The mkiv Supra Owners Club

G'dam Hose Pipe Ban

pistonbroke

I was having a argument on another forum with somoene who works for a water company, of course I was just becoming very annoying in conjunction with my car. She said "If anyone still feels that they should be able to wash stupid cars with a hosepipe then feel free, but I hope they get shopped by their neighbours and fined (up to £1000)", to which I said "Even if I have to go to the tanker to fill my bucket for my car, its being washed, over and over, got summer events coming up and my car is being washed.....and if all else fails, then I'll go and bulk buy and wash her in some Evian bottled water.........there has never been a day where no expense has been spared on that car and this summer aint changing......:p

She wasnt very impressed with me, but I was having fun winding her up......:D

Taken from Thames Valley Water:

Can I still top-up my fish pond / hot tub / swimming pool?

Yes, there are no restrictions on these activities.

:protest:

The golf course near where I live is still watering their greens. Aren't they included in the ban?

The current water restrictions ban the use of hosepipes or sprinklers for domestic use. If the drought situation continues we may apply to the Government for further restrictions on non-essential use.

I bet Golf clubs pay business rates so, they don't want to piss them off!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I cleaned my car for the first time during this ban and counted the number of ltrs I used.

I normally use the following on a weekly basis:

1 x Rinse with hose to get crap off

2 x 10ltrs for washing the whole car - while rinsing from time to time with hose

1 x rinse with hose

1 x rinse with hose at low speed (one jet, like a tap and bead the water off)

wipe down - Job done in ~1.5hrs

I use as little as possible from the hose to get the job done otherwise I flood my garage so, can gauge how much I have used.

This week I used the following:

20 x 10ltrs to rinse the crap off the car - Watering Can with a sprinkler attachment on the end.

4 x 10ltrs for washing the car

80 x 10ltrs for rinsing during washing and rinsing at the end.

My garage was partially flooded = I used more water to get the same job done! which, is just stupid as A) It costs me more (meter) and B) It does not save water!! not to mention double the amount of time it takes.

That's 40ltrs to wash and 100ltrs to rinse and 3hrs to do!

and we still see stuff like this in the press:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/berkshire/4892522.stm

and

http://www.thames-water.com/UK/region/en_gb/content//News/News_001119.jsp?SECT=Section_Homepage_000431

:thumbdown:

must admit I do find it anoying! Without a doubt I use less water with a quick sprinkle with a hose pipe than to use buckets of water to do it. Sometimes I don't care but been feeling the beedy eyes of nosey neighbours lately (one already moaned about the loud exhaust grrrr) so I fill a bucket from a hose (which is now being used like a tap extension) around the side where no one car see, is a PITA though. I like to clean the car regularly, just a quick wash to get the crap off of it now takes longer and is more wasteful than ever before.

basicaly all water gets recycled naturaly,

it evaporates ( even from gardens ) and re-enters the atmosphere and we get it back as either rain or simple humidity.

living oooop north like i do we dont often get hosepipe bans and i feel sorry for the fella whos had one since june last year !

but im sure it would be easy to wash yer car,.

if you have a shower just put a bucket or 2 in with you :)

or have a bath - but scoop the water out of the bath "before" you get in ;)

easy peazy :p

I'm gonna invest in another couple of buckets so I can leave the tap running and keep swapping them so I've got a constant supply of water :)

I'll be using twice as much as with my pressure washer but f*ck 'em:d

Crazy that I'm able to use a pressure washer to clean the drive or patio but not to clean a 'private' car????????? How's that work then?

Paul

My water! I paid for it so I'll do what I bloody well like with it!! What really grips my shit is that the ban doesn't apply to those filling up their swimming pools FFS!!!!
took the words out of my mouth pal. i just ignore it too. mind you i get to clean the car anytime where i work at the firestation parttime there is all the gear for doing the fire engines waxes/shampoos etc. and we get paid £11 an hour for cleaning our cars. great hey

I agree the ban on hosepipe use is daft.

But you are allowed to fill water butts, so........

Fill your water butt with water from a hose, connect your pressure washer to the water butt (as most of them suck almost as well as they blow) and hey presto off you go. Just remember not to have the hose filling the water butt whist you are pressure washing.

Nothing illegal in that, you are using stored water (arent you).

Are you sure that you can feed a pressure washer from a water butt?

Is that tiny pressure enough?

If so, it's an interesting concept, as I've got two water butts at the front.

Yeah you can run them off water butts, crossed my mind too. What about filling the bath up and running a hose to it? Having said that couldn't you just run a hose off a bathroom tap and sya that you are taking it from old bath water:). Wouldn't have thought that they have a right to come in to a private house to find out?

Paul

I've done it before when I ran out of hose length. They will be a little down on power as it needs to suck along whatever hose length you habe between butt and pressure washer.

Anyway I have just learned from my local paper that nearest reservoir is FULL.

So why the ban? Well it seems that we use water and it empties the reservoir.

Time for a bigger one I feel.