The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trac light flashing

Ian C

Hi all.  My car has it's new engine in, and it runs, etc., hurrah hurrah hurrah!  But there are a couple of things the garage asked me about:

1.  The trac slip cont light is flashing - why, and how do I stop it?

2.  The downpipe securing bracket is broken (which I read as - they broke it :) ) - if Toyota don't supply them who does?

Not looking forward to a 500 mile oil-change!

Good to here the car is running  again.

The oil change is not as  bad as  people say.

With the  trac light - I suggest  you check the  fuse, main fuse box, and / or the  relay in the small black box in front  of you off side front strut turret. Check the  wires have not been pulled in the box. I think Alex  had a problem related to a pulled connection.

Phil, My problem with the TRAC light flashing only happens after I stop with the engine diag lights on!.... which come on after I hit about 70 mph.

So my problem is to do with the Speed Signal from what Ian told me on the phonr I believe his problem is not the same, as it starts as soon as you fire the engine up.

The fix for mine should be to replace the ODO and Speedo.

Ian, I think all the possibilities have been covered. Fuse, throttle body connection, re-set the ecu (maybe they plugged the trac in after they brought the ECU on line?) etc etc

Quote: from Phil Wall on 8:03 pm on Dec. 3, 2001[br]Good to here the car is running  again.

The oil change is not as  bad as  people say.

With the  trac light - I suggest  you check the  fuse, main fuse box, and / or the  relay in the small black box in front  of you off side front strut turret. Check the  wires have not been pulled in the box. I think Alex  had a problem related to a pulled connection.

Thanks for that - I'll pass that info on to the garage, see what they can see.  I meant I wasn't looking forward to ditching my oil after only 500 miles not the actual oil change itself :)

-Ian

Quote: from branners on 9:30 pm on Dec. 3, 2001[br]other things which cause that light to flash include a problem with the butterfly in the manifold and the trac ECU being unplugged...

Good to have your car back to life, but for how long can you keep the power as it is...?

JB

I don't know which way to take that comment, so I'll answer both:

1 - you mean, how long can I run it at the previous power levels before it explodes again.  Answer = I'm not going to!  I'll detune the boost down as far as it will go, and that's only after getting the fuelling and boost control checked out.  I need to rebuild my confidence in the car and it's setup before I can relax.

2 - you mean, how long can I put up with a detuned car on j-spec turbos.  Answer = until my bank balance recovers :)  I think it will still be stupidly fast, like all Supras!  I'll be recovering the hybrids and checking them for damage, and if they are OK even I may be able to eventually refit them (being a mkIII gasketeer I have some mechanical experience...) but it's mostly down to money and confidence in increasing the power of the engine again...

-Ian

I meant number 2....

I didnt want to say 'how long can you keep it stock' cos I wasnt sure if it was going to be stock once they glued it all back together.

If it helps, if you find the hybrid internals are shot then Leon can probably get his turbo guy to rebuild them at a reasonable cost.

JB

Mine suffered the flashing trac con light when the HUD was accidentally switched off. Annoyingly this seemed to disable all the devices in the chain after it, but it almost certainly was speed signal related. Which I think we'd already established, but just to add another take on it ;)

Since you're rebuilding your turbos anyway why not innovate a bit, i'm thinking sequential twins (mmmmmm, quad turbos) :) Might get round some of those lag problems.

While i've got my NA back at the moment (and since the battery died care of our friends at IJC) I noticed there's LOADS of room in the engine bay compared to the TT (really sherlock?). I'd guess plenty more room than than a TT with the turbos removed. Maybe they'd make a better host to a Very large elaborate turbo conversion?

My dashboard did a pretty good impression of Christmas tree lights just after I had put an alarm system on it recently.

My trac light started flashing on the slightest wheel slip, the O/D light flashed as soon as it started moving forward and when I got to 70ish the main warning light and engine warning light illuminated. It all cleared when the ignition was switched off and on, then it started all over again...

Anyway, after horrible expensive thoughts that I'd destroyed something whilst playing with the electrics, I took the top section of the dash off and the Odo plug virtually fell out. Clipped it back properly this time and everything works fine now.

Even though the Odo was working during all these strange goings on, it just shows that some things can be so simple.

I Hope yours is as simple Ian.