rain or on the back roads, he'll skin me every time....... mind you, he's a damn sight better driver than I am too......

Guest awesome
heres my take, i have owned 2 ctr's one was standard and the other had 326.6 bhp @ flywheel here she is against a skyline at pod at the time it was the second quickest ctr in the uk privateer owned

, this was with a sliping clutch if you listen you can hear :D the quickest it went was 13.6@106 just didn't have the torque of the supra despite weighing less striped the lot too, in twistys, straights the supra is better, on low boost 0.8 bar my supra is from a 0-half a mile point about 12-14mph quicker, the supra is quicker, i'm still on the ctr forum now too and no lots of them on there including the quickest ctr (guy @ cpl racing 12.4@124) by the way my supra is only mildly modded really around 400ish bhp.

loved my ctr was class leading but in terms of is is close to a supra ....nop supra is a super car, you'll love the ctr i enjoyed 2years great ownership of 2 ctr's, if you ever think of getting a supra dispite the drops in price (i payed about 16k for my ctr and 16k for supra) i'm telling you now get ready for a difference in running cost it cost alot more than the ctr to run and own etc in general and yep it's over 10 years old now the ctr won't ever retain it's value like the supra has over the years :) enjoy your car bud it's a great one, my girlfriend is either getting a ctr or s2000 on recomendation from me in september :)

Cheers for the info mate - nice CTR there! Nice to see an that ex CTR owners have taste moving up to a soop! What did you think of the turbo charged beast in the vid? One of the major reasons I had to buy CTR and not soop was the running costs etc. One day tho! Glad to hear you are still on the forum too mate, will look out for ya.