The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Installing A Fan On My Tranny Coolers

terribleturner

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some fans and the new thermostats that i will try and put on tomorrow. They fit perfect between the fmic and the auto coolers. Have even decided to get a fan for the oil cooler too now :D

james these look suspiciously like cabinet cooling fans are you sure they'll handle getting piss wet through

james these look suspiciously like cabinet cooling fans are you sure they'll handle getting piss wet through

True these ae not sealed units. and certainly will not move enough air for a tranny cooler.

Just take a look at teh CFM rating. The Spal 7.5 we sell moved 520CFM.

Not trying to sell anything, just dont want to anyone to burn their tranny (vestive)

True these ae not sealed units. and certainly will not move enough air for a tranny cooler.

Just take a look at teh CFM rating. The Spal 7.5 we sell moved 520CFM.

Not trying to sell anything, just dont want to anyone to burn their tranny (vestive)

good point here mate i used to use a lot of these cabinet fans in a previous job and the air they move is piss poor compared to a spal, please note i have edited the post where i quoted stat part number from RS this was for a normaly closed contact (wrong) should have been normaly open, the number in the thread now is for a 75 degree stat i have lost the packet for the 70 degree one but am sure i can get the number if anyone wants it

Edited by paul mac
tidy up of info (see edit history)

They are splash proof fans and are good for 169.9cu.m/h. Would be nicer to have more air going through but should be fine we these puppies :D plus got them for free and couldn't find an others. May have another search around though quickly.

I hope you are ducting all that as putting all that infront of your RAD is not doing much for water cooling.

Spent many late nights trying to find positions for my coolers. Really didn't want to steel any cold (fmic warm) airflow from the rad so squeezed two in the nearside matching my Bomex intakes. I use the offside flow for an external mount for my K&N and below that I have ducted feed to cool the compessor hsg.-

SANY0038 (Large).JPG

SANY0048 (Large).JPG

SANY0045 (Large).JPG

Spent many late nights trying to find positions for my coolers. Really didn't want to steel any cold (fmic warm) airflow from the rad so squeezed two in the nearside matching my Bomex intakes. I use the offside flow for an external mount for my K&N and below that I have ducted feed to cool the compessor hsg.-

That's the way to do it. If I had my way, anything over 400bhp would have the condenser removed too. Unless your RAD is in its top 20% of its life, it needs all teh help it can get at high BHP. As we ALL know, heat kills...

See i'd like to have put the auto coolers where you have your ducting but they're just not gonna fit. Im better of ducting the air there to the rad. I'll just have to get the single on and then see what's what and adjust the best i can :(

• 9 months later...

Bit of a resurection, i know...

Im looking at installing a fan and thermostatic switch to my tranny cooler. PaulMac recomends fitting the thermo switch to the outside of the hot side of the tranny cooler. Hows this fixed on? Just literally bolted to it? Will wind chill or ambient temp not affect the operating parameters of the switch? ie: at 100 mph, would the wind chill cool the termostat enough so as not to engage the fan?

Bit of a resurection, i know...

Im looking at installing a fan and thermostatic switch to my tranny cooler. PaulMac recomends fitting the thermo switch to the outside of the hot side of the tranny cooler. Hows this fixed on? Just literally bolted to it? Will wind chill or ambient temp not affect the operating parameters of the switch? ie: at 100 mph, would the wind chill cool the termostat enough so as not to engage the fan?

Rob i first stripped the paint from the area of the cooler the stat was going and mounted it with heat transfer paste and cable ties simple as that, i had to play about a bit with them as there were differences between the actuall oil temp and the switching point for the stat, i settled on a 60 degree stat (RS part number 331-540 cost about £2.50) this gave an actuall switching point of 80 degrees, its all been on nearly a year and works great, the first thing you really need is a tranny temp gauge so you know whats happening, wind chill is not an issue as the switch is mounted outside the ducting and besides at 100mph there will be so much air moving through the cooler you will not need the fan, good ducting is absolutely essential i did mine with 1mm sheet ally and foil ducting tape, sat in traffic is when the fan comes on and again this must be ducted.

You can get thermostats that will go direct in the oil flow but the ones i looked at were capillary type ones which are a bit slow to react and the capillary tube itself is delicate and prone to snaping with vibration, pic is my first cooler the second was mounted at an angle to use the duct under the indicator, i could try and get a pic underneith showing the stat if you want one, hope all this helps

front 077.jpg

Paul, what size (ID) pipe and what spec unions (-6?, 1/2BSP? etc) did you use on the cooler set-up? Any info much appreciated.:)

Cheers.

used 10mm ID pipe all the way through this is the size of the steel pipes coming off the cooler so no point using anything bigger, the pipes you see on the pic are what came with the cooler they are nothing special and had to be reduced down, make sure the hose you get is up to the job get the supplier to check its spec with you and dont be bullsh*ted that "yeah mate that will be fine", i got mine from the local motorsport shop (road & stage, morecambe) it is rated for oil and (i think) up to 130 C, pic is pocket for temp sensor, just a bog standard 1/2" black iron tee (plumbers merchant) with 10mm hose tails, hope this is of help