The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Doing the switchable TTC conversion on a auto

lui

Hey - If you want to save fuel, why not just pull all your vac hoses off and completely disable the turbos!

:rolleyes:

erm hey why would i want to do that? i also want my turbos to be working when i plant my foot. im sure with the method you just suggested it would not be possible to do that as i will have to stop the car and re-attach the hoses removed. But thank you so much for your advice. very helpful.

Were not in school are we? where in the post did i state i want more fuel with no turbos at at all?

mate it dont mean jack shit so according to you big singles which have boost coming in late are pointless too? have you had ttc? well you would notice that when sprinting down a road or motorways you'll always be above 4k RPM, always in full boost.

Here's a nice comparison- and I'm using Terry's car which has a fecking fantastic spool up for a single and I could sing it's praises until the earth floods and the hosepipe ban lifts!

vs a (sick) supercharged Holden HSV:

http://www.sussexcarz.com/4images/data/media/18/Alternatorat36v600pix.jpg

Just look at the bottom end and midrange of the chevy unit- that car will simply pull and pull even from idle in 6th, now while Terry's car also pulls like Joey Tribiani from Friends, it doesn't pull like this at low rpms.

I certainly see your point, and have noted that you aren't doing this to gain bhp/tq- but you lose a massive amount of bottom end- Nick's has been mapped yet look at the graph below 3000rpm! hell my Hyundai Getz 1.3 would give that a run for it's money from idle to 2500rpm! Nick does have a nice midrange though. Just a thought- if you are doing this to save spondoolies on the motion lotion- isn't that idea being killed by getting an emanage mapped to run it? That ain't cheap.

I certainly see your point, and have noted that you aren't doing this to gain bhp/tq- but you lose a massive amount of bottom end- Nick's has been mapped yet look at the graph below 3000rpm! hell my Hyundai Getz 1.3 would give that a run for it's money from idle to 2500rpm! Nick does have a nice midrange though. Just a thought- if you are doing this to save spondoolies on the motion lotion- isn't that idea being killed by getting an emanage mapped to run it? That ain't cheap.

Valid point Gaz, But its just the kick you get when they both come online parallel, its like marmite mate, you would either love this mod or totaly hate it.

I see your point with no boost below 3k etc and whats the point? but for me i dont care about that, its just when the boost comes in with the extra noise...its awsome.

Mine was not converted to save money (mine is mainly urban driving, so I'm lucky if I get double figure mpg anyway :() but to give more mid range and smoother power delivery. I didn't like the unpredictability of the sequential set up when cornering, too easy to get caught out on the exit, by a sudden surge in power as the 2nd turbo came on line, which I'm sure has been the cause of more than one Supra write off.

Your Hyundai may well beat me for the first few metres off the line and if I was into traffic light racing, perhaps the sequential set up would be better. Although how often when you are wanting to drive fast, is your engine doing less than 3000rpm, mid range is where I gain, which is exactly where I want the power/torque.

Mine was not converted to save money (mine is mainly urban driving, so I'm lucky if I get double figure mpg anyway :() but to give more mid range and smoother power delivery. I didn't like the unpredictability of the sequential set up when cornering, too easy to get caught out on the exit, by a sudden surge in power as the 2nd turbo came on line, which I'm sure has been the cause of more than one Supra write off.

Your Hyundai may well beat me for the first few metres off the line and if I was into traffic light racing, perhaps the sequential set up would be better. Although how often when you are wanting to drive fast, is your engine doing less than 3000rpm, mid range is where I gain, which is exactly where I want the power/torque.

I can certainly see where you gain, and it's probably a very rewarding drive with the manual box if you are willing to put the effort in, but for me the loss of the low down power is too much of a sacrifice, and yes I spend a fair bit of time below 3k. (btw I love the bodykit on your profile).

I toyed with the ETTC as I have a fields harness, so it was only a quick bit or wiring from the guide on MKIV.com. I only did it as I was wondering what it would be like with a single conversion.

Most of this has been said before

MPG - slightly better

noise - much louder at low revs - the whole car vibrates, personallya little too loud for my tastes especially on a long drive.

Spool - slower, almost boggy initially, but then you do get a nice kick which is more linear, and none of the 3500-4000rpm hesitation, personally I prefer that.

Generally you have to drive the car a little more, on my manual I would work the gears more to keep it on the boil with the ETTC on parallel.

One more thing - I did notice boost spiking on wide open throtle in 5th or 6th, I asked Nic about it and he said that the parallel setup is prone to bost spiking, so keep an eye on the boost gauge!

James