The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Faster car as good looking with better MPG then supra nasp?

cookci

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its not slow it just feels it

i think it'd feel quite reasonable in a 6 speed manual instead!

my circumstances are probably going to change... its a bit pointless keeping the supra really as id be spending most of my extra wage increase on petrol!:(

How long have you had your car? You only joined here a couple of months ago.. not having a go at you but I cant understand it when people buy a car like this then complain about the speed (picks an NA) and then the fuel economy (Supras in general arnt great).

Like John says most diesels have decent pickup these days. Go grab a yaris :D

The lotus elise is supposed to be a very economical motor. At legal speeds its fantastically fast.

Wishbones are considered a consumeable, bushes need replacing fairly regularly, and if a clamshell cracks in a parking ding, then it's ££££'s to fix. They are cheap to run if you do 5k a year though.

Speaking of supra mpg, I did a more precise measurement yesterday.

Did a tankful of *light* motorway driving. Filled to the brim before and afterwards. Right after an ECU reset (and two restarts)

25mpg on Tesco99

Didn't go over 100mph on the clocks, I tried to treat 90 as an absolute maximum. Went on-boost just a handful of times. 99% of time closed-loop. Only twice did it go open loop and that was for a second or two.It was brutal:taped:

There was some slow traffic involved, some start-stop as well.

In the summer under identical conditions I would expect this to go up to 27- 28mpg ---30mpg max.

But that's driving the supra like a hearse

i filled my TT to the brim and i mean to the brim, drove from edinburgh to rotherham and had just under half a tank left, sat with cruise on at 65 mph all the way apart from the M1 and A1 split at leeds where i decided to floor it on the A1 route, and the reason i drove so low is because i picked the supra up in edinburgh that day and did not want to have a supra for one day!

very impressed,with that tank i got just over 400 miles out of it, now i am down to earth and getting about 250 miles from a full tank if i am lucky

The elise is about power to weight. It weighs nothing and so doesn't need heaps of power/big engine etc, just the 1.8 k-series lump so mid 30's mpg is guaranteed. 0-60 is 5.5ish and its very quick up to 100 and handles like a dream. And lets be honest, in this overcrowded country now its got it all pretty much where it counts. Only prob for me is its too basic as a daily commute car. Still, can get decent MK1's now for a smidge over 8k :D :cool:

I've driven a 'tuned' elise and I felt sorry for the poor thing.

All this hype and it didn't have any 'go' to speak off.

Yes it will handle well on flat surfaces, but away from a tight track it's out of it's depth. Very underpowered.

The supra is bliss over 120

I don't think that the Elise can even *reach* 120 (if the wind turbulence and road noise doesn't get you first)

One is a track car, the other a GT

So let me get this right...."at legal speeds".... (eg 70mph) ...."it's fantastically fast"....erm....that'll be 70mph then!

But my Supra does that. And so does Angies Supra - and her Audi!

FANTASTIC!!!!!!

:p

OK OK you so know i meant acceleration at and up to legal speeds. Yes doing 120 is fab but how often do you manage it and for how long before mr sensible head says watch your petrol gauge and liscense sonny. My NA used to hit a real flat spot around 120 as well btw. My TT was just about to display its abilities at that speed. Lets face it an elise isn't a bad lookin car. It can get you to 60 fairly sharpish, handles like a dream and is reputed to do 50 mpg if you take it easy which id diesel territory.

Have had my n/a for a month or so now and do about 200 miles per week in it, i think it is an awesome car, sure not as fast as tt etc but it is a quick car compared to most on the road, and the pull from 5000 rpm is magic, i get around 20-23 mpg out of it, my dad has a new golf gti which does about 25 to the gallon but it cost him £22,000. I had a Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v before which did 30 mpg combined and did not feel or look this good(obviously).I had to thrash it to get anything out of it hence 30mpg. 0-60 on n/a is very impressive for the weight. Golf gti is much lighter yet 0-60 is about the same and only 20bhp less, same for ctr etc

Most impressed with Supra and think I am now officially converted!

Pretty much decided im getting a DC5 i think so thanks for all your advice.

Trouble is tescos (current insurers) wont insure me on it until im 25 so im going to wait until my policy runs out (in 4 months) so i get another years NCB

Shame really

p.s. hadnt considered an elise and quite fancy one just the insurance is a problem

p.s. p.s. i guess it would keep up with the new golf GTI that clarkson raves so much about so kinda guess its not that slow really just not quick enough for me